Zen quotes

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

ur-James
Woodhelvennin

Post by ur-James »

Wow, what a thread! As a Buddhist, this is great. Here is a story/lesson from one of the many books I have. I can't remember who wrote it, but that's not important.

One day, a strong warrior wondered about the meaning of Heaven and Hell. After asking around, he was let to a monk living outside of town. The warrior approached the small monk and demanded to be told the secrets of heaven and hell.

The monk simply looked up at the warrior and said, "Why should I tell you the secrets of heaven and hell? Look at you! You're a disgrace! Your clothes are dirty, your equipment is untended, your hair is a mess. I will teach you nothing."

At this, the warrior became enraged, drawing his sword, he advanced on the monk, intending to slay him for such insults. As he was prepared to strike, the monk simply and quietly said, "This is hell."

The warrior stopped, the monks few words sinking in. He lowered his sword, aghast at what he was about to do. He fell to his knees in front of the monk, apologizing. The monk simply said:

"This is heaven."

It's not completely accurate to what I read, but I really liked the message of non-violence in it.

James
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Great story. The following is actually one that I've been meaning to post here for some time, but I hesitated as it is not actually a "Zen" quote. However, I think the message in itself is worthy of Zen in a certain way. Perhaps you will agree.
Once, in a far away country, there was a mountain which had never been climbed.

On a day, the three greatest mountaineers gathered in the inn at the base of the mountain, in preparation to attempting the mountain.

While they sat planning, a heavenly being appeared, said: "I am here to tell you, that every one of you will be dead by the time the sun sets today" and promptly vanished.

The mountaineers began to discuss this strange warning, and asked each other what they would do.

The first replied, "I will seek out a beautiful, willing woman, and spend my last hours in her arms."

The second said "I will remain here, and drink myself into oblivion before the appointed hour."

As one, they turned to the third member of the party, and asked what his plans now were.

He said, "I shall climb the mountain."
--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nice, Av. Sort of like the Master of the caligraphy school in Hero.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

:) Glad you liked it. Haven't seen, or even heard of the movie you mentioned, but having looked it up, I think it's definitley going on my list of things to watch.
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is
no wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five
hundred."

-The Mahabharata.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I've hung this gem up in the Hangar too long, it must be shared with the Watch:

The Great Way is not difficult
for those who have no preferences.
When love and hate are both absent
everything becomes clear and undisguised.
Make the smallest distinction, however
and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.
If you wish to see the truth
then hold no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike
is the disease of the mind.
When the deep meaning of things is not understood
the minds essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

The Way is perfect like vast space
where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.
Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject
that we do not see the true nature of things.
Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
nor in inner feelings of emptiness.
Be serene in the oneness of things
and such erroneous views will disappear by themselves.
When you try to stop activity to achieve passivity
your very effort fills you with activity.
As long as you remain in one extreme or the other
you will never know Oneness.

- Sengstan

translated from the Chinese
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

A young man, eagre for knowledge and enlightenment, sought out a great sage, and demanded to be instructed.

Without a word, the sage led him into his house, and began pouring tea into a cup, sitting on the table. He poured until the cup was full, but did not stop. The tea ran over the table, and onto the floor, and still the old man continued pouring.

Eventually, the young man asked him if he did not see that the cup was overflowing.

The sage explained to him, "You are this cup. The tea represents your dreams, your ambitions, your desires. Unless the cup is first empty, how can I fill it with anything?"

Post by Avatar »

I really love this one, and the book it comes from is one I strongly recommend to everybody, especially Fist if he hasn't read it.
An older student came to Otis and said, "I have been to see a great number of teachers and I have given up a great number of pleasures. I have fasted, been celibate and stayed awake nights seeking enlightenment. I have given up everything I was asked to give up and I have suffered, but I have not been enlightened. What should I do?" Otis replied, "Give up suffering." -- Camden Benares, "Zen Without Zen Masters"
--A
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ikkyu wrote:I won't die I won't go away I'll always be here
no good asking me I won't speak
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

truly a gem!

Post by The Laughing Man »

Last edited by The Laughing Man on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Albert Einstein, quoted in H Eves Mathematical Circles Adieu (Boston 1977).
A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Drundaar Rockheart
Ramen

Post by Drundaar Rockheart »

-Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water.
-Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.
-Philosophy is life's dry-nurse, who can take care of us - but not suckle us
-If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?
all that glitters is not gold and all who wander are not lost

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Close Drundaar. :) Take a look round, join in anywhere, and thanks for the quotes. :)

Drundaar Rockheart
Ramen

Post by Drundaar Rockheart »

Sure will,no problem, and thanks for the warm welcome! ;)
all that glitters is not gold and all who wander are not lost
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Sit, my son, consider a stone. Place it where you will, now listen, listen to the rock grow. Growing beyond rock itself, remember the rock, and remember the rock when your own mind becomes too hard and inflexible to meet life and enlightenment. Listen, the rock will grow as will your mind.

Masamune Hirotome 1987
Spoken to me when life was overwhelming at age 16.
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Zen Master Gutei raised his finger whenever he was asked a question about Zen. A young novice began to imitate him in this way. When Gutei was told about the novice's imitation, he sent for him and asked him if it was true. The novice admitted it was so. Gutei asked him if he understood. In reply the novice held up his index finger. Gutei promptly cut it off. The novice ran from the room, howling in pain. As he reached the threshold, Gutei called, "Boy!" When the novice turned, Gutei raised his index finger. At that instant the novice was enlightened.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Post by Avatar »

There are still fingers? (That one escapes me I'm afraid.)

(He just had his finger cut off and still turned round? Crazy. :lol: )

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I think it means that the meaning is found in the lessons, not the fingers. Mabye.

I'll ask my brother. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.

Post by Avatar »

Makes sense. :D

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Summarry from Zen Master Sam (my brother ;))

This story is a Zen koan (pronounced koh-ahn.) The whole thing about koan's is that they don't nesscarilly have a set meaning, they were really just to put your thinking in a state that could bring forth a "Eureka!" type of thing.

So I think that it means whatever it means. I think.

Post by Avatar »

:lol: Isn't that true of everything? ;)

--A

Return to “The Close”