Lord Foul's Bane Chapters 11 & 12

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Post by Guest »

actually I think it would be cooler to see a guy in a t-shirt and jeans (and we can't forget the hiking boots!!!!) on the cover surrounded by all sorts of people in weird and fantastic clothes. but what would his t-shirt say? we could have a lot of fun figuring that out! :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh I think it's obvious what TC's t-shirt would say, if it indeed said anything.... DON'T TOUCH ME!!! :roll: (much classier than the BITE ME! one he may, or may not, have worn in the 2nd Chrons! 8O )
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

It would probably just say something boring, like "Old Navy", but I think that "Don't Touch Me" would be just perfect, Danlo! :)
Love as thou wilt.

I AM SO SORRY!

Post by Guest »

I was trying to respond to Lord Danlo's message and I kept getting this message that the website wasn't responding, but it obviously WAS. Oh my God, how embarressing! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will try to figure out how to kill those half million responses, and also sent a message to Jay begging on my hands and knees for help. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: the duchess
Vain
Nom

Re: I AM SO SORRY!

Post by Vain »

Anonymous wrote:I was trying to respond to Lord Danlo's message and I kept getting this message that the website wasn't responding, but it obviously WAS. Oh my God, how embarressing! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will try to figure out how to kill those half million responses, and also sent a message to Jay begging on my hands and knees for help. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: the duchess
Fixed ;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ok, I'm attempting 2 get serious on this topic, now! 1st an admission: I fell behind (after jumping ahead 7 pgs in "The Unhomed") and am now just catching up in order 2 b prepared 4 2mrrw's Vespers/Council read.

Here's my question: in Revelstone (pg. 197) TC asks Foamy if he wants his ring. Mayb I'm blind, from reading 4 books @ the same time, but I reread everything that transpired from when Atiaran and TC meet Saltheart 2 pg. 197 and I cannot find any reference 2 when Atrian or TC, himself, tells the Giant about the ring! SF seems 2 kno all about the wild magic! I know this is a fantasy story and inorder 2 enjoy such a story one must suspend disbelief, on the other hand this is Dissecting the Land, so: how did he kno about it?

PLEASE correct me if I missed something! Here are some possible answers... Perhaps when TC stuck the burned staff on the bottom of the boat while the ring throbbed on his finger SF "felt" the wild magic? Perhaps he studied it while TC slept? Or perhaps the answer is a simple one--perhaps SF's knowledge of old lore and legends is so great that when he saw TC's half-hand and the ring he just put two and two 2gether? But if he had never seen white gold b4 how could he recognize it when he did see it?

Here's another awful question: If the Giants built docks and stored boats at Treacher's Gorge, so close 2 Mt. Thunder, y didn't Foul or Drool destroy them? Was it that they didn't think ahead enuf? Or was it that Gildenlode protected them? Or did the Giants store them under rock so heavy only a Giant could move them. But if that's true an ur-vile wedge could have moved the rocks as well...I guess the answer might b that Drool was so busy seeing what the Staff of Law could do and dreaming of becoming "Lord Drool" so much that he simply neglected them. Or was it that Drool is just an idiot?

I love the story of "The Wounded Rainbow" there is so much info chocked in2 that story. And it does need 2 b refered 2 often as far as the "Dissecting" goes--just not right now in the story...
Last edited by danlo on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Covenant is starting to care more and more! He's affected by the attack on the Wraiths of Andelain, and when Foamfollower doesn't appreciate Atiaran enough he gets violent. Covenant's oh-so-annoying bad temper remains but this time he is having a tantrum for another person. Interestingly, Covenant sees how Atiaran is doing violence to herself but remains totally oblivious that he has been doing the same thing to himself.

Another interesting correlation is that in their heart both Foamfollower's and Covenant's stories are about culture shock, loneliness, and death. The giants of Seareach are slowly dying away due to separation from their main culture, while the man in Covenant's story kills himself when he can't handle the loneliness the American culture imposed upon himself due to his illness. One wonders if he would have been happier if he had been diagnosed in his home country. He wouldn't have had to be alone then. Covenant is very much like that man, but instead of cutting his wrists and slowly bleeding to death he has tried to deaden his feelings and his spirit. Covenant says he could never cut his wrists because that feels too real. What a more unreal way of suicide there is than one that leaves the victim alive?

One of the signs of the apocalypse in the Revelations is the moon turning the shade of blood. In the nature the moon gets fairly bloody during eclipses, but never as red as described here. Eclipses don't last that long either, or happen when the moon is a sickle. Drool is the obvious culprit and we are reminded how the moon resembles his eyes. The amount of power he is wielding is ominous. And to think that back then Kevin with the Staff of Law couldn't match Lord Foul...
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I wonder how many different metals the giants and the inhabitants of the Land have seen. My guess is not too many. They both seem more interested in stone and wood and the only metals we have seen this far are the iron rod found in the Waynhim's chest and yellow metal worn by the Warward. Very possibly white gold is the only white metal they know of.

And as to Drool, I think he is an idiot. It probably had never occurred to him to destroy the boats and even if it had Lord Foul could have convinced him otherwise.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Good points N--well, that sums it up 4 me..thanks!
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

It's during these chapters that the Land starts transitioning into something more than just a dream. The story-teliing has started - although TC manages to splutter away every so often.

