What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Worm of Despite
Lord

What's playing?

Post by Worm of Despite »

I'm gonna watch Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time--ordered it on pay-per-view. Should be fun.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm going through my set of the 1st season of Stargate SG-1. Very gradually -- there are 5 episodes on some of these disks. "The First Commandment" is playing right now.

Are there any Stargate SG-1 fans here? SG-1 watchers?
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I rented the dvd for Pirates of the Caribbean last week, and couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of the movie for some reason. I just lost interest in watching it. So I returned the movie unwatched. Yet at the same time I rented that, I picked up Lost in Translation, watched it through, and thought it was great.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I got Pirates for Christmas, keep intending to watch it ...

I even think Johnny Depp is cool, since he had his kids and grew up. I just don't seem to get around to that movie. So what did you think of it, Foul?

(BTW, is Lord Fowl another of yours? Can we expect the clucking of doggerel soon? :twisted: )
Worm of Despite
Lord

:haha: No. I made him to be my alter-ego who disagrees with me on everything, but then I had a second thought and decided there's enough real people to do that. ;)

As for Pirates, I enjoyed it a lot. It was a bit predictable and dragged just a tad, but it was very enjoyable. Nothing but a good time.

I've also seen Lost in Translation. Very moving movie. It closes beautifully, without betraying the characters.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Now watching Quiz Show, with John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes, Robert Redford directing. Very well done film, another of those that I have practically memorized.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Foul, what do you have in mind for this thread that you stickied it for?

I haven't seen Pirates. Looked worth a shot, but I haven't seen many movies lately. :( :( :( OTOH, the reason is that I'm usually here or reading. Currently ASOIAF, so... :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Fist and Faith wrote:Foul, what do you have in mind for this thread that you stickied it for?
Same reason "what are you listening to" is stickied. Everyone can post here what they plan on watching or are going to watch.

As for me, I watched Seven Samurai all the way through for about the third time. This time I watched it with my grandfather. He enjoyed it thoroughly.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I was defending The English Patient earlier, on another thread, and discovered I had to rewatch it. So that's what's playing now. Marvelous film. I just watched as the sound of Juliet's feet playing hopscotch, cues a segue to the sound of drums in the desert years before.

THE ENGLISH PATIENT is another book that handles time line changes perfectly, even lyrically.
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

"The rocky horror picture show" for the umpteenth time. And I still possitively quiver with antici......pation. ;) Absolutely totally weird... and I love it! ;)
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Rented a bunch of movies on Friday, then borrowed a bunch more from my wife's parents, so we're set for the week. :D

Rented:

My Boss' Daughter: Absolute dreck. Stopped watching after 45 minutes. Mind you, we typically like stupid funny movies but this was CRAP.

Matchstick Men: Great movie. The ending was surprising but good.

Gothika: Great movie that scared the crap out of us a couple times

Lost In Translation: Started watching it last night but just didn't get into it. I hear that seems to be the case with this flick: either you love it or find it boring. We seem to be the latter... :oops:

Borrowed:

American Me
Bad Boys II
Secondhand Lions
The Commitments
Windtalkers
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Have you seen Windtalkers yet? I was impressed by all 5 of the main actors. Cage, of course, was wonderfully anguished, but I was equally impressed by his partner (Adam Beach, I think?).
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Joy wrote:Have you seen Windtalkers yet? I was impressed by all 5 of the main actors. Cage, of course, was wonderfully anguished, but I was equally impressed by his partner (Adam Beach, I think?).
Haven't watched it yet. We watched American Me night before last and started watching Bad Boys II but didn't have a chance to finish it last night. I'll prolly watch Windtalkers within the next couple of days, though.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Going to buy Donnie Darko on DVD soon. I haven't seen the whole thing yet--only parts.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I have PHONEbooth, but haven't seen it yet. Any opinions?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Snake Eyes. I'm watching it until The Whole Nine Yards comes on in 20 minutes. Makes no sense, this way of watching TV, because I own both movies. :roll:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Donnie Darko... good movie, definately need to see it at least twice. Not as deep as most people seem to think, but not for those that don't like to think.

Phonebooth was interesting. Not for people who don't like dialogue or insist on elaborate set construction. Farrell and Sutherland deliver solid performances, and the movie would be a complete waste if they didn't.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Watched Gothika and Assasination Tango this weekend-both good entertianment values. Gothika was good, if predictable, Halley Berry actually acted-it's probably better than I feel as I'm a major fan of In Dreams (which had Robt. Downey Jr. in it as well) in a way it was sorta a remake-if you haven't seen In Dreams you'll prob enjoy Gothika quite alot. Assasination Tango was very good effort from Robert Duvall-He stars, produces, directs. The dancing is great, the movie is shot very well-Duvall is a great actor, but someone should have monitored his caffine intake-too damm hyper! But then again an assasin should be hyper...I guess I'm just tired of seeing people get killed...I prob should stop watching CSI, NYPD Blue and L & O CI too-three of my top five TV shows almost always open with someone popped! :faint:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I rented Gothika this weekend. It wasn't a bad film but once it became clear what was going on I began thinking "What? This again?" It may be that I've watched this kind of scenerio play out too many times. "I see dead people." Okay. I get it. Please think of something else. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I know, like I said, remake-predictable--kinda like Ashley Judd movies--I mean they're very good, for the most part--but after a while they look like clones...
Last edited by danlo on Mon May 24, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flicks”