The Gradual Interview

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hey dude! Long time!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

aliantha wrote:Wayfriend! :wave:

mod edit: AATE spoiler
Spoiler
Kevin (Wayfriend): Dear Mr. Donaldson,

Thank you for writing your stories, especially the Chronicles. They are worthy of the time spent in understanding them more completely. And thank you for answering questions in the Gradual Interview. For insights into the author cannot help but provide insights into his stories. I wish you good fortune, and a simplified life.

Forgive me for taking advantage of your generosity one last time: Earlier in the GI, you had written "The term, She Who Must Not Be Named, is *necessary* in my story." Can you elaborate on this necessity?

There's at least one perfectly good reason why She Who Must Not Be Named must not be named. If anyone ever does anything that restores her name to her, the resulting explosion could well destroy the Arch of Time. She is, after all, a being who belongs outside Time. Her essential nature is too *big* for temporal reality, with all of reality's laws and restrictions. Forgetting who she is is the only thing that keeps her contained.

Sounds a lot like someone waking up to me.

(08/07/2011)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

...and you response is???????? (if we copied and pasted all day we'd all have to change our names to Sarge... :biggrin: )
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
aliantha wrote:Wayfriend! :wave:

mod edit: AATE spoiler
Spoiler
Kevin (Wayfriend): Dear Mr. Donaldson,

Thank you for writing your stories, especially the Chronicles. They are worthy of the time spent in understanding them more completely. And thank you for answering questions in the Gradual Interview. For insights into the author cannot help but provide insights into his stories. I wish you good fortune, and a simplified life.

Forgive me for taking advantage of your generosity one last time: Earlier in the GI, you had written "The term, She Who Must Not Be Named, is *necessary* in my story." Can you elaborate on this necessity?

There's at least one perfectly good reason why She Who Must Not Be Named must not be named. If anyone ever does anything that restores her name to her, the resulting explosion could well destroy the Arch of Time. She is, after all, a being who belongs outside Time. Her essential nature is too *big* for temporal reality, with all of reality's laws and restrictions. Forgetting who she is is the only thing that keeps her contained.

(08/07/2011)
oops.

Sounds a lot like someone waking up to me.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zenlunatic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Zenlunatic »

danlo wrote:Hey dude! Long time!
Has it been? I'm not surprised. Life has been difficult for me the last year or so (my Mother passed away way too young) and I've been dealing with that. I'll try and "be around" a little more...the Watch is always entertaining... :) Peace...

Michael
"I have all the best words."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I started this thread way back in 2004 so it's only fitting that I get to post SRD's last GI Q&A:
Jon Smith: Hi Stephen
its really sad to see the GI go as it was fascinating to dissect an discuss your fabulous work with the creator himself :) before it disappears completely i would like to ask a question on the nature of Covenants relationship with Elena
For me this was the key to falling in love with your work, the interplay between these two characters and their impossible situations made for such emotional and compelling reading that i almost speed read through the warwards march on dooms retreat to get back to the high lords quest. In lots of ways for me the issues, stakes and drama with the quest party exceeded the major battles going on at dooms retreat, i did feel a personal growing connection to the characters and their revealing flaws, vunerabilities and in a strange way the symbiotic relationship between Elena, Covenant and the Bloodguard. All three of the seperate parties pasts and futures were being shaped on the quest as if it were a crossroads. It spurred me on in a compelling way almost like a mystery novel and i felt i was always just around the corner to another profound surprise. I loved it.
To the questions:

Throughout the Illearth war he goes from anger at his summoning to being afraid of her effect on him, passionate desire for her, being at peace by her side, nurturing a daughter relationship and then just before they enter Melenkurion Skyweir after she shaves him an almost profound love for her. Just before her fall and certainly soon after he acts almost desperately to save her and proclaims he loves her and then as he leaves Mithil stonedown in The Power that preserves when Lena asks to marry him he shouts internally that she is crazy and its her daughter he loves. Does he still love her that way? Elena obviously had a huge impact on his change of attitude to the Land but covenant seems to almost forget her in future novels (yes i know she is dead) maybe i am too nostalgic :)
How does Covenant feel about his daughter?

