Your Top 5 Games

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

1. Master of Magic (PC - and THE best game ever, hands down)
2. Bard's Tales I & III (Apple IIc)
3. Dark Heart of Uukrul (Apple IIc)
4. Civilization III (PC)
5. Justice League Heroes (PS2 - Rocks!)

I'm old school, and I know it.

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Last edited by Worm of Despite on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Covenant, great choice w/ terranigma (even if you made it 3 years ago :P)

1: Cho Ren Sha
2: Devil May Cry 1+3 (for the gameplay, not the story)
3: Fire Emblem (particularly no's 5 and 9)
4: Warcraft III (I don't actually love it, but I've been playing it on and off since its release in 2002).
5: Cave Story
Runner Up (aka excuse for a #6): Metal Gear series.

My biggest gaming faux pas is that I don't like Chrono Trigger, though I've played through it twice. Or maybe that I actually do like Chrono Cross, the tainted sequel.
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

1. Fable
2. Halo and Halo 2 (is that cheating?)
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (game of the year edition, with the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions)
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

1. The Neverhood
2. Freespace Series
3. FFVIII
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Metal Gear Series
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:2. Bard's Tales I & III (Apple IIc)
I loved the Bard's Tales games from wayback when. The first was amazing, but yeah, I think I liked Bard's Tale III best. And I have a good memory of just getting it when my friend came to stay the summer with me. We hammered that sucker out during the summer, and it was so damn much fun. And all without a cheat guide. Yeah, in the complicated bits, I'd map the dungeons, and he'd move around and fight. I remember some of puzzles really giving us headaches, but I felt really good we solved them. And those were the days when you couldn't just go to gamefaqs and get hints. You had to buy the hints at the store. So I stayed pretty honest then. I remember the last battle in III just being insane.

I'd like to add the next 5, since I see several 10's here, and I'm shifting some around:

1. Tunnels of Doom - the amount I have played this in my life, it must be my favorite. And every once in a while when I get depressed, I'll break it out and play a 10 level dungeon.
2. Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar - What can I say? A strange introduction to Eastern Philosophy for me.
3. Final Fantasy VII - Reinvented the genre. FFX-2 - the most playable.
4. Gabriel Knight series - always learned a heap playing these on subjects like voodoo, New Orleans, the mad prince or king or whatever of Bavaria, and the third was my introduction to the stuff covered in Holy Blood, Holy Grail and Da Vinci Code, but was done so much better than Da Vinci Code. I still wish they would make a new one of this series.
5. Dance Dance Revolution - lost 30 pounds playing it. One of the best ways to exercise IMHO.
6. The Longest Journey - One of the best executed point & click games, and I only had to get hints once, maybe twice. This was quite a game, although at times the characters did ramble a bit too long. Too bad the sequel had to go all 3-D and lose some of the magic and cleverness that the first had, and in place were those annoying "time your jump" puzzles like a Tomb Raider game would have.
7. FF Tactics - Another revolutionary game, though the storyline has never made any sense to me.
8. Ico and Shadows of the Colossus - Ico was one of the prettiest and strangely emotionally moving game I had ever come across when I played the demo years ago. Bought it, loved it. When Shadows came out, I was drooling for it, also playing a demo that took me a LONG time to figure out how to take the first guy down. Once I got the full game on opening day after a long series of delays, I wanted everyone to know about it. Pure art.
9. Pokemon - yeah yeah yeah
10. As I struggled before, I struggle now to name a Blizzard game. I have to say the first Warcraft wasn't something I hadn't played before, but it was the first time it really honest-to-goodness worked. I played a demo, and ran out to get the full game. Warcraft II worked better, but got a bit tedious toward the end. Starcraft brought the story across better. Then Diablo came out. Again, nothing I hadn't played before, but it was such a cool construction of several elements that just WORKED. I'd probably say Diablo 2 was the most enjoyable game they have thrown together. For some reason, I've never fallen in love with Warcraft III, but I sure enjoyed it. Looking forward to Starcraft II, though from what I've seen it just looks like Starcraft I, only shinier with new features.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I think I finally got a list I'm satisfied with--no, really! Ultima Online wins the top spot, simply because of the people I met, the interesting events (battles, court trials), and the organizations you could join (there were town militias and even a university at one point). I fear I'll never experience a deeper role-playing game.

1) Ultima Online
2) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (I played this game at 7, and the sheer size of the world and the joy of discovery was mind-boggling)
3) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (my first RPG, and it takes me to unspeakable levels of nostalgia and Mario worship)
4) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (my favorite plot of any video game...the stealth is insanely addicting and the jungle setting is enthralling)
5) Chrono Trigger (this game is note-perfect: endearing characters, timeless graphics, a unique battle system, and the ability to replay it over and over with your old stats/equipment)
Moxinomal
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Moxinomal »

Mine go as follows:

1. Final Fantasy VII: Like with a lot of people in the gaming world, my top game has to be FFVII. Not only did it have an interesting story with great twists, but it was (as you will here often) groundbreaking. I had a game with almost 1000 hours logged on it trying to get three Master Materias for all my party characters, everyone's final Limit Break, and Final Weapon.

