The Wounded Land, Chapter 26: Coercri

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

8O Fire Daughter, you finished the book already? Didn't you say you were just starting on it a few days ago? Not only do I have to put up with speed typists like Fist around here, looks like I have to deal with speed readers. ;)

I must surely read as slowly as Mr. Donaldson himself. :wink:

Er, anyway, I'm glad that The Wounded Land has meaning for you. It's grim stuff to be sure, but that makes the ending caamora even more special and vivid.

Hope you have a great time with the rest of the Second Chronicles! :)
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

hehehe :lol: I had it read in two days. I couldn't put it down! :D I'm in the middle of The One Tree right now, and am finding it just a little hard to get through. Lucky for me, I live with a Chronicles expert. :D

I would love to read and respond to more of these dissections, they rock!! So far, I've read all my mother's and the one Isaiah (ShadowLurker) did. :)

And hey Mr Faith... My mom says I get my writing and reading abilities from my Uncle Steve, so maybe he's the one guiding my hand a bit here. The Chronicles were his favorite books :D :D
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

hehe - "Mr. Faith" :lol:
Not only is this young lady brilliant, she's polite too, eh Fist? ;)

Agreed with all - this is like a caamora for all of us, after the grief of what we get from reading the Wounded Land. I always feel sort of renewed after this chapter.
"You're afraid of yourself."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

When people say "Mr. Faith," I turn around and look for my father.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Fist and Faith wrote:When people say "Mr. Faith," I turn around and look for my father.
:haha: :haha:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

One thing to keep in mind -- this passage here is also a foreshadowing of the three great ordeals to come for the healing of the Land. When Covenant plunges himself into the Banefire (and Linden quenches it) to purge the venom (and fails because it's Foul's creation and not his own), then when wild magic in Foul's grasp burns away the Despiser's own venom, and finally when Linden (as Covenant with the Giants) calls the wounded Earthpower into herself with wild magic, and heals it with the Law...

Powerful foreshadowing, indeed.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

*psssssssst* tonyz, you should put that in spoilers. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

I thought I would bump this up.

Of the many chapters my mother did, this was the one that she was most proud of. Not only was it her favorite chapter in all the The Chronicles, but it was also her favorite chapter of anything she had ever read.

I remember her saying when she finished its dissection that she was so honored to be the one to do it. And that she hoped that she did it justice. I may be just a bit biased, but if the Watch ever had a Dissecting The Land Hall of Fame, I think my mother's dissection of coercri should be the very first inductee.

I am biased though.
Furls Fire wrote:Come! This is the caamora! come and be healed!

Sweet mercy, nothing compares... absolutely nothing...
You're right, Mom. Nothing does.
For Myles--
To make you feel my love

For Mom--

Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Just taking a stroll across the watch now I'm mid-way through rereading the Second Chronicles - chanced to look up the dissection of this chapter, since it is such a powerful, emotive chapter - there was a lot to live up to when dissecting it, but, by God, the dissection here succeeded and some!

It's such a shame that these dissections don't appear on the What's New section - so bumping doesn't appear to be effective.

Also just to say that the sharing of chapters like this with other accolytes does, undoubtedly, enhance the experience.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I finished TWL last night and searched this morning for a dissection of this particular chapter.

This thread should be the one that every new Watchie (provided they have read TWL) should be directed to. Never mind about what else goes on on the Watch, this is pure SRD and TC. This is why we are all here. Who could refuse to recognise the beauty of this chapter, and of Furl's dissection of it?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

:goodpost:
So say we all...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Furls Fire wrote:Ah, my Watch brothers and sisters, take hold of your handkerchiefs, get a fresh box of tissues, for we are about to enter Coercri, the ancient city of the Unhomed. I have recently learned that Coercri may mean “Crying Heart”, an appropriate name considering what came to pass there. And, oh how it must cry, for a ceaseless abomination continues to play out within the ancient walls of The Grieve. It cries for the souls of the Unhomed, Foamfollower’s people.
Truth indeed! It's an emotionally wrenching and soulfully cleansing chapter that I must concede rivals my favorite chapter from all the Chronicles books, "Lord Mhoram's Victory".
Furls Fire wrote:Ah, my heart!! To hear a Giant sing again!!
I've never been able to forget how grateful I was to know Giants still lived in the world the first time I read The Wounded Land. Most of the book had become a bleak litany of what had been lost, then the story became much more bearable once the Giants had been found again.

This is a chapter with a lot happening, and so many details to savor. So I'm glad that Furls made the editorial choice to delve into a lot of specifics; it really channels its deep emotional effect on readers! To be with Giants again, to see their former lands and then see many of them healed! It's an overwhelming and ultimately euphoric rush.
Fire Daughter wrote:In this one line...

Come! This is the caamora! Come and be healed!

All the emotion and heartache of The Wounded Land just crashes down on you like a tidal wave...and as you watch the Giants flow into Covenant's wild magic caamora the grief is washed away by all the tears that fall like a flood. The triumph and the majesty of that one moment.... Oh my lord....I have never read anything so powerful, it literally made my chest cave in.

It's moments like this that make me love reading.
YES!!! :read: :banana: :beer: :twirl: :dance: :goodpost: :grinlove: :cheers: :yeehaa: :clap: :swoon: :nanaparty: :7up: :letsparty:

Thanks to dlbpharmd for recommending I look at this dissection; it was really worth it!
I relived a truly great chapter.
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

This is the crown jewel of my mom's dissections...glad you enjoyed it, Cord Hurn. :)
For Myles--
To make you feel my love

For Mom--

FireSon
Stonedownor

Post by FireSon »

Furls Fire wrote:Oh, sigh, now my friends, come with me, we will now enter The Grieve. We will follow Thomas Covenant as he leads us down into the first levels of the great Giant city. Can you feel it? Even without any Land Sense at all we can feel the sorrow, the profound grief, we can hear the “crying heart” of Coercri weep. Yet, our feet descend into The Grieve, down the Giant wrought stairways of stone, down into the Unhomed’s dwellings, where they lived in song and laughter; told their giantish tales that went on for days. We follow Ur-Lord Thomas Covenant in silence as he leads us into the ancient halls and rooms, down long Giantish corridors, we follow him, our eyes searching the wondrous and glorious heartwork of the Unhomed: we follow him to a closed door. Our hearts begin to pound, our eyes tear, we watch as Seadreamer and Brinn wrench that door open and what we see sends spasms of horror and grief through us. We weep.
Well said, Mom!

I love reading what my mom wrote about these books and especially what she wrote about Coercri. Like her and my sister, I view it as the best chapter in both the first and second chronicles. There are other great moments, of course, but Coercri is my favorite. And my mom knew just how to write about it. :-)
Be still heart, hold peace, and be still.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

FireSon wrote:And my mom knew just how to write about it.
Indeed she did, FireSon! It's a great chapter, and a great dissection! She left us a lot of great gifts on the Watch with her wonderful posts!

Return to “2nd Chronicles”