The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Foul sunbane-warped the urviles and sent them after the party when they were coming from Revelstone (the second time). Vain goes down to extract some vengence for what they did to the Wayhnim coverts, and Hollian changes the cycle of the sunbane to help the party escape.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Woo hoo! He answered my question. *does the dark dance of joy* Y'know, for some reason that's the exact answer (or lack therof :mrgreen: ) I expected. If the roles were reversed, I think I would've answered the same way (and the "Yes. Both." is pure karma rebate).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

dlb,

What he means is that the statue is likening Bannor to Covenant, but also Covenant to Bannor. Its telling Bannor that the path he is on is going to lead him to self-hatred and powerlessness that Covenant feels (hence Foul's disfiguring of the Bloodguard as a way to mock their vow's corruption.)

Likewise, Covenant is warned against requiring too solid of an answer regarding the land and his own essence as the white-gold. There is only right and wrong for the bloodguard, and as long as TC remains in that mindset he is inherently crippled and unable to battle the Despiser.

Keep in mind that this is the same sculpture that revealed the nature of the Ritual of Desecration to Mhoram- it basically states that absolutism is wrong; Mhoram finds that the oath of peace is wrong for the very same reason that the Bloodguard break their vow and Covenant is unable to use the white-gold: its too absolute. Once Covenant decides that it doesn't matter if the land exists or not he becomes powerful. Once Mhoram is able to look upon his own despair and his own needs and wants to cause harm, he finds the strength to defeat the Raver.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

HE ANSWERED MY QUESTION!

8O

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Juan Valdez
Woodhelvennin

Post by Juan Valdez »

..to be sure.....
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I was surprised that he was so animated with this batch of answers. A couple of "grins" and everything! Still, I'm not sure enough about his sense of humor to ask him this one:
Your wife... is she a goer? Eh? Eh? Know what I mean? Eh? Is she a goer? nudge nudge wink wink Eh?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

I dont follow Fist... lol.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

SRD wrote:But as far as I personally am concerned, the GAP books are the supreme achievement of my writing life so far... they are considerably more complex and subtle than say, the "Covenant" books. And I believe that they probe more deeply into the nature of good and evil.
Yaaa-a-a-y!!! My fave is SRD's fave!!

*temporarily abandoning philosophy :P *
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Fist and Faith wrote:Your wife... is she a goer? Eh? Eh? Know what I mean? Eh? Is she a goer? nudge nudge wink wink Eh?
say no more ... say no more ...

(but I believe that's an entirely different thread :D )
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Yeah Fist, i'm pretty sure that Sky and I locked and deleted that thread. :P

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Wow, SRD sure is takin' care of business with the questions! Congrats to caamora, variol son and TOM C!

Tom's question was one I've had on my mind for years as well. I'm glad SRD doesn't generally mind fan fiction. And to think, he actually wrote a novella about Thor, one of my favorite comic book heroes! Sweet! :D 8)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Matrixman wrote:Wow, SRD sure is takin' care of business with the questions! Congrats to caamora, variol son and TOM C!

Tom's question was one I've had on my mind for years as well. I'm glad SRD doesn't generally mind fan fiction. And to think, he actually wrote a novella about Thor, one of my favorite comic book heroes! Sweet! :D 8)
One question, MM. Would you like to get your hands on that Thor story? 8O :D :!:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

TOM C wrote:One question, MM. Would you like to get your hands on that Thor story? 8O :D :!:
Right??? Holy cow!!!! 8O I'm a huge fan of Simonson's Thor, but I wouldn't be surprised if SRD's turned out to be a new favorite.

Seppi, it's a Monty Python skit of the silliest magnitude. :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Amazing answer to my question, and I was even expecting an answer of that sort too. But, I thought since there was a thread awhile back on Covenant's leprosy and whether it would still be the disease of "choice" now that it's curable, his thoughts on using AIDS would be of interest. Since it was brought up in that thread... (which I can't find right now, btw)...
Mr. Donaldson wrote:If I were starting all over again now, would Covenant's illness still be leprosy? I'm not sure that question has a meaningful answer. If I were starting all over again now, I would be a different person (and writer) than the man who wrote the original "Chronicles." I might not write those books at all. But consider two things. 1) Where I grew up, leprosy was extremely familiar. My parents worked in a leprosarium. They hired lepers. I encountered them every day. Even today, my personal knowledge of, say, AIDS is trivial compared to my knowledge of leprosy. 2) In the context of the original "Chronicles," leprosy "works": it has an organic relationship with the characters, the themes, and the world. A different illness would demand a different story: different characters, different themes, different world. And (see (1) above) a different writer.

As a side note: this appears to contradict an earlier answer in which I claimed that I don't base my writing on personal experience. That remains true even where leprosy is concerned. I was "familiar" with it; but I was a kid, and I never gave it a moment's thought. Covenant--and, by extension, the Land and the first "Chronicles"--is based, not on my experience, but on my father's. He was the one who knew and cared what it was like to be a leper. And he supplied me with all of the "facts" I needed for my story.

(04/14/2004)
He's so awesome!!! :D :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

I've read that leprosy is curable now -- does that mean the nerves are restored, or just that no further damage is done. And this is different from 'remission' because it's permanent, and the disease can't come back?

Just curious...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Seems like it. From the CDC -
Worldwide, 1-2 million persons are permanently disabled as a result of Hansen's disease. However, persons receiving antibiotic treatment or having completed treatment are considered free of active infection.
It sounds like the nerve damage is permanent, though. They mention management of it, which makes me think of VSE.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

As a general rule, nerve tissue doesn't regenerate, whether severely damaged by disease or by injury (breaking your back or neck, for instance). From the sound of it, the disease is cured in that it cannot be passed on to another person, or cause further damage to the victim -- but that doesn't mean any severe damage already done can be undone. :(

I've heard researchers are working on ways to repair nerve tissues. Christopher Reeves, the actor who played Superman, who was crippled in a horse back riding accident, is a spokesman for such efforts. I'm not sure how far along they are in their efforts...
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I seem to remember a while back that Reeve took a few steps as a result of that research. Haven't heard recently.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

maybe I should repost my two questions... I posted them 2 months ago
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”