I found it strange that Atiaran was willing to forgive TC everything EXCEPT the slaughter of the wraiths - including the rape of Lena. I'm not too sure what to make of this though.

As for the ring - I think I agree with Nerdanel. There's so little metal around that a gleaming white gold ring would stand out. I'm not sure if the same impact would have been had if TC had a silver ring though??
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

From what I understand whitegold does look a bit like silver...

anyway...now about Revelstone. Ah what a place! It overwhelms me! Everytime I read this section I have 2 throw out my old drawings of the Keep--but I think I kno how 2 do it correctly now! Yea! How long did it take the Giants 2 build it? Where is all the scrap rock? The Keep withstood the Desecration but was it habitable during it? Polished grayish granite.

The Sandia Mountians face Albuquerque from the east. Apparently, due 2 an ancient geological plate crash, they shot straight up 3 to 2 thousand feet above the now existing terrian and the crest is about 7,400 ft. above sea-level. Like Revelstone they r composed primarily of granite. The western side of the Sandias rise so sharply that it looks more like a cliff face than a Mt., but boy r they awesome! One of the many reasons why I've made Albq. my lifelong home. The sunsets r amazing in NM, and during the right seasons the sunset turns this cliff face pink-purple--hence the name Sandia (Watermelon). SRD said that he got alot of his inspiration 4 the Land from NM--if so, the Sandias r definately what Revelstone was b4 the Giants transformed it.

Now if I could turn the Sandias around 2 face from the NW and put the highest peaks of the Colorado Rockies behind it I might have the basis of my drawing. Then add Furl Falls and a bridge. It is hard 2 imagine a thriving White River going up 2 it as the Rio Grande is now just a muddy trickle. But the Sandias do level off slowly 2 the east, so it is easy 2 envision the headland behind Revelstone where fields, woods and Glimmermere r, The plateau is easy 2 envision 2, due 2 the escarpment. If the Sandias were transformed by Giants in2 a huge Keep it would be astounding!

What a place! Incredible! Truly one of the most amazing creations in all of fantasy literature!
Last edited by danlo on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Danlo - Look at a picture of Masada (sp?) It is a city that was built on top of a mountain. It's a part of Jewish history - a city that they held and lost in war. I forget the incidentals, however, when I saw the picture, my first thought was of Revelstone. Masada was not built in the rock, rather on top of it, but it may have been an inspiration for SRD. I would like to see the mountains in NM. Can you post them?
The King has one more move.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes u're right caam! I thought that about Masada 2! I'm attempting 2 upload photos of the Sandia Mts!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hmmm. I have been to Masada. I have to say that I never pictured Revelstone as looking like that. For one thing, Masada is in the middle of the desert, overlooking the Dead Sea. For another, the place where the actual city was is much higher up then I pictured Revelstone to be.

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've never been lucky enough to go to New Mexico, but I've spent some time in some of its neighbors, such as Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. I would have to agree with Danlo, that the Southwest and its dramatic landscapes contribute to Donaldson's landscapes in the Land. I've always pictured Kevin's Watch to be a great big hoodoo, like the one called Spider Rock in Arizona, or the ones at Bryce Canyon, for example. When I think of the Stonedowners I always picture Mesa Verde for some reason, even though their houses aren't cliff dwellings. Just something about his writing makes me think of the Four Corner states and the wonders therein...some of the most lovely places are in the national parks, and a websearch should pull up countless sites with great pictures of the mountains and the deserts...I know there are some breathtaking pictures of Bryce and some of the other area parks at www.webshots.com
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Dang! My photos r 2 big 2 upload! I'll find a smaller 1 of the Sandias on the net!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Only Covenant pics right? I have a bunch of pictures on my desktop...one of thems my av! Haha :)
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

Just chiming in late on these two chapters.

For me these chapters mark a transition in the story. We are sort of at the end of our introduction to the land. We are starting to really get into the story. We are meeting some more key people not only in the Land but in our hearts.

Foamfollower is such a breath of fresh air. Other than Lena, everyone else we have met so far has been serious/angry/restrained...etc. Now we meet at bright soul. His laughter and ability to laugh at TC save the story from being melodramatic.

Lord Mohram...my favorite lord. Strength, wisdom, humanity. Doesn't he just sum up all the qualities of the Land in one person? At times I wish TC could just be less conflicted and enjoy Morham's company/friendship.

Bannor and the Bloodguard. Honestly I don't quite get the Bloodguard. I guess it's because I don't really understand this vow and how it holds them so seadfast. They seem almost inhuman.

Revelstone....aaaahhh....what can you say? The scope and grandure are almost more than we can imagine...how does SRD do it?

Regarding Foamfollower and TC - I think FF is sharp enough to see the signs and put two and two together. He may have not known it was White Gold but he knew it was something powerfull. He also saw Atiaran. Wouldn't he put together her extreme plight and how important this person(TC) must have been for her to push herself to that extreme.
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

I always imagined Revelstone to resemble Petra, see www.culturefocus.com/syria_jordan.htm

-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I found 2 decent photos of the Sandia Mountians and put them on my homepage: danlo's universe (u need 2 click on them 2 get a better view...) Still looking 4 some better 1s!!( 8O YEA! Made the 500th post on DtL!!! :o :D 8O WooHoo! 8O )

Return to “1st Chronicles”