Tolkein Mythology Trivia Game

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

No. Keep thinking. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Nom? Or was that what Boer's people gave to him? -
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

It begins with L Darth. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Isildurs Bane
Woodhelvennin

Post by Isildurs Bane »

Felagund advised Beor to cross the Gelion and move to the lands of Amrod and Amaras in a place later known as Estolad, the Encampment
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

variol son wrote:What was the name of the land that Finrod gave to Beor's descendants?
My husband Paul ventures a guess...

Is it Langstrand?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Isildurs Bane wrote:Felagund advised Beor to cross the Gelion and move to the lands of Amrod and Amaras in a place later known as Estolad, the Encampment
True. But then Brormir, son of Boron, son of Baran, son of Beor, was given the land of Ladros by Finrod. Ladros was in the north, near Dorthonion.

New question. Who was the last High King of the Noldor in Middle Earth?

Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

'Gil-galad was an Elven-king,
Of him the minstrels sadly sing:
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the Mountains and the Sea.'
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Your turn. :D

Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Sure, make me read the thread and see what's already been asked!

Here's one:

Túrin son of Húrin, despite his heroic qualities, was a walking disaster area. When he was war leader of Nargothrond, he did something that eventually caused the destruction of the kingdom, though Ulmo himself warned him not to. What was it?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Ye Gads, its been too long since i read the Silmarilion.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I have never noticed thsi thread!

Are you talkign about his leading an open war and not heeding Arminas and Gelmir' s message from Ulmo to again conceal Nargothrond and the Bridge?
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

That's the one, Ainulindale:
In [i]The Silmarillion[/i], JRRT wrote:'Hear the words of the Lord of Waters!' said they to the King. 'Thus he spoke to Círdan the Shipwright: "The Evil of the North has defiled the springs of Sirion, and my power withdraws from the fingers of the flowing waters. But a worse thing is yet to come forth. Say therefore to the Lord of Nargothrond: Shut the doors of your fortress and go not abroad. Cast the stones of your pride into the loud river, that the creeping evil may not find the gate."'

Orodreth was troubled by the dark words of the messengers, but Túrin would by no means hearken to these counsels, and least of all would he suffer the great bridge to be cast down; for he was become proud and stern, and would order all things as he wished.
Your turn, A.!
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

Hmmm....my first question, so I'll make it simple:

Give the names of the individual Nazgul that are specified by Tolkien.

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Only two as far as I remember; The Witch King of Angmar, who is the chief of the Nazgul, and Khamul the Black Easterling, who is more powerful than all the other Ringwriaths, except the Witch King of course.

How's that Ainulindale? :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

You got the answer right. The Witch King is of course not a name, but the one I was looking for was Khamul, the only one named.

Your turn.

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

What is the dwarvish name for their maker?

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

What is the dwarvish name for their maker?
Mahal = Aule

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

GO AINULINDALE, GO!

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

What ws the name of the first Mearas and who named it?
Last edited by Ainulindale on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I think it was Nahar, the horse of Orome, who named it. Might be wrong though. :D

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”