What's playing?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

after winning best film, best actor, best director - any doubts should be put to rest. go see the Artist! great film. julie has fallen absolutely in love with it and can't wait for the dvd to see what goodies they pack on it.

and if Oscar handed animals an award the dog would have won as well.

btw - the Artist also won best score and costume design.

if only the captivating Berenice Bejo had won for best supporting actress. she was brilliant!

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

E4 is showing the Alien series on Wednesday nights. Last night was Aliens. Now I think both Alien and Aliens are great films in their own ways, but wow, there are a hell of a lot of plot holes in the second one.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Murrin wrote:E4 is showing the Alien series on Wednesday nights. Last night was Aliens. Now I think both Alien and Aliens are great films in their own ways, but wow, there are a hell of a lot of plot holes in the second one.
but Aliens is very entertaining. esp the entire sequence with the marines. Bill Paxton is awesome!

Game Over Man!

language alert!!!

the newest Predators is also great. i have watched it at least ten or more times. highly entertaining.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sgt.null wrote:
Murrin wrote:E4 is showing the Alien series on Wednesday nights. Last night was Aliens. Now I think both Alien and Aliens are great films in their own ways, but wow, there are a hell of a lot of plot holes in the second one.
but Aliens is very entertaining. esp the entire sequence with the marines. Bill Paxton is awesome!

Game Over Man!

language alert!!!

the newest Predators is also great. i have watched it at least ten or more times. highly entertaining.
Exactly. Both of those movies are meant to be (and are) very entertaining. I would never call any of them science fiction classics, but as fun movies.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i wish more movies were simply entertaining. i tried the Trasnformer movies - i really did. but they gave me a headache and i have absolutely no idea what he point was.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

The Artist wrote:and if Oscar handed animals an award the dog would have won as well.
There is some award for animals in film, and there was a tongue in cheek feud between the staff of Hugo and The Artist as to which dog should get it.

Unsure of the outcome, but it made me laugh reading about it. Martin Scorsese had a big rant about how the dog in his film portrayed more emotional range.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

We just watch the finnish film Iron sky. It was really quite funny. Has anyone else seen it?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Gonna go see MIB3 with my son this evening. :) No apologies.

I actually didn't like MIB when it came out. It seemed rather silly and mindless. (duh!) When MIB2 came out I needed a good laugh and it delivered. Hoping MIB3 will do the same.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

We might take the kids to see MIB3; we have the other two at home and the enjoy both of them. None of the visuals are "too much" for kids (ages 9 and 11) and the sly adult jokes go right past them.

We will take the kids to see Brave in a couple of weeks, though.
Last edited by Hashi Lebwohl on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Ananda wrote:We just watch the finnish film Iron sky. It was really quite funny. Has anyone else seen it?
The Finn has, quite a few weeks ago; we enjoyed it thoroughly. :D Apparently it's getting distributed to American cinemas, too. Which isn't bad from a partially fan-funded small-budget film.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just watched Attack the Block, an excellent sci-fi comic-horror film about a group of south London youths attacked by aliens in their tower block. Very good.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just watched Pixar's Up for the first time. Very good.
Theo Mach II
Ramen

Post by Theo Mach II »

as part of my "wow look at all the stuff on netflix" initiation, I decided to start with Big Man Japan. :lol:
thoughts have no lips
but they speak
they make no sounds
but we listen
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

watching Butterfly Effect for the unknownth time.

solid B film. at the point where he first goes to prison.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Went to see Iron Man 3 on Saturday. It's a totally ridiculous and over-the-top film, without actually becoming dumb like the second film was. It's pretty good.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Saw 'Oblivion' last week. Not bad. Really good special effects etc. The plot was a bit obvious to experienced sci-fi people, but it was bit of fun trying to spot the nods to previous films in the genre. B-.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Watched 'Total Recall' (with Colin Farrell) and 'Prometheus' over the weekend. 'Total Recall' was just one long action sequence after another. Good special effects and futuristic CGI images didn't make up for the fact that this film (like the original) didn't have anything to say. I think I've read the Philip K. Dick short-story it's based on, 'We Can Remember It for You Wholesale' and I don't know if that had anything to say either.

'Prometheus' was a good bit better, but suffered from the same lack of plotting as well. There just didn't seem to be any point to the whole thing. A certain nod towards nihilism in there somewhere but no real attempt to embrace or develop it. Pity, as the robot plotline had the most potential in it.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Most Philip K. Dick stories had a lot to say. Unfortunately, you had to be taking the same drugs he was to understand what those things were. When reading his stories you always need to remember two things: 1) the world is not what you think it is and 2) the jack-booted thugs of Authority are coming to get you (presuming they haven't already done so).
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Haven't seen Total Recall (the new one) yet, but what suprises me is why they would make it at all. The story is moderately fun but has already been done with 'Arnie' in the lead role. For goodness sake I mean Arnie..Colin Farell...Arnie ...Colin Farell. Producers - some things you just don't do!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Watched Unbreakable again. Will there ever be another superhero film as good as this one?

Return to “Flicks”