The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Patch
Servant of the Land

Mine was answered!

Post by Patch »

Woooo Hoooo!

I have communicated with a legend! I was in total awe of SRD just from reading his books.... now I think I must worship him! Wish I could afford to go to Elohimfest!

For the curious ones: I am the one that asked if we were going back to a healthy Land. (03/23/2004)

-Patch
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Don (dlbpharmd): Mr. Donaldson, as many have said above, thank you for writing my all-time favorite story, and thank you for continuing that story. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Runes to be published!

It seems, particularly in the 1st Chronicles, that so much of what is happening to Covenant physically is mirrored in the Land. For example, when his leprosy is at its worst, the Land is suffering under Foul's winter. My question: Is there any correlation between the onset of Covenant's leprosy and the enacting of the Ritual of Desecration?

When I planned the first "Chronicles," the relationship between Covenant's leprosy and the Land's plight was foremost in my mind. In fact, I designed the Land as a reverse reflection of Covenant's dilemma; and as the story progressed I consciously brought those two opposing images closer together until they were virtually superimposed.

However, the specific detail that you're asking about never actually crossed my mind. It's embarrassing, really, since it seems so obvious now that you raise it. But I didn't think of it for the same reason that I can't write prequels: as I suggested in an earlier answer, all of my attention is focused *forward*, on the ending. So I set up my reflections and then pursued their implications. I never asked myself about the implications of what might have happened *before* my starting point.

Everything that I've ever created about "the past" in any of my stories is there because it helps me get where I'm going: it doesn't exist for its own sake. In this important sense, if in no other, the Land is less "real" than, say, Middle Earth. Its history does not exist independent of "current events."

(04/13/2004)
There it is folks, the question that has plagued me for > 20 years! I'm as happy as I can be!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Good questions. Ever notice all authors pretty much answer the first question the same, though?

I just wish he'd get to my question, already. It's pretty much an either or answer. :x Guess I should've buttered him up first. ;)
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Awesome! SRD answered my questions. I'm surprised at how much he loves 'heart of darkness' - I can't see the genius in Conrad that so many others do. But apart from LOTR I havent read the rest ... yet!

And I now have some words directly from SRD for people who cannot continue with a story where the main character commits such an atrocity.

Exciting times.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

SRD likes Conrad! Most excellent.

dlbpharmd, I'm glad you got your question answered! It's about time, since it was you who started this thread. :wink:

Considering his thoughts about past events in the Land, SRD would be pretty amused if he knew of the valiant attempts here at the Watch to figure out the timeline of events going back to creation. I can see SRD going, "Yes, people, very nice, but that's not the point." DOH! :)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

woooooo hoooooooo!! He's started answering again!! :S :S

Great questions too! And the timeline thingie, guess he just blew all of us over analyzers away with that one, huh?? :haha:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Considering his thoughts about past events in the Land, SRD would be pretty amused if he knew of the valiant attempts here at the Watch to figure out the timeline of events going back to creation. I can see SRD going, "Yes, people, very nice, but that's not the point." DOH!
This reminds me of the SNL skit where William Shatner is addressing a bunch of ST fans at a convention and he tells them to "get a life."

I think that if I actually ever got to talk to SRD in person about TCTC he would just look at me sympathetically and ask "You've never kissed a girl, have you?"
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

I love when authors say things like that--his admission that he had never thought of that relationship between the onset of leprosy and the Ritual is cool. :)

I'm curious why he dropped the correlation between Covenant's leprosy and the Land's condition with the 2nd Chrons. Maybe it passed to Joan, but I suspect he considered that correlation as part of the "Is the Land real or not" question which he was finished dealing with and didn't want to re-hash in the 2nd chrons...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I don't believe he dropped the correlation at all--Covenant's dying on the altar after being stabbed-the knife, in our world, is the venom, the shock and worsening is the Elohim shutting him down. And yes the leprosy-Land-effect does transfer from TC to Joan's craziness as he is being sacrificed in her place: "give them back something broken"-but you also have to factor Linden's dark past into it as well---so there's a number of different correlations going on. 8) Right once Covenant decides to fight to save the Land the question of it's reality is unimportant from then on.
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

