The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It was fun while it lasted. :) But if it helps him get TLD out on time (or early, she said hopefully), I'm good with it.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Poor Poor Zenlunatic/Michael From Santa Fe.

What is to do now???
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

drew wrote:Poor Poor Zenlunatic/Michael From Santa Fe.

What is to do now???
He'll have to come back here and post some more! (Haven't seen him in awhile. Unless he's hanging out in forums where I don't normally go...)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Learned alot from the GI over the years. Sad to see it go.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

See what you all are doing to poor SRD, insisting he take time away from his writing to attend your weekend long party. He can't even keep up with the GI anymore ;)

It's a shame he doesn't have the time anymore, but, maybe it's a good thing to have an information blackout until the final book comes out. Hopefully when the last book is done, he'll have the resources to start it back up again
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I'll have to rush my final CREATOR question to him!! :lol: ;)
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Romeo wrote:FROM SRD:
After May 21, 2011, the Gradual Interview will no longer accept new questions or messages. I will continue to work my way through the questions which have already been accepted, but I can't do more. I'm too far behind on too many things, and the strain is affecting my concentration. Discontinuing the Gradual Interview is one of several things that I'm doing to simplify my life.
excuse me, not to be overdramatic, but isn't the 21st Doomsday?
www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_isla ... jhI9KqQ9HP
Last edited by lorin on Sat May 14, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

lorin wrote:
After May 21, 2011, the Gradual Interview will no longer accept new questions or messages. I will continue to work my way through the questions which have already been accepted, but I can't do more. I'm too far behind on too many things, and the strain is affecting my concentration. Discontinuing the Gradual Interview is one of several things that I'm doing to simplify my life.
excuse me, but not to be overdramatic, but isn't the 21st Doomsday?
:lol: It all becomes clear now!!!! :lol:
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

lorin wrote:
excuse me, not to be overdramatic, but isn't the 21st Doomsday?
Yes!!..I saw a billboard of it and the same announcement on the side of a public bus, so it must be true, I can't wait for the 22nd!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Blasius
Servant of the Land

General correspondence?

Post by Blasius »

So SRD is no longer accepting questions for the GI. So what's his contact information for general correspondence then? From his website's Contact Information page:

GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
All general correspondence to Steve, such as fan mail and miscellaneous questions, MUST be submitted via the Gradual Interview, located in the "from the author" section of this site. Any such correspondence sent to the contacts below will NOT be answered or forwarded.

Can someone who can contact SRD ask him if he might still accept general correspondence and if so, what's the new procedure for that? I suppose the easiest procedure is to keep the GI question submissions active, but with an accompanying note that SRD will not be answering them via the GI (but might respond via email if he wanted to).

Thanks!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Good question. Could be that his desire for concentration is such that he won't be taking general correspondence questions either (since the effort there is probably no less than if he was posting them to the GI), but that's speculation. I would not presume to answer for him.

Come to Elohimfest, participate in the Q&A, and ask him yourself...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be welcome to the Watch, Blasius.
Be Well Come and True.

Please take this opportunity to introduce yourself in the Say Hello in Here thread up in The Summonsing.

...yes, yes, yes, High L-rd.
I am forum pimping again. ;)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Again? That implies there having been a cessation.

More accurately, you are still forum-pimping. ;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

So yesterday was it, eh?

Did anybody submit one last question?

I did. Not a question, but a comment thanking SRD for all of his great works, and thanking him for the years that he kept the GI open and answering most of the questions I had submitted.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

I sent a question before the cut off and then sent a long rambling gushing email thanking him for the gi and all his great books, he still hasn't replied to a question I sent in jan/feb so he must be getting backlogged
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Romeo Gresta: Dear Mr. Donaldson,

After reading AATE, I've just restarted reading all chronicles again. And every time it is still surprising me. Thanks for creating such a stories that reach us deep inside.

I've just searched the GI about this and I couldn't find an answer. I was just re-reading TIW and wondering what motivation Atiaran have to try to summon Covenant that ends up killing herself and summoning Hile Troy. Was it for revenge, for having Covenant judge by the Lords for his crimes against Lena and (as she sees it) against the Wraths of Andelain? Was it for seeing the suffering of Lena, always waiting for Covenant to come back? Or was it for any forgiveness that she might have found?

Best regards.

The fact that Atiaran went to such extremes--far beyond her abilities and knowledge--suggests that she was not motivated by anything that could be called "forgiveness." I hesitate to use a word like "revenge" to describe a woman with such a great heart. But certainly Lena's plight must have been a constant source of intense pain for Atiaran. So where else could she hope to find *relief* for her daughter? "Restitution" might be a better word for what Atiaran wanted.

(05/29/2011)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Wayfriend! :wave:

mod edit: AATE spoiler
Spoiler
Kevin (Wayfriend): Dear Mr. Donaldson,

Thank you for writing your stories, especially the Chronicles. They are worthy of the time spent in understanding them more completely. And thank you for answering questions in the Gradual Interview. For insights into the author cannot help but provide insights into his stories. I wish you good fortune, and a simplified life.

Forgive me for taking advantage of your generosity one last time: Earlier in the GI, you had written "The term, She Who Must Not Be Named, is *necessary* in my story." Can you elaborate on this necessity?

There's at least one perfectly good reason why She Who Must Not Be Named must not be named. If anyone ever does anything that restores her name to her, the resulting explosion could well destroy the Arch of Time. She is, after all, a being who belongs outside Time. Her essential nature is too *big* for temporal reality, with all of reality's laws and restrictions. Forgetting who she is is the only thing that keeps her contained.

(08/07/2011)

EZ Board Survivor

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Kinda a huge AATE spoiler, dontcha think? ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

coooooooooooool! :P :P :P
Zenlunatic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Zenlunatic »

drew wrote:Poor Poor Zenlunatic/Michael From Santa Fe.

What is to do now???
So what are you implying Drew?...that I just sat around all day with nothing better to do that think of questions for the GI. That I don't have a life, that I don't live, love, hurt just like a normal person. That my life revolved around formulating questions for one of my favorite authors...is that what you're implying?

Hmmm...yeah, right, well fair enough... :)
"I have all the best words."

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”