Whatcha been playing lately?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote:Never actually played any of the FF games.

--A
You don't need to.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yeah, I think the original Final Fantasy VII was the first I played. They all are self-contained, as long as they follow the number scheme, although some of the sequels have muddied the waters a bit. And since the remake is the full game that is broken into pieces, this being the first part of who knows how many, that certainly muddies it up even more. But it used to be each time it was a completely different story with some familiar enemies, and shopkeepers, and mounts, and such. Kinda like how all Dragon Quest games have to have the cartoon slimes.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just checked out the 7 remake, don't think I'll be trying it. :D Sorta a Diablo-ish kinda thing (apart from the graphics which look like Zelda or something...)?

Still deep in X4, modding it a little. HQ is definitely self-sustaining now, and have 50 million in the bank. Starting to think of another station, because I'll need billions to actually take on other factions effectively.

--A
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Nah, neither Diablo or Zelda like. Old school RPG, like tons before it, but now updated a bit so it has live action fighting, but still waiting for the bar to build before you can do the bigger actions (unlike how the original version was, which was waiting for the timed bar to build before you could take an action, in lieu of an initiative like roll from D&D). But it still feels like an old school RPG game, like many of the JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and tons of others. Or others like Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Wizardry, Tunnels of Doom, all in that camp. But since they have updated it with action, honestly the best comparison is to Ni No Kuni or even Kingdom Hearts, to a degree.
But yeah, if that isn't your bag, then give it a miss. It's a great story made all the better by the remake. But if you prefer gameplay over an interactive book kind of thing, then definitely give it a miss, as the story is the good part, and the battles often feel like a hindrance more than adding to the story, even though some of the battles are fun. And the minigames.....oh, the minigames.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, not into interactive books really. :)

I'm playing this weird indie thing called "Drug Dealer Simulator." :D

Not all that polished, especially for a full release, but oddly...well...addictive... :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I picked up the Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality while it was available, so I've been going through a few games on there. So far:

A Short Hike - really nice little game where you travel around a small island meeting people, collecting things, and gaining the ability to jump and climb higher on your way to the peak of the island. Highly recommend.

Overland - A simple strategy survival game where you control a group of survivors trying to cross a US that's infested with monsters, struggling to survive and keep your car fueled. Very punishing difficulty curve.

Gladiabots - A robot arena battle game where you use a simple visual editor to craft code for your automated bots then watch them follow this code to win games against other teams. I've sunk more time into this than any of the other games, because it's really interesting to get digging into why your bots are behaving a certain way and trying to come up with instructions that improve their behaviour in the various game modes. It's a pretty interesting coding-lite kinda experience, if occasionally frustrating.

Post by Avatar »

Hmm, last one sounds interesting.

Sorta at a loose end game-wise...not really feeling like anything much.

Prob will go back to my X4 playthrough.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Ended up playing and finishing Yakuza Kiwami, (after playing Yakuza 0 a (year or two ago?) and now playing Yakuza Kiwami 2.

They're sometimes clunky ports to PC with annoying controls and weird camera behaviour, and some weird and whacky content in addition to the actual story-line, but the (often tragic or ironic) story of Kazuma Kiryu is a strangely compelling one, and it's sorta half game, half movie.

The original PS series is up to 8 games now I think, and I can see why it has a following, even though it can be a bit tedious as well.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I finally finished Spider-Man on Sunday. Excellent game in terms of story, combat mechanics, and the web swinging, but a hell of a slog in terms of content. The game has a bunch of optional stuff you can do as you progress, and it keeps adding more and more and more as you play through - and it's all exactly the same, just with different environments and different skins on the enemies. The game gets very repetitive. Which is a shame, because the ending is the best part and people could easily get sick of it before they reach that ending.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Weird that I haven't posted in here since Spider-Man. I've since played God of War (2018), gotten into Fall Guys, and am currently deep into compulsive behaviour involving Crusader Kings 3. I've spent most of my time awake the last 6 days or so playing it, I'm not sure it's healthy. Great game though.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, some of the guys on my discord play it, never tried any of them actually. :D

Don't know what to play, once again. Tried going back to a modded Subnautica but got quickly bored.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Let's see, it's been a while since I've been in here so I've got some catching up to do...

I revisited both Titanfall 2 and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Both are shorter games (can be finished in one evening if you push hard), both have engaging stories and environments but are massively different in feel. TF2 is a shooter with a giant mech as your loyal dog, while Hellblade is regarded as the best representation of schizophrenia in video games.

Then I picked up Detroit: Become Human and promptly completed it twice. For Sci-Fi fans, this game is a better Westworld than Westworld. It's another short game, 8-10 hours, but with a widely branching storyline about androids gaining sentience and staging an uprising. Lance Henriksen is actually in it, and, surprisingly, I think it's some of his best acting work.

Then, a month ago, Horizon: Zero Dawn released on PC. It's... alright. I think I'm just not as into the large open worlds with lots of grind anymore; as you can see from the other games I mention here, I seem to be enjoying shorter games with better stories more. Which kind of concerns me about the upcoming Cyberpunk release; I highly doubt it's a 10 hour game.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Avatar wrote:Haha, some of the guys on my discord play it, never tried any of them actually. :D

Don't know what to play, once again. Tried going back to a modded Subnautica but got quickly bored.

--A
X Box Game Pass is £1 for a month and you can get Crusader Kings 3 on it right now. ;)

Post by Avatar »

:lol: Xbox? Pffft. ;)

Went and started a new Bannerlord campaign. Trying to be a bit smarter about it this time.

I never feel like I get value from short games. If I don't get at least 50 hours from a game I usually feel like it's a waste.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Av, you should try Rimworld, Factorio, and Gemcraft.

The Holy Trinity of gaming value... All three of them clock in at 5C or less per hour for me. Even Witcher 3 didn't reach that, only getting to around $0.30/hr.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Avatar wrote::lol: Xbox? Pffft. ;)
I have never owned an XBox - XBox is Microsoft's PC gaming platform too.

Post by Avatar »

Funny, Discord just gave me 3 months free Xbox something membership.

I've played Rimworld Rigel, not the other 2. Enjoyed it for a good while back in Alpha, but sorta done with it.

I will once again plug Kenshi for the best emergent story-telling ever, at an estimated US$0,007 per hour. So far.

[Edit: Oh I got it on sale..at full price in my currency it would be US$0,010. So far. ]

It may honestly be the best game I've played in 35 years of gaming.

:D

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

If you haven't played Rimworld since Alpha, you need the try the 1.2 update (and the Royalty DLC if you don't mind spending more). Plus... mods.

"Mod it 'til it breaks" applies greatly to Rimworld.

And check out on Reddit the /r/shitrimworldsays sub if you want to be truly horrified.

Post by Avatar »

I do love a game you can mod. :D Ah, maybe one of these days, just picked up CKII free to play on Steam, thought I might as well see what the fuss was about, never tried a CK game before.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Did another play-though of State of Decay 2 for fun. Will clean this forum up when I get around to it sorry. Board is giving me grief otherwise I would make Peter the mod and make him do it.

Might anyway if I can make the board work properly. Or if Vain can.

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”