There are some among the watch that castigate Elena as reckless, arrogant and someone who lacked the capability to perform as High lord. Personally i
I don't believe she was reckless, it was a one chance opportunity that could have made the difference in the war, she believed she had a responsibility to the land, her lordship and her beloved to use any weapon against despite, remember TC had no idea and had refused to wield the wild magic. Was she supposed to shrug and march back to Revelstone leaving such a potent weapon behind, knowing that the warward were fighting a desperate battle at the same time? I think she was definately sure of herself but not arrogant, as a highlord in a time of war and crises I think she needed to be, it was part of the reason she was chosen as highlord, as the other lords said she had inner mettle. I don't read arrogance in her character leading up to the tragic mistake she made. I read nothing but admiration for her in the other lords and people of the land. Even Covenant loves her, her affection for him and his abuse of that which he so desperately needed broke him. Amok may have cautioned it's use but he led her there because he knew the land was in danger, she was given a power without the necessary wards that were designed to stop this exact thing happening. She was responsible and she knows that but i believe Amok, Foul and Covenant pushed her to the edge of the precipice. She made the jump. I have only empathy for her, I really think she is misunderstood and unfairly judged by some.
Was this the way you wrote her motivations and character or was she the reckless and arrogant high lord some view her as?

Thank you so much for many fantastic novels, im sure you don't need me to tell you that reading the GI and having discussed many things on the watch that your work has touched a great many people in a very profound and personal way.

Jon

Here Endeth the Gradual Interview: a chance once again to return thanks to my readers. I'm grateful for all of the people who have stayed with me!

(But I'll continue to post news, progress reports, etc., whenever I have something of substance to convey.)

Perhaps it's fitting to end the GI with a question about Elena. (Of course, you've actually asked several questions.) First, the character herself. I think it's fair to say that she was "reckless" (rushing to use a power which she had never studied, never learned to understand) and "arrogant" (trying to solve the whole problem at one stroke by herself, so eager to save the Land herself that she never looked closely at the nature of Kevin's flaw). But that does not in any way invalidate your own response to her: a response which is widely supported by the text. Her fellow Lords were not fools. The Ranyhyn were not fools. Even Covenant, in his tortured fashion, was not a fool. They all saw in her the potential for greatness. "Save or damn." I see her as a tragic figure misled by her own virtues, her own unquestioning capacity for love. (One of the "points" of her story is that questions need to be asked, but she doesn't ask them.)

As for Covenant's feelings toward his daughter. I think it's important to remember that at this point in the story he is still significantly driven by a form of selfishness. He's still trying to "bargain" with a situation he finds intolerable. Even more than Lena (and by implication, Atiaran), Elena is teaching him to love. And that love is--in a manner of speaking--cleansed by the fact that she is his daughter. In his case, at that point in the story, parental love is less selfish (and hence more relevant to his relationship with the Land) than other forms of love. But he isn't *there* yet. He still sees in Elena an opportunity to avoid responsibility for his circumstances. He hasn't yet become the man he needs to be.

So why does she play such a diminished role in his emotions later on? Well, how could it be otherwise? a) Much of what he learned from her has been transferred to the Land: that love has gained a larger and less selfish outlet. b) Life goes on. People move on. After ten years in the "real" world, years during which he has no reason whatsoever to think that he'll ever see the Land or any of its people again--well, there would be something profoundly wrong with him if he had *not* moved on. Certainly he would not have become a man who could love Linden, a "partner" rather than a daughter: a love *chosen* rather than one determined by parental instincts.

AVE ATQUE VALE!
(And thank you, Google! <grin>)

(08/31/2011)
So long, GI! We'll miss you! ;)
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

awwwhhhhhh. |G
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

SRD wrote:AVE ATQUE VALE!
(And thank you, Google! <grin>)
Translation: Hail and farewell! (ali can google too! ;) )

<sniffle, sniffle>

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I am sad. I had thought, mistakenly, that he might resume the GI after TLD. Too, too bad.

I shall try to look on the bright side. I won't have more GI answers I need to memorize.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:I am sad. I had thought, mistakenly, that he might resume the GI after TLD. Too, too bad.

I shall try to look on the bright side. I won't have more GI answers I need to memorize.
I think it's still a possibility... it would probably be a year or so after the completion of TLD.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

What an absolutely nice person he is, feel totally privileged to have such thoughtful and balanced answers to so many questions. It makes the profound meaning his work has obviously had on people so much more genuine and beautiful.
I read or saw him once say that people only have to meet him to dispel some of that hero worship, well actually for me it didn't work. Meeting him just authenticated what I thought was such a beautiful human story told with such empathy and appreciation of human virtue and values.
Top man and a real inspiration
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

It's the end of an era. I didn't follow the GI as faithfully as I should have - someday I will go back and read everything I missed. It was a ton of time and effort and really showed that he cares about his fans and the worlds he created.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote:I am sad. I had thought, mistakenly, that he might resume the GI after TLD. Too, too bad.

I sincerely hope to see at least a short term revival of the GI after TLD!
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Or at least a new Structured INterview
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”