End of AMTR Question? *Spoilers*

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

End of AMTR Question? *Spoilers*

Post by Revan »

How come Vagel didn't kill Havelock?

I mean Vagel was the most powerful Imager that ever lived... How did he come to get killed by a man out of his skull? It just doesn't make sense to me :?
Last edited by Revan on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Maybe you should add a spoiler warning or choose another title?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Done both :D

So... how come Havelock didn't die?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well a number of reasons--Vagel was surronded by some pretty powerful friends Eremis was strong, Gilbur was very strong and Gart was always just around the corner, or so he thought. Vagel was also older than Havelock- remember Havelock was a young Imager in the Cadwal cabal when Vagel was running it.

Just because an Imager is powerful doesn't mean he's powerful physically or magically--that's what's so cool about these books-they're NOT wizards-they can do neat stuff, but without mirrors they're just normal humans. Also, Havelock had suprize and history on his side-all the reports Eremis gave Vagel prob said; he's mad, he's weak, he's harmless...and then he appears out of nowhere.

Vagel was exhausted by all the Imaging he had done, or just done... and all his help had been compromised-Eremis engaged w/Terisa, Gilbur engaged by Geraden. Yes Vagel wasn't afraid of Geraden because he thought Gart was just around the corner, after Artagel came into the picture that wasn't the case anymore.
Last edited by danlo on Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

That about sums it up there Danlo..... 8)
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Sometimes people who are mad can show nearly super human strength. This is well known on pysch wards...I might be wrong, but I have always thought that perhaps in violent situations that mad people might not have that "caution" the rest of us have, to avoid self-made pain or harm. ie. perhaps it is a lack in the self-preservation instinct...most people would stop hitting someone if it broke their hands and caused pain, where a mad man might not... Think about it. It takes a lot of strength to drive a tree branch through somebody. 8O 8O And a lot of determination, too, I would think. 8O 8O
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah... I was glad Havelock enjoyed himself by killing Vagel :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I don't know about that-he was kinda sad about it afterwards :?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah... but he was also mad... so you can't really trust his reactions... :?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well, call me overly optimistic but I felt that his continued action, or calls to action, in the 2nd book helped to restore him towards some kind of sanity.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:Well, call me overly optimistic but I felt that his continued action, or calls to action, in the 2nd book helped to restore him towards some kind of sanity.
Yeah... I agree... And the kind of sanity he was in...
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

danlo wrote:Well, call me overly optimistic but I felt that his continued action, or calls to action, in the 2nd book helped to restore him towards some kind of sanity.
Quite the opposite imo. Havelock is really stretching himself for all those years he's mad until the end of the books. He has big problems controlling his tongue and at any moment could accidentally let slip something vital to their enemies (or even their friends) that would ruin all his plans.

After they win their victory he can finally start relaxing and we see how much good that does him.

By the way was it a tree branch that he skewered Vagel on or was it his feather-duster? We saw him prepare this unconventional weapon for a long time and he must have had some purpose for having it. Was it a disguised spike under all those feathers perhaps?

Return to “Mordant's Need”