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: When this game came out, I was really starting to get in to video games. It had a spectacular story and having an LoZ game in 3D was amazing in itself to witness. Doing all the little quests were always fun. I will never forget the Water Temple being extremely difficult. I can't count how many times I had to walk away from the game in order to not smash it in rage.

3. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past: This masterpiece comes in third on my top. I have beaten the game countless times. It was one of the first Zelda game I remember playing and it holds a fond place in my heart.

4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars: Wow. SMRPG was just astounding to me. The fact that they put Mario, whom everyone knew as a platformer, made his way to the RPG world just knocked me off my heels at first. The new characters introduced were interesting and the fact that you could control both Bowser and Peach was great.

5. Chrono Cross: I know a lot of people out there don't like Chrono Cross because after playing Chrono Trigger, they got their hopes extremely high. I myself never played CT before I got my hands on this game; so after beating this game and then going back to play CT I was shocked by how many things were referenced. It was the first game I played with the Game+ feature and trying to get all the characters was one of the many noteworthy reasons to playing it through again and again.
Embracing me is to embrace the true way your mind works. Let yourself not be hindered by the false.
Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

1. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

-Easily the most emotional and involving experience I've ever had with a video game. And the most time I've ever spent on a video game... Best game ever. :)

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

-Simply amazing. I can't count how many times I've played through this game.

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

-Probably the biggest "wow" moment in any game I've played. The story was incredible.

4. Final Fantasy 3 (Snes version, the good one. :D)

-My introduction to RPG's. I'll always love this game.

5. Chrono Trigger

-Haha, god this game is great.
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I will update my top five games list:

1. Medieval Total War II.
2. Silent Hunter III.
3. Galactic Civilizations II - Dark Avatar.
4. War of the Worlds.
5. The Thief Series.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am stuck with a ps1...

madden football
nba
mlb
hockey
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Dagon wrote:3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

-Probably the biggest "wow" moment in any game I've played.
Hell yeah! 8)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:

Hell yeah! 8)
I wish I could share the sentiment; Revan ruined that wow moment for me before I had even attempted to install the game. 8O
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Loremaster wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:

Hell yeah! 8)
I wish I could share the sentiment; Revan ruined that wow moment for me before I had even attempted to install the game. 8O
8O The git! That's one of the greatest game moments! 8O
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

1- Ninja Gaiden (NES)
This game will NEVER come off the #1 position.

2- Castlevania II (NES)
Played this one forever and ever, I never got tired of this game.

3- Ms. Pac Man (Atari)
What can I say? It's a classic!

4- Colosseum: Road to Freedom (PS2)
Battle to gain your freedom. Very overlooked game but plenty of fun. Big rewards for being a skillful fighter.

5- God of War (PS2) and GUN(PS2)
Okay this one is a tie.
God of War combines a lot of my favorite gameplay elements (hack-n-slash, puzzle solving, quest, and ridiculous body count.)
Gun on the other hand was deeply immersive for me. Great story, beautiful artwork, realistic missions.
I only wish that Neversoft had made the enviroment larger and added more extras to continue gameplay after winning the central storyline.

I'm an old-schooler when it comes to video games, I can still put aside all the awesome graphics for an Atari anytime. And of course Pinball doesn't count as video games but <i>Dr. Who</i> pinball is the greatest thing ever.

Honorable mention:
Baldur's Gate II (PC)
Vanguard (Atari)
DOOM (PC)
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Silent Hill
Shadow of the Colossus

It's hard to narrow it down to five!
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Metal gear solid 1
fable
Legend of zelda: ocarina of time
Elder scrolls: oblivion
god of war
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Starcraft
Baldur's Gate
SimCity
Civilization

And the greatest video game of all time...

DEUS EX
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I am old...

The games I played most:

On C16:

Jack Attack

On C64:

Impossible Mission, Archon, Hexenkuche, Exploding Fist, Elite

On PC:

Civ2 - 3 - 4
XCOM Terror from the Deep
Bloodnet
FIFA 95 Road to World Cup
Privateer
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Oh wow, Impossible Mission - that game defined hard!

XCom is great, as is Privateer. You know there's an open source "spiritual successor" to XCom called UFO: Alien Invasion?

There's also a port of Privateer using a graphics engine called Crystal or something like that; however, it's attempting to be an exact replica of the game, and I found that the graphics and controls haven't aged very well, so I didn't enjoy it when I tried it :(
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information

Return to “PC & Console Games”