What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just saw Happy Death Day, which I guess you could desribe as Groundhog Day meets Scream (it's the main character's birthday, and she keeps being murdered and waking back up on the morning, so she has to figure out who's killing her). It is a really fun film - I don't usually go for slasher movies, but I liked the sound of it from a review, and it was great.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sounds like a bit of fun lol

I want to see Mom & Dad .. that sounds a scream too! hahahahahahaha

I want to see that remake of The Room, you know that appalling film by Tommy Wisaeu (sp?) :LOL:

Its one of those movies that is horrendous on every level - but it is also HILARIOUS because its utter level or horrendousity!!! (yeah I know, "not a word")

And I still haven't seen The Last Jedi - trying to avoid everything to do with it right now .. but am soooo keen and Im in town now .. so .. movie theatres!!!!! Yahoooeeee
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

My wife and I saw this movie called The Evil Within. I have become pretty numb to most horror movies but this movie left me a tad rattled. The first half is kind of slow - so try to get past that section. Also, sometimes it is difficult to tell exactly what is going on because some of it plays within the bad characters mind. Let me tell you whoever made this movie probably has had to have some trippy nightmares. There is also some disturbing images and a portion..

***SPOILER ALERT***

Where you think the character is going to break one of movies no no's - I won't get more spoilery than that.

I told my wife we needed to watch a comedy after that - after I had some recovery time that is
:)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Cheers sami good to know about the slow build up .. If a movie doesn't grab you in the first 5 mins I do push on but am always a little less invested.

Some movies can u-turn and pull you back from the brink and back into the story .. that's always a good :)

However, if its anything like Seven disturbing .. ewww (not a fan)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

My tip for the future is to keep your eyes peeled for Peter Jackson's WW1 re-working of old footage from the time, brought up to todays quality with colour and possibly 3D et cetera. Could be awful, but my betting is that in his hands it will be brilliant. [Oh - and his steampunk film set for release at the end of the year should be a blast (poor choice of word given the above, but you know what I mean) as well.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for that one. Unlike some I like Jackson and most of his movies.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ready Player One has hit the screens in my neck of the woods and as a Spielberg fan of old I reckon I should take a punt and spring for the big screen ride. Can't say that the general area is one I'd normally relish - virtual reality games etc - a bit too Tronish for my taste, but if anyone can pull it off Spielberg can, and after the lackluster Post I'm willing him to do so.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

You seem it Peye .. not heard much about it ..

Saw Churchill was utterly disappointed .. I was like umm why πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ .. his as it turned out misplaced criticism of the Normandy landing. Like real no goer .. why not pick something with more guts and grit .. than THAT ..

Old news .. πŸ™„
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

For anyone who likes a good horror movie, the recently released Hereditary is making some pretty big waves. Billed as 'this generations Exorcist', the trailer certainly has a very unsettling edge to it and as it came to my local cinema this week I shall certainly try to get along to see it. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but the really good or unusual ones I try to see if I can.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ooh good Pete .. go check it out and let us know. I love a good horror.

I watched What Happened to Monday last night .. it was actually pretty good. The story is known also as Seven Sisters. Its a distopian sci fi thriller and had Naomi Rapace in it .. who was excellent in it. Shes pretty awesome .. also had a some good fight scenes. Love to see women kicking ass and doing it well.

I watched Naomi Rapace in some other creepy thriller .. forget its title now .. but she was captured and taken to a facility or warehouse .. where they had it set up to enhance the captors fears .. to force a genetic mutation .. of varying kinds .. dependent upon the individuals genetic makeup. It was fun .. and tense. She was brilliant.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

My local theater is showing both Star Trek II and Starship Troopers this week. Soo tempted to go to both, but I'm trying to force myself to choose one.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Starship Troopers was such a blast on the by screen that for me it would have to be the first option - but remember the words of Oscar Wilde in respect of temptation....... the only way to deal with it is to yield to it! :D

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Have you read the book Starship Troopers? If so, then don't watch it. :D

Also, to help decide you, I highly recommend MatrixMan's thread, In Praise of Montalban's Khan

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: We really helped there Av![/i]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

peter wrote: Starship Troopers was such a blast on the by screen that for me it would have to be the first option - but remember the words of Oscar Wilde in respect of temptation....... the only way to deal with it is to yield to it! :D
I love Starship Troopers .. in fact its one of my favourite movies of all time :D We watch it at least once a year .. In fact at one point in time I seriously considered getting a tattoo .. "Death before Dishonour" ;) :P

I never did .. but meh .. named my favourite kitty of all time Dizzy .. cos my fave ST character.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:Have you read the book Starship Troopers? If so, then don't watch it. :D
Oh yeah, I was a huge Heinlein fan growing up. Saw it in the theaters (twice!) when it first came out and definitely went through a bit of that wasn't in the book! before accepting it and enjoying it for what it was.

Anyway, Khan was last night and I didn't go, but ST is tomorrow and I have my ticket.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

On ya Sors :biggrin:

It is definitely about accepting the work for what it is .. :LOLS:

Its like LOTRs and Star Wars .. die hard fans get bent out of shape if there are any elements of change manifest in the cinematographic work ..

I mean tbh I had an issue with the Fellowship and ROTK films but not to the point that it spoiled my enjoyment and appreciation of the work itself. The same with Star Wars .. if there are even small thematic or contextual changes to the established franchise .. some find the new status intolerable because of those small or tbf I guess significant changes.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Call me a purist... :D

(Although I was fine with them leaving Tom Bombadril out of LotR... :D )

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm on the fence about the whole making drastic changes thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The new BSG was vastly superior to the original. On the other hand, I have completely rejected the very existence of the new Star Trek movies.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:I'm on the fence about the whole making drastic changes thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The new BSG was vastly superior to the original. On the other hand, I have completely rejected the very existence of the new Star Trek movies.
This is the problem with adaptations. By making changes to the source material, you're often goring someone's sacred cow. It's rare that an adaptation is considered "good", much less "great". And the new BSG was reviled by an awful lot of people. The issue with Starship Troopers was that most people completely missed the fact that it was satire....Those people also probably didn't see or understand that Paul Verhoven has made a career of making action films with biting satire.

For every successful adaptation like The Thing or the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, there's a ton of dross like The Dark Tower.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to β€œFlicks”