What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes - it's slightly strange. I guess people go to see a film they think will work for them. Films that are badly received by the reviewers often still get good box office receipts despite this. It's like people won't take another's opinion on face value; there is a need to establish surety for themselves; that and the triumph of hope over experience.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:lol: hahaha very true.

I much prefer to check a movie out myself .. there have been movies that have received terrible critiques, that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Horses for courses.. 😏
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Watched Polar with Mass Mikklesen was absolutely awesome 😎 highly recommend it .. but graphic assassin violence 😏
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

peter wrote:Yes - it's slightly strange. I guess people go to see a film they think will work for them. Films that are badly received by the reviewers often still get good box office receipts despite this. It's like people won't take another's opinion on face value; there is a need to establish surety for themselves; that and the triumph of hope over experience.

I am generally able to overlook a lot of shortcomings in a movie if I like the cast or the writing or such. (Plus I have a fondness for the sort of cheesy B-grade horror movies that critics tend to loathe.)

That said, I watched The Favourite last night, and really did not enjoy it. Loved the cast. Loved the previews. Found the actual movie fairly depressing. Quite possible that I was just not in the right frame of mind.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's an incredibly weird movie. Kind of hard to get into; great performances and well made though.

I saw Happy Death Day 2U on Wednesday; I enjoyed it a lot, it's an interesting new direction to take from the original film (which I also thought was very fun). I missed the mid-credit scene but what I've heard about it has me wondering if they're going the wrong direction for the third film.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Saw The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot. Because it was praised in a couple places and got generally good reviews and because curiosity got the better of me.

Good, not great. It's a must see if you can't get enough Sam Elliott, as it's really an Oscar performance for the Stache more than anything else. It's never quite what you think it's gonna be, but that doesn't always work out for the best. Still, it's a nice thinking man's movie. peter would probably enjoy the heck out of it.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I have access to that, and am considering it, especially with it being endorsed as a thinking man's movie. But I recently saw The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, so that may be overkill.
Or I could follow it with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Man Who Knew Too Little, The Man Who Fell To Earth, The Man Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain, and about a hundred others.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... said The Man Who Thought about a Thinking Man's Movie Too Much.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I'm Murrin wrote:It's an incredibly weird movie. Kind of hard to get into; great performances and well made though.

I saw Happy Death Day 2U on Wednesday; I enjoyed it a lot, it's an interesting new direction to take from the original film (which I also thought was very fun). I missed the mid-credit scene but what I've heard about it has me wondering if they're going the wrong direction for the third film.
Is that the Groundhog Day Happy Death Day movie?

I found it so, so. Fun but done. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ But still fun. πŸ€”

Wayfriend that sounds like a fun romp .. will keep my eyes out for it πŸ‘€
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, Happy Death Day is Groundhog Day + Scream, which I found surprisingly fun, and the sequel Happy Death Day 2U adds in a heavy dose of Back to the Future 2.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Watched Im Mother .. or something like that with Hilary Swank ... sci fi ... loved it .. really good.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I got talked into watching Encino Man for the first time last night.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Has anybody tried watching Reminiscence? It's directed by Lisa Joy, and I'm not really a fan of what she did with Westworld (started strong, but then got bogged down by trying to be too clever rather than just telling a good story).
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Yes, it was reasonably well-done. It contained all the elements you are supposed find in a film noir--protagonist haunted by his past, the girl next door who may or may not actually be the femme fatale, secrets upon secrets, and brutal henchmen serving a rich bad guy. It isn't often you find a blend of science fiction and film noir, so that alone makes it worth watching. Sure, some of the plot elements are a little contrived and predictable, but that never detracts one from watching any other movie.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm 30 minutes in and bored silly. Sure hope it picks up soon.

Heck I'm posting on the Watch while I'm watching this.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

You forgot that the rich guy was bald, Hashi.

As for the style, should it be termed neo-noir? Futuristic retro?

I just finished the movie and it was everything I was afraid of. Absolutely beautiful style, but Lisa Joy confuses plot for story, and thinks "things are happening" is the same as "the story is progressing."
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Rigel wrote:You forgot that the rich guy was bald, Hashi.
Oh, yes--the legacy of Syndey Greenstreet.

I don't break noir into subcategories; noir is noir whether it is in the traditional 1940s, 1960s, now, or 2150.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

wayfriend wrote:Saw The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot. Because it was praised in a couple places and got generally good reviews and because curiosity got the better of me.

Good, not great. It's a must see if you can't get enough Sam Elliott, as it's really an Oscar performance for the Stache more than anything else. It's never quite what you think it's gonna be, but that doesn't always work out for the best. Still, it's a nice thinking man's movie. peter would probably enjoy the heck out of it.
Just seen this Wayfriend: I've seen the film on Netflix or Prime (or somewhere) and have been intrigued by the title - but a recommendation from you seals it. I'm in!

Will report back in due course!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

What's playing?

Post by Skyweir »

Watched Nope πŸ˜‚ a very different sci fi … fun .
.. started out painfully slow but picked up pace in short order lol πŸ˜‚

At first I thought i’d this a black comedy but NOPE ~ it is definitely a suspenseful sci-fi/horror.

There a few loose ends not tied up well but overall I enjoyed it.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

What's playing?

Post by Rigel »

So before the pandemic I subscribed to that MoviePass thing, and then when it folded I moved to Regal Unlimited, and now that I'm thinking of going to the theater again (haven't since BC times {that's Before Covid}), I'm considering Regal Unlimited again. But then I thought, "why bother for Disney spandex films?" I really don't care for the Disney flavor of super heroes, but those are the big movies these days.

Then, this weekend, I heard about and saw previews for two movies from the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia crew: Fool's Paradise, and Blackberry. Both look amazing, and are the kinds of movies I miss seeing.

I'll see what I can do about getting to see them in the next week or two, and keep you updated.

Return to β€œFlicks”