What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

M Night Shyamalayan's answer to every bit of criticism he ever recieved. Agreed Murrin - simply the best!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

No, I don't think making two good films is all it takes to avoid the fact that all the rest were bad.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Now I loved 'Unbreakable' - but also very much liked 'Signs', 'The Village', 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Stuart Little'. 'The Lady in the Water' and 'The Happening' were in my opinion not so bad as painted - they just appeared so against the backdrop of his best work - and 'The Last Airbender' was a kids film that I bet most kids who saw it loved. All that remains is 'After Earth' [and his earliest stuff] which I have not seen. I don't see it as a bad record at all.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Unbreakable is, to date, his best movie by far.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Watched another good superpower movie yesterday - Chronicle. Was great, but lost it a little at the end when Andrew turned bad. Though the funniest moment in the film was during that part, when Matt confronts a certain bus.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I watched The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) last night, and was very impressed. Not an easy movie to watch, but then I have a penchant for watching psychologically disturbed movies.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Also watched yesterday: The Muppets (the 2011 film with Jason Segel).

Kind of a mess of a film. Good ideas, badly executed. Some of the song parts just seemed disjointed from the surrounding scenes, and overall it tended to feel... off. I'm not sure if it was a failure of writing or direction, though I'm leaning toward the latter.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'm Murrin wrote:Also watched yesterday: The Muppets (the 2011 film with Jason Segel).

Kind of a mess of a film. Good ideas, badly executed. Some of the song parts just seemed disjointed from the surrounding scenes, and overall it tended to feel... off. I'm not sure if it was a failure of writing or direction, though I'm leaning toward the latter.
It might be a mess, but it's a Muppet mess. I thought it was great, and I'm not ashamed to say that I completely lost it when Kermit started singing "Rainbow Connection".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

went and saw Captain America - Winter Soldier.

my 2nd favorite comic book movie, after the first Cap in the series.

saw with it with Julie. she knows little about the comic and enjoyed it very much.
I know tons about the comic and enjoyed it very much.
this is how you should do comic book movies. make it enjoyable for both audiences.

there are enough Easter eggs to satisfy us hard core fans. and Julie likes me being there to point them out.

5 out of 5 stars.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

We watched The secret life of walter mitty or something like that last night. It was horrrrrrible.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Ananda wrote:We watched The secret life of walter mitty or something like that last night. It was horrrrrrible.
the remake?

Julie bought me the Lego Movie, so I can watch it after surgery.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

The Lego Movie was excellent.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I went to see Horns today. Enjoyed it, it's good. Kind of a dark fantasy, with a bit of humour in it.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

JazFusion wrote:I watched The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) last night, and was very impressed. Not an easy movie to watch, but then I have a penchant for watching psychologically disturbed movies.
Very good, and very disturbing.

Try Possession, with Isabelle Adjani.

Don't try Irreversible. I mean, the movie as a movie is incredible. But the plot is nauseating. And real, every day, in every city.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

Ananda wrote:We watched The secret life of walter mitty or something like that last night. It was horrrrrrible.
In total disagreement. It's an altogether different ballgame. I don't press play to watch "Vargtimmen" or "Pelle Erobreren" with the same expectations I press play to watch "The Princess Bride" or Mitty. Context. And in context, it was great.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

rdhopeca wrote:The Lego Movie was excellent.
True.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Unbreakable is, to date, his best movie by far.
It is, although Signs was IMHO poorly appraised because most critics missed the point that MNS didn't want to make a movie around a plot, but rather about a meta-plot, if you will, or the reason for a real plot as things go. Reason being the keyword. It's not about aliens who are allergic to water. It's about holography and the quantum mind.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

sgt.null wrote:watching Butterfly Effect for the unknownth time.

solid B film. at the point where he first goes to prison.
powerful in crescendo to the very end. kinda reminds me of donnie darko.
Ardet nec Consumitur.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just saw Mockingjay part 1. Decent enough, suffers a little from being one small chunk of a bigger story, and from a dumb plot point or two made more to create suspense or suprise the audience than to actually make sense; but if you liked the first two, you'll like this one.
Rod
Stonedownor

Post by Rod »

Fight Club

Have been watching lately anything by David Fincher.
I'd watched Fight Club years ago but I'd forgotten almost all of it, strangely enough - I couldn't even remember how it ended.

And with Fincher's use of subliminal messaging, every time I think of the film I start to laugh - then wonder how :lol: suddenly 8O get the hot's for Helen Bonham Carter.

Return to “Flicks”