Good info for all

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Good info for all

Post by [Syl] »

From Stargazers to Starships

by David P. Stern

www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sintro.htm
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I can't be bothered to read through all that, can you tell me what it is on about in brief?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

If you can't be bothered to read through the introduction on the first page, it's probably not your thing. But let it not be said that I didn't try...
Once upon a time, when "From Stargazers to Starships" was first written, it was just a short course at the high school level.

It combined elementary astronomy and mechanics with the story spaceflight, adding interesting insights from the history of science.

If you are a serious enthusiast, be aware that "Stargazers" is trying to tempt you into interesting by-ways. I have tried to create a site with complete, explicit explanations of space research and related physics. Much of what is available on space is written either by non-scientists whose understanding is incomplete or superficial, or by scientists whose terms are too technical for the non-initiated. "Stargazers" aims at users of ordinary intelligence, though persistence also helps!
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Great link page, CS. I can't wait to explore it all. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks, Tom.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “The Loresraat”