Babylon 5

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

sindatur wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

I do admit that JMS really dropped the ball--he set himself up to have an amazing show had he followed the adventures of G'Kar and Lyta as they traveled the galaxy. As it is, he went with Crusade--which didn't appeal as much--and the "didn't strike while the iron was hot" show which was Tales of the Rangers (or something like that).
Yea, the Adventures of G'Kar and Lyta could've been amazing visually. On the other hand, could those adventures truly be done Justice visually, or might they be more amazing left to our imaginations?
I think that would have been a great miniseries. Not sure about a full-length show, but probably more than a movie.

Now I just need a couple million dollars and a time machine...

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Sorus wrote:
sindatur wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

I do admit that JMS really dropped the ball--he set himself up to have an amazing show had he followed the adventures of G'Kar and Lyta as they traveled the galaxy. As it is, he went with Crusade--which didn't appeal as much--and the "didn't strike while the iron was hot" show which was Tales of the Rangers (or something like that).
Yea, the Adventures of G'Kar and Lyta could've been amazing visually. On the other hand, could those adventures truly be done Justice visually, or might they be more amazing left to our imaginations?
I think that would have been a great miniseries. Not sure about a full-length show, but probably more than a movie.

Now I just need a couple million dollars and a time machine...
I think it would've been best suited as an Animated show, actually. Sadly Andreas has Gone Beyond the Rim, so, yea, definitely need a TARDIS or other Time Machine

On the Plus side, if you can raise a couple Million Dollars and borrow a Time Machine, it would be worth more in the Late 1990s than it is today :R

ETA: I've got 6000 White Gold Dollars, 3 Brass Buttons, and a really big bag of rolled coins (Mostly Pennies :oops: ) to chip into that Kickstarter Campaign :R
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

We're off to a good start! Know anyone who could build a time machine?

I've never been much in favor of animated versions, they don't seem to do justice to the material. The Discworld animated movies were okay, but the live action versions were so much better.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I've seen a TARDIS built as a Cat Tower, and I have 4 Cats that I would like to have one built for. If you can find someone who has, and is willing to Install, the Nucleus/Personality, I'd be happy to loan My TARDIS to you for a bit, once I get the budget and find someone to build it for me.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... sfCcp8Vt6M
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

8O

My cats need a TARDIS. They may not know it yet, but they do.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Sorus wrote:8O

My cats need a TARDIS. They may not know it yet, but they do.
I just got off the phone with a Local Guy, asking for a Quote with 3-D sketches, that I will proceed upon purchasing once I approve the sketches. Should be between $150 and $250 (Likely closer to $150) :R

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Awesome! You'll have to share pics when it's done. There's a guy here who did a bunch of cat furniture for the SPCA - mostly in the form of city landmarks. I wonder if he does custom stuff. I'd try to DIY it, but I'm not much of an artist.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Sorus wrote:Awesome! You'll have to share pics when it's done. There's a guy here who did a bunch of cat furniture for the SPCA - mostly in the form of city landmarks. I wonder if he does custom stuff. I'd try to DIY it, but I'm not much of an artist.
As Joe (Or Jane) Average, I don't think you could get the materials Resale cheap enough to justify DIY, unless it's a project you really want to DIY. I thought about it, and then thought about the quality of me bumbling through it versus someone who knows what they're doing, and costing about the same, or a few dollars more for the Professional to do it and relieve the stress.

For the resale Price of materials, I think you could have it built , including supplying materials, by A Professional with access to Wholesale prices for materials, at about the same cost of Resale Materials alone, or just slightly more than that.

I have a Cat Tower that's torn up, that would probably cost a good $50 to refurbish, so, might as well go Whole Hog, and get a meaningful piece of furniture out of the Upgrade deal

ETA: OH...CRAP...This is a B5 thread :oops: Sorry about the derailment

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

It's not derailment, we're building a time machine to improve the quality of B5 post season-4. Right on topic.

:shifty:

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Sorus wrote:It's not derailment, we're building a time machine to improve the quality of B5 post season-4. Right on topic.

:shifty:
Good Point!!

However, let's not get carried away (Oh, and we need to remember to avoid unprotected Spoilers, we've gotten close a couple times).

Admittedly, due to the Cancellation, S4 ends things in a whirlwind, that might have been better if stretched out a bit more. Likewise, S5 starts up cold again, having to lay out all the Seasons Arcs.

So, yea, I'd move scenes around to make many of S4 Arc points end in early S5 instead, while laying those new S5 threads in Late S4 to pad out the scenes you moved. I don't really think I'd want to actually change anything though, just move stuff around to make a smoother overall Arc, instead of rush to end everything, and then rush to start everything

Most other episodes I'd leave alone, too, except the Grey 17 part of the Episode named for it. That part of the episode should really be scrapped and do something else instead. The other story in the Episode, however, is amongst the best the show has to offer

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Skipping to the end of this thread, to avoid spoiler. Me and my flatmates have jsut started watching this show, maybe 3/4 through season 1. So far I very much like it.

Criticisms: some of the dialogue is hokey as all hell ("you forgot the first rule of the fantatic: when you obsess over the enemy, you become the enemy!"). The CGI hasn't aged well. You also get some noticeably 90s moments- like the parade line of Earth's "religions-" who knew "Maori" or "Eskimo" were religions?

Praise: The characterisation and world building are both fantastic. Both Babylon 5 and the wider universe feel like living, complex societies. I love the politics and the history between the races, and how all of that affects the present in a believable way. I love the mystery of the Minbari's motivations and the Vorlon's....everything :lol: I love Londo and G'Kar and Garibaldi. My least favourite character is easily Commander Sinclair- he's a bit too much of a classic strong-jawed American hero to be interesting. All the others are great.

Consider me a fan, and look for updates here as I watch significant moments.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cambo wrote:Skipping to the end of this thread, to avoid spoiler. Me and my flatmates have jsut started watching this show, maybe 3/4 through season 1. So far I very much like it.

Criticisms: some of the dialogue is hokey as all hell ("you forgot the first rule of the fantatic: when you obsess over the enemy, you become the enemy!"). The CGI hasn't aged well. You also get some noticeably 90s moments- like the parade line of Earth's "religions-" who knew "Maori" or "Eskimo" were religions?

Praise: The characterisation and world building are both fantastic. Both Babylon 5 and the wider universe feel like living, complex societies. I love the politics and the history between the races, and how all of that affects the present in a believable way. I love the mystery of the Minbari's motivations and the Vorlon's....everything :lol: I love Londo and G'Kar and Garibaldi. My least favourite character is easily Commander Sinclair- he's a bit too much of a classic strong-jawed American hero to be interesting. All the others are great.

Consider me a fan, and look for updates here as I watch significant moments.
3/4 of the way through Season 1 and loving it? You are in for a most awesome ride. S1 is the least enjoyed by newbies, but, almost everyone who makes it through S1 (Or skips ahead to S2, if they can't handle S1) truly fall in love with the Series at least S2 - S4 (Opinions vary on S5).

I personally love it all the way through, and there are only a couple episodes in the whole show that I'm not a fan of. Also, although S5 has to start up cold (Because S4 was believed to be the end, before a last minute renewal on a different network for S5, S4 arcs were finished up, and S5 starts cold again, like S1 with laying out the arcs, but, second half of S5, I think are some of the best of the entire Series)

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Welcome to the B5 Club, Cambo!

The starchyness of Season 1 seems deliberate to me. