The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Solar wrote:I submitted a question to the GI, and SRD sent me a private response. His answer was RAFO, and he said that 'RAFO' was more of a spoiler than he was willing to make public (hence his private reply).

So now I'm stuck with a vague spoiler that nobody knows about but me, and I can't tell anyone about it without betraying SRD's trust.

...Does this happen often?
SRD seems to like to give private responses a lot, but a "Read And Find Out"response? Haven't heard about that! Don't worry, I at least won't try to weasel the question out of you...yet... :twisted: :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Solar
Stonedownor

Post by Solar »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:My Great Aunt has a letter form Tolkien where he answers her questions about whether or not Balrogs literally have wings.
She let me read it on the condition that if I tell anyone she cuts me out of her *considerable* will.
So, until she passes away I keep my mouth shut.
Wow... it must be pretty amazing to hold such a Holy Grail of Tolkien scholarship. The only information more sought-after is the identity of Tom Bombadil, but I suppose that doesn't count since the author himself didn't know. Christopher Tolkien will probably sent his hired goons after you if he gets wind of this...
Orlion wrote:SRD seems to like to give private responses a lot, but a "Read And Find Out"response? Haven't heard about that! Don't worry, I at least won't try to weasel the question out of you...yet... :twisted: :P
I will reveal both the full question and its answer.

In three years or so, that is.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

John: Steve,

how do you like the cover art for AATE?

Cover art is NOT your book - it's not what you wrote and has actually nothing to do with the story you tell, but it occurs to me that a novel, in a way, becomes collaborative work: people buy and read your work, but also they also buy the artists work. Perhaps some people may buy a book because of the cover?

So, are you happy with the cover fir AATE?

John

It's not really good "politics" (for lack of a better word) for me to comment on the cover art for an on-going project. But...oh, well. To my eye, "The Last Chronicles" covers are too static (they don't convey the impression that the book contains a story) and too literal (they don't look like what I had in mind). But the AATE cover is an improvement over FR's: what is *Gandalf* doing on the cover of my book? And AATE is more "accurate" than TROTE.

(06/14/2010)
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

LOL! That's what Mom said about the FR cover too.
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I've always thought the dude on FR looks more like Saurman than Gandalf...but I'm just being picky! ;) :biggrin:
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Well, he looks a bit more like Christopher Lee than Ian McKellen... ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Colin R. Grimes: As a matter of artistic curiosity:

Since you have already started on "The Last Dark" and made a special deal with your publishers to get out of book tours so that you can work on it,
I was wondering if this was prompted solely by the difficulty of the work, or did you find yourself upon completing AATE so caught up/inspired that you just felt you had to plunge right in? My curiosity in this matter was aroused by statements of yours that this is far from your usual practice (i.e. that you don't like to start work on a new book during all the tedium of the process of getting another book ready for publication).

First, I have to say clearly that I did NOT make “a special deal” with my publishers to get out of book tours. I simply preempted their desires by announcing my refusal. They looked baffled for a moment, then said, OK, and, We aren’t really surprised. My contract does not obligate me to help my publishers promote my books.

That said, I do feel a desire to get a jump on “The Last Dark.” The difficulty of the task contributes to my feeling of urgency, no doubt. But I’m sure that much of my internal pressure comes from just how *long* I’ve spent both working on “The Last Chronicles” (9+ years) and waiting to work on “The Last Chronicles” (30+ years). I want to be DONE with the &%^@%& thing. It’s true that I don’t like to start on a new book when I’m constantly interrupted by the chores of preparing the previous book. Those interruptions make me crazy. But these are special circumstances.

Plus, of course, I’m not getting any younger….

(06/20/2010)
I must've missed this announcement. No book tours this time. Oh well, he never came east of the Mississippi anyway.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I think I recall reading it. But yeah, the publishers never paid for him to come out this way anyhow, so whatev.
SRD wrote:I want to be DONE with the &%^@%& thing.
We are right there with ya! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Charles W. Adams: You had stated that you weren't happy with the cover art for the last book (US version), and in fact it really did reveal a lot about what was going to happen in the story.

I can say with certainty (at least for me) that the cover art for this book reveals practically nothing. I'm clueless. The only thing I can derive is that at some point of the book the Worm hasn't consumed the Earth yet (and Chapter 1 revealed that already, and the fact that there's a 4th book is a pretty big clue).