And Linden is stuck with perceiving every cellular detail of the Land's descent into Sunbane leprosy :( :( :( . The correspondence remains, but she alone is fully aware of it.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Wow, 2 for 2. I'm going to Vegas on these odds.
------------

Joey: The Killing Stroke, Unworthy of the Angel, and Penance (while being short stories) are easily 3 of the most powerful and addicting pieces of literature I think I've ever read. I know you release a short story collection every few years (or decades, lol); Any new collection on the radar?

Sorry. I have two problems (well, two that are relevant to your question). First, I have a one-track mind. When a major project like "The Last Chronicles" is on that track, I don't write or even think about other stories. Second, I've never had a particularly fecund imagination. In other words, I don't get a lot of ideas. Which explains why I have to milk the ones I do get for everything they're worth. <grin>

(04/14/2004)
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Some great questions (and answers) are newly posted on the SRD website - check them out!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:I just wish he'd get to my question, already. It's pretty much an either or answer. :x Guess I should've buttered him up first. ;)
LOL. I didn't butter him up, Syl, and he still answered it. I expect he makes his first choices according to what stirs up an answer in his mind at the moment, and/or what he wants to tell the public.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I got an answer!!!!!!!!!!! :S
The King has one more move.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm very happy. I got an answer as well. :bounce03:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Wow, he's on a roll!!! And such awesome questions! Love the answer about Vain. Way cool!! :D :D

You guys realize that if we keep this up, there'll be nothing left to ask him at Elohimfest.... LOL :lol:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Dang it! He didn't answer my question about the Beatles! He hates me!! :cry:

:roll:
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

He hasn't answered mine, either. Sigh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Guys. Don't worry. If he answered mine he will eventually answer yours. You have to imagine there are probably quite a few questions that he has to wade through. I was anxious like a little kid waiting for Christmas but I knew SRD had his hands full with writing and probably has to find time to respond to fan questions.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Jon-Ross Mallon: First off, I just wanted to say, that I have not read another book which compares to yours in any way... I have read both series of TCOTC many times, and they are by far my favorite books. I have been hoping ever since reading the 2nd series the first time, about 5 years ago, you would come out with another series, and I couldn't be more happy that you are.
My question is about the marrowmeld that Elena made for Convenant, could you elaborate on the symbolism of the cross between Covenant and Bannor in the marrowmeld?

Think of it as the sort of cryptic warning you get from an oracle. The warning to Bannor is fairly straightforward. Look at what happens to Korik, Sill, and Doar in "The Power that Preserves." The warning to Covenant is more subtle. Elena's sculpture hints at the danger for Covenant in the moral absolutism/purity of the Bloodguard.

(04/14/2004)
Could someone elaborate on this for me? This answer went right over my head.
J.R.: Why did the Urviles make Vain, when his purpose went directly agaisnt that of Lord Foul's who they serve?

The ur-viles created Vain *because* his purpose directly opposed Lord Foul's. Somewhere between the first and second "Chronicles"--we must assume--they engaged in a radical reinterpretation of their Weird. Hence the Despiser's attempts to destroy them in "White Gold Wielder."

It's possible the ur-viles realized that they represent(ed) what we might call an evolutionary deadend. It's like this: in the name of their self-loathing, the ur-viles serve Lord Foul, who desires the destruction of the Earth, and who will therefore (if he succeeds) bring about the destruction of the ur-viles. As reasoning goes, that's nice and tidy. But it has a flaw or two. As a form of suicide, it's quite labor-intensive, and demonstrably unreliable. And self-destruction is not the only possible response to self-loathing.

Conceivably the ur-viles were "corrupted" (in a manner of speaking) by the example of the Waynhim, creatures who clearly found a different use for their heritage of Despite.

(04/14/2004)[/
quote]

And please remind me how/where in WGW Foul tries to destroy the ur-viles.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”