Star Wars: Will the last trilogy become a reality?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Should a third trilogy be filmed? Would you watch it?

Heck yeah! Gimme more and more and more!
54%
No way. The second trilogy sucked. No more please!
31%
I couldn't care less one way or another.
15%

Total votes: 13

aTOMiC
Lord

Star Wars: Will the last trilogy become a reality?

Post by aTOMiC »

Given that Lucas has at times in the past mentioned a third trilogy, one wonders if a few years from now with the glory of episode III fading and tanalizing new filmmaking technologies available if GL might consider giving it a go. There are book story lines that suggest that Luke is destined to be some kind of god-like super jedi. If this is the possible future for the Star Wars saga it might have some interesting aspects. Would we want to see another 3 films after what we've seen of the second trilogy? I'm not sure. I'm such a Star Wars dink, I'd almost watch anything. Lucas has stated that he has no interest in exploring Star Wars beyong Ep. III. He did mention in times past that he had no interest in filming a second trilogy, so who knows?
Last edited by aTOMiC on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

No No and No. I would not allow it. The second trilogy was utter crap. I don't want another one...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I understand how you feel, Rev. I'm worried that EP. III will suck so bad I'll swear off Star Wars forever. But it may be so good it will justify suffering through EP. I. Who knows? I'll always like the first trilogy no matter what.

Luke the Jedi-god. Hmmm...
I should write a fan fic. :D

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

:D Good idea... maybe we should write one together. :D
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Darth Revan wrote::D Good idea... maybe we should write one together. :D

Great. You write for the Sith Lord, Darth Apocalypse.
Remember he’s 30 feet tall kills without provocation and is constantly crackling with brilliant crimson energy.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

How about 3 feet tall? That might add some amusement :lol:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

First of all, I like Episodes I & II. Except for Jar Jar, of course. But I think GL needs to stop at III. I can't imagine anything he could write after episode VI that would be worth seeing.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I wouldn't mind seeing a third trilogy. The idea of Luke Skywalker becoming a god-like super Jedi is very interesting to me. If the final 3 Episodes were to truly deal with such a storyline, I would be excited. If Lucas goes in another direction, I'd still be interested. Star Wars has strong claims on my loyalty. But if Lucas does go ahead with a third trilogy, it might be good for him to do these things:

1) Allow 2 of the 3 films to be helmed by different directors. You did it with Empire and Jedi, George. Why not here? The franchise could benefit from a fresh perspective once again. Maybe your pal Steven is still interested. A Spielberg Star Wars film is definitely something I'd go to see.

2) Stop using the "kiddie film" excuse. Look, George, I know you want to appeal to the young ones and sell the cute action figures, but how about making a movie that doesn't insult the intelligence of original SW fans like me who have actually grown up over the years? Indeed, I wouldn't say the original Star Wars and Empire were mere kiddie films. Fact is, the movies have been regressing, not progressing. Is it any wonder The Matrix captured my imagination and not Phantom Menace?

3) Write dialogue, not essays. This has always been a weakness of Lucas. Remember the verbal sparring between Han and Leia in the original films? Much of the good stuff was ad-libbed by Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. But without a straight up guy like Harrison on the prequels to tell George his dialogue sucks, the actors are stuck saying lines that are stiff as a constipated Bantha.

There's more, but 3 is a nice number. 3 points for 3 movies. I'm not asking for much, am I? :)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I don't know how many times I'm going to follow MM with a post that says "Bravo! I totally agree. You da man" but this appears to be another one. You could't be more correct about the dialog. I think a Spielberg episode is way over due and would end up being a fan favorite. :D

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Why, thanks, TOM C. It's a good question. You have a good point about Lucas possibly being tempted to do a third series because of advances in filmmaking technology. Or maybe he will want to do a third series in order to advance film technology. I think he would want to maintain Star Wars as a showcase of technical innnovation.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Matrixman wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a third trilogy. The idea of Luke Skywalker becoming a god-like super Jedi is very interesting to me. If the final 3 Episodes were to truly deal with such a storyline, I would be excited. If Lucas goes in another direction, I'd still be interested. Star Wars has strong claims on my loyalty. But if Lucas does go ahead with a third trilogy, it might be good for him to do these things:

1) Allow 2 of the 3 films to be helmed by different directors. You did it with Empire and Jedi, George. Why not here? The franchise could benefit from a fresh perspective once again. Maybe your pal Steven is still interested. A Spielberg Star Wars film is definitely something I'd go to see.

2) Stop using the "kiddie film" excuse. Look, George, I know you want to appeal to the young ones and sell the cute action figures, but how about making a movie that doesn't insult the intelligence of original SW fans like me who have actually grown up over the years? Indeed, I wouldn't say the original Star Wars and Empire were mere kiddie films. Fact is, the movies have been regressing, not progressing. Is it any wonder The Matrix captured my imagination and not Phantom Menace?

3) Write dialogue, not essays. This has always been a weakness of Lucas. Remember the verbal sparring between Han and Leia in the original films? Much of the good stuff was ad-libbed by Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. But without a straight up guy like Harrison on the prequels to tell George his dialogue sucks, the actors are stuck saying lines that are stiff as a constipated Bantha.

There's more, but 3 is a nice number. 3 points for 3 movies. I'm not asking for much, am I? :)
Couldn't agree more... The story is amazing... but the way George tells it sucks. :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

My understanding is that there will be a 3rd trilogy, but Lucas won't do any more himself. Of course, I read that back when Epi I came out, and it could have been speculation. BTW, I totally agree with Matrixman.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

I've always heard that he refuses (thankfully) to do the final 3 episodes, and that he's turned other people down to make them as well.

But once he dies, his heirs will need to make a buck I figure, so selling the right to episodes 7-9 is practically a given.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Byrn
Giantfriend

Post by Byrn »

Well, they can't do a third Trilogy. Have you guys seen Mark Hamil recently, he hasn't aged well. Not to mention Harrison Ford is now in his sixties. The actors who are needed to do the films right are either dead or too old anymore.
"What is the land to air speed ratio of a laden swallow?"
https://www.noiraqdraft.com/impact.php? ... a211109cb0
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Are you saying that they couldn't find people willing to do the parts? Lol. There's gotta be at least one of them that looks like Luke +10-15 years.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

It is possible that by the time a third trilogy becomes a reality, CGI technology might have advanced enough that a believable likeness of Luke could be voice acted by Hamill & Company or convincing sound a likes. I suspect that said technology is only a few years away.

kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

He takes his time doing them, but yes, I'd like to see more. But right now I'm waiting for EIII....and I totally agree with you MM and what you said in your post...and it doesn't necessarily have to be with Mark Hamill...

kasten
Theo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Theo »

I can't really fathom neither why nor how a third trilogy should be made, but then I said that about the second trilogy too (and, more to the point, I stick by it). The effect of the second trilogy so far has only been to shrink and demystify the world and undercut the epic feel of the original. Since Lucas seems intent on filling up all the holes and turning the, in the first movies mostly just implied, universe into a closed system, there wouldn't really be anywhere for a third trilogy to go, IMO.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

It took a decade plus or minus but we finally got an definitive answer to my original question.

Yes.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

But, is it the same story as Lucas initially envisioned?

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”