If you do in fact have influence over the cover art, and if you expressed a desire for the cover to be less revealing this time, they seem to have taken your advice.

My US editor knows how I feel about putting Caligula on the cover of "The Runes of the Earth," and especially about putting Gandalf (or Saruman) on "Fatal Revenant." More to the point, she cares how I feel. And she had more lead-time with "Against All Things Ending," so she was able to consult with me fairly closely on the artist's behalf. So far, so good.

(07/02/2010)
I still say the Whelan cover for ROTE is far superior to JJP's. I wish we had Whelan covers for the rest of the series.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Whelan is great...loved his DT illustrations. But don't much like the ones for the Chrons.

--A
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

And she had more lead-time with "Against All Things Ending," so she was able to consult with me fairly closely on the artist's behalf. So far, so good.
Makes me wonder what this says about the importance of the Harrow in AATE...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Does anyone know what "Caligula on the cover of 'The Runes of the Earth'" refers to?

The original Whelan (?) cover had a landscape and some people far off in the distance. Then I guess they re-issued with a Palencar cover with a man and a horse, but he doesn't look like Caligula to me...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:Does anyone know what "Caligula on the cover of 'The Runes of the Earth'" refers to?

The original Whelan (?) cover had a landscape and some people far off in the distance. Then I guess they re-issued with a Palencar cover with a man and a horse, but he doesn't look like Caligula to me...
I don't think I've seen the Palencar cover for Runes. Is that same damn tree in the background?

I liked the Whelan cover...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(heads up: don't google caligula images at work ...)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Yes, that's the Caligula cover
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:(heads up: don't google caligula images at work ...)
LOL! scenes from the x-rated version?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Anonymous: I'm re-reading FR in order to get ready for the release of AATE in October. It is hard for me to believe that I missed all the clues that TC was really Roger. Now that I have had time to take my time and digest the writing, this was rather artfully done. It was like I suspected something was wrong but I was hoping that it wasn't. Everything from the title, to how Roger and Jeremiah spoke and acted, etc..all pointed to a very logical conlusion. Caught with my eyes wide open....

Question: In 2nd chronicles you explored the whole idea of necessity of freedom of choice and even in FR you mention that Joan's ring is not really usable by Roger or Foul to break the arch of time since her mind is broken. But I guess the idea of tricking someone in to giving up their ring is okay?? Seems like semantics. Linden is not freely giving up her ring (with intent)to Roger if she thinks that it is TC, so isn't the ring not really able to help break the arch of time?? In WGW, TC gives up the ring intentionally and that is why LF can make us of it. Thanks for the website, I really enjoy it!

I admit that "the necessity of freedom" can be confusing. But keep in mind that people who have not been explicitly given white gold can still use it (e.g. Linden): they just can't exert its full potential. And beware of comparing unlike situations. If, for instance, Roger had obtained Covenant's ring in the past, he wouldn't need wild magic's full potential in order to commit significant violations of the Land's history, thereby undermining the Arch of Time indirectly.

To that I would add that being tricked or manipulated is not the same as being coerced. With trickery or manipulation, the person handing over the ring is still doing so intentionally. The fact that the person is not aware of all the implications of doing so doesn't change the fact that the person *could* have chosen otherwise. As long as the giver retains the power of choice, the necessity of freedom is satisfied.

Compare Kasreyn in TOT. He's trying to use coercion rather than trickery or manipulation. He tries everything he can except physically cutting off Covenant's finger (which he is probably afraid to do because something deep in Covenant may still be capable of striking back). Well, if he succeeded, he wouldn't acquire anything like the full potential of wild magic. But he doesn't want that: the idea of destroying the Arch of Time would horrify him. All he wants is more power (OK, a *lot* more power) WITHIN the world as he understands it. The power to "create perfect works and fear nothing" (if I remember rightly). So he has no reason *not* to attempt coercion.

(07/08/2010)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Seareach wrote:Yes, that's the Caligula cover
I guess I don't see Caligula in that cover. Is it because he's dressed in a toga? Or is it because the man pictured is holding is hands like he's mad at his hairdresser?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I think it is the stylized feel of the cover that is being referred to.
The toga.
The iconic greco-roman stylization of the Ranyhyn.
His haircut, heh.

Not to mention that Caligula named his horse as a member of the senate when a member shy in order to vote a quorum on his unpopular proposals. Or something like that...
So the horses behind a toga-clad male perhaps equals Caligula to SRD?

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”