What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cail wrote: The issue with Starship Troopers was that most people completely missed the fact that it was satire....Those people also probably didn't see or understand that Paul Verhoven has made a career of making action films with biting satire.
Yep. And it's still more relevant today than a true-to-book adaptation would have been. And the special effects and whatnot have held up surprisingly well. Still worth seeing on the big screen if you have the opportunity.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Been slowly watching all the X-Men films in chronological order.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh I love them all with the exception of the Wolverine one that is shot in China or something. I loved Logan .. thought it was one of the best. Love em all though.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Actually, liked the Wolverine ones least in general. (Although X3 was not great either.)

Liked the most recent one (Logan) better than I expected to though.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yeah that was a winner .. absolutely

Im not sure it is the end of Logan though πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜›
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not sure if this is the right place for Netflix stuff to be mentioned, but for those who can stand a good dose of horror I hear that the Sandra Bullock starring film Bird Box currently streaming is supposed to be a cracker! Apparently some people find it simply too frightening to see through to the end (though this could just be promotional hype). I'll give it a go and report back!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Whooot whooot.. I heard the very same Pete .. as soon as my data allocation returns in January Im going to give it a crack too.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

peter wrote:the Sandra Bullock starring film Bird Box
You mean the blatant A Quiet Place rip-off, only this time you have to be unable to see as opposed to unable to speak?

How about "no".
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
You mean the blatant A Quiet Place rip-off, only this time you have to be unable to see as opposed to unable to speak?

How about "no".
The source book is from 2014, so......not exactly a rip-off.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Well, A Quiet Place still did it first so I stand by my assessment.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Well, A Quiet Place still did it first so I stand by my assessment.
The Bird Box book predates the A Quiet Place screenplay by about 18 months.

I've not read the book nor seen either movie, so I have no dog in this.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

Im looking forward to seeing it nevertheless Hashi because Ive heard good things about it. And I love Sandra Bullock so theres a win 😏
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Seen both and I'd put this one out in front by a mile. If you enjoyed A quiet place Hashi, you're going to love Bird Box. Not nearly as impossibly scary as promoted - but a finely crafted film.

(Edit; just want to qualify that, because it's only fair to do so. A Quiet Place started well, but went wrong somewhere toward the end. Bird Box starts well and maintains it right through until the final satisfying finish.)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

So I watched Bird Box last night. It's 4/5 of a great movie, and the final fifth is probably one of the dumbest endings I've seen. Sadly, you can see it coming a mile away, but you (at least I) can hope for something smarter. Alas, this movie ends nearly as dumbly as The Happening.

I will say that if you don't think about the stupid ending, the rest of the film is insanely tense.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I watched The Bird Box and A Quiet Place, gotta say I wasnt all that impressed.

With the Bird Box, it had a good cast, yes was intense, but I couldnt get past the strange airborne whatever that turned some suicidal and others homicidal and others, it gave a drive to unite and convert them to the airborne whatever it was.

I know its fantasy but the threat was never identified or even explained. Or maybe I missed it. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

A Quiet Place I enjoyed more. The threat was readily identified imv and I liked the ending even though you couldnt know what became of the key characters. At least you knew they were ready and armed and hoped theyd survive the imminent enslaught.

mmm.. I might watch BB again, just in case I did miss something πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€”
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Saw Sorry To Bother You recently. Insane little flick, and not quite what I was expecting, but still pretty amazing.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've just been to see The Favourite, a fairly weird period drama with excellent performances at the centre of it. It wasn't quite what I expected from the trailer, and it has a very odd style - visually, musically and in some of the editing.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:I've just been to see The Favourite, a fairly weird period drama with excellent performances at the centre of it. It wasn't quite what I expected from the trailer, and it has a very odd style - visually, musically and in some of the editing.
That's at the top of the list of things I want to see. Olivia Colman is brilliant. Will probably end up waiting to rent it, as my local theater tends to go from sold out to gone with little in-between. I could buy an advance ticket, but that's risky with all the overtime I've been pulling lately. It's not usually a long wait from theater to rental these days, but I kinda wanted to see it in the theater.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

How about "no".
So I watched A Quiet Place last night and...

What Bird Box is to The Happening, A Quiet Place is to Signs, but with a far worse and nonsensical ending. I cannot grasp how this laughable clunker was a hit.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Aside from certain blockbuster movies which are usually centered around super heroes, I can never tell why certain movies are hits or not.

Return to β€œFlicks”