TMOHD Chapter 20 : Family Matters

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

TMOHD Chapter 20 : Family Matters

Post by Earthblood »

Before the "Dans" have a fit on me......

Gart has disappeared once again and now Artagel is seriously hurt, Geraden is totally in shock & Terisa is once again clueless...or is she???

Elega stands up to Lebbick and puts a serious "slam" on the Castellan:
"Castellan", she interposed firmly, "you are not surprised to learn that the lady Terisa has an enemy who wishes her dead. You are only surprised that her enemy is a man as important and dangerous as the High King's Monomach. And you are surprised that he has such freedom of movement in Orison, despite the fact that you are responsible for such matters."
Ouch - that had to sting a little......

Elega takes Terisa back to her rooms, trying to get her to say anything that might make her understand why Terisa is the object of so much of Garts attention.
"What do you think I can do?"
is Terisa's only response, but she can tell Elega is up to something, or has at least, something in the works with Kragen & Nyle.

After Elega tends to Terisa's cut face, she comes to the real question at hand.

Terisa says:
"I wish I could see it," Terisa admitted lamely,."Where I come from, that's all we use mirrors for. To see ourselves."
To which Elega responds:
"for that reason we have maids, so that women who care for the decoration of their appearance will not make fools of themselves."
Elega cannot comprehend the use of flat mirrors without translation and that people can look into flat glass without being "lost in translation" so therefore, Terisa must have a special power and this is why Gart is after her. Terisa has no concept of what, if any special "power" she might possess, but Elega is convinced and determines to see that she is protected, by herself!! Terisa can't see how this can be done without the knowledge of the King and she starts to point out Elega's plans to join with Kragen & betray the King.
Spoiler
She might be on to something here ;)
Elega goes off in a huff and Terisa is once again alone. She feels she has made a mistake by denying Elega (she catches on fast, doesn't she??), but she still has no idea of what power she might possess, and even if she did, she has no idea what to do with "power"

Geraden shows up & Terisa does her best to comfort him, and in the end she gives him the whole story of Elega's offer for protection which leads to why she was left alone when Gart found her - she had been following Nyle & he was meeting Kragen when she saw him. This starts to make sense to Geraden, knowing Nyle's affinity toward Elega. He decides he must tell someone and that is no other than the Tor.
He hurried all the way to the King's apartment without tripping once.
Any one else catch that sentence????

Their encounter with the Tor is sad, in my eyes. He seemingly can order anyone to do anything (except Lebbick, of course), but it galls him that Joyce is "playing hop-board with Adept Havelok, while his realm crumbles."
"It appears that I have chosen a foolish way to grieve for my son."
But Geraden showed some signs of leadership & strength when he pushed passed the Tor's grief & straight to the point - I NEED YOU - I CAN ONLY TRUST A FRIEND OF MY FATHERS (remember the chapter's title?)
He quickly fills the Tor in on Elega, Kragen & Nyle and asks for his help.

I think this is where I really start to like the Tor - this is where he shows his leadership & his mettle (even tho its a bit 'muddled' in wine). He joins in Geraden's plan & agrees to accost (as it were) the Castellan.

As they leave each other Terisa gives Geraden a needed touch,
"I'm proud of you."
and thier bond seems to grow even tighter........

The next couple of days leave Terisa mostly to her own & she thinks alot about what has happened, what she's doing there, what's her dress going to look like and oh yeah.....where is Eremis????

Master Barsonage comes to her utterly at a loss for not being able to foresee or protect her from being attacked. He is astonished to learn this was the third attack because he wasn't told of the 2nd attack by Eremis and he tells her that Eremis has gone home to Esmerel.

Now Barsonage wants to know why she was attacked - pretty much the same reasoning as Elega, except Barsonage is strictly worried about the Congery, which he announces has been disbanded because of thier percieved inadequacies.

He finally comes down to it & poses the question at hand - I knew they knew her purpose here,
"Are you not an Imager?"
they would serve her, otherwise, they will serve no one, as Joyse is no longer able to give them direction, aside from thier primary purpose assigned by Joyce - to only try to do good & tranlsate no thing without its consent.

Terisa gets a bit indignant and emphatically tells him:
I am not an Imager
Barsonage then gives her a bit of truth - without the Congery, Imagery must become evil, because it will only be used by High King Festten or the Alend Monarch or whoever takes control - and the only ones who really will suffer are the innocents of the world.
You are the answer, my lady. You must not leave us to ruin.

No pressure or anything, just save our world, OK???

I really like this next line from Terisa:
"I'll tell you the truth about me - as soon as I find out what it is. If it turns out to be an answer, it'll help both of us"
Sounds like some one who could really "mean" something to Mordant....

She tells Geraden about the disbanding of the Congery and he takes it laughing, as usual, but you know it hurts him deeply - he spent his whole life trying to become part of it, but she is still the answer...
Either Geraden is a great & all powerful imager, or imagery as they know it is false - if she is real, then she can't just be something that was created in an image......

Eventually they make their way to Artagel, who is on the mend, but still hurting, Geraden gets word from the Tor who has been reprimanded by Elega for accusing her of treason against her father and finally they get the message:
"Got Nyle. See Artagel."
Artagel gves us a fast, soldier's account of the conversation, leaving very little doubt that Nyle was in it up to his ears and was asking a lot of interesting questions. We are brought a little into the family of the sons of the Dommne and learn that there is a great love between them all.

Now, as I am very tired & have been typing for nearly 2 hours, I am going to take the liberty of shortening the end of the chapter up and let you all take a shot a further dissection of this last part....

Nyle gets away and after a long, cold chase, Geraden, Terisa, Argus & Ribuld finally come upon the end of Nyle's trail:
Directly below her a horse champed at the cold. Near it a man with his back to her stood beside a small fire that burned almost without smoke. She took him to be Nyle. His fire seemed so wonderful to her that she could practically taste its warmth. On the other side of the bottom, four men were busy securing more horses. Three of them looked like bodyguards. The fourth was Prince Kragen.
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Nyle - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Great job Earthy -- and yes, Dissections can really take it out of you, can't they?

I need to read the chapter again before responding in depth, but yes -- Geraden and Terisa are starting to really "grow up"...and are beginning to grow into their roles.

And the Tor is great!!!!!!!!! :R :S :R
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Worth waiting for Earthy! Master Barsonage is so solid and down to earth that I particullarly enjoy any chapter in which he makes an appearance. This one is not one of his best as he is distraught and preoccupied--but when he says, "Eremis is in Esmerel" a sigh of relief washes though me, not to mention some heavy-duty suspicions... :?
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Indeed -- I am both glad that the creep isn't around to hit on/manipulate Terisa -- and deeply suspicious of what he might be off doing in the Care of Tor. I do not trust that man at all! :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
Love as thou wilt.

Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Gee, A guy puts a "small" picture of himself on his door and nobody likes him anymore.......

I dont even think Saddith really likes him, but theres a whole nother thread on that, I think ;)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Is that the only image we see of a person in Mordant?

The image of him in his door is a bit suspicious in that people view even the possiblility of seeing their own images (such as in a pool of water) with such dismay and apprehension...
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I really like Barsonage, he's decent. And love the Tor... He's a great guy :D I like this chapter also.
Spoiler
P.S. I hate Gilbur and Eremis
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Thats an interesting point Duchess - I can't recall any other images of people described......

Return to “Casting the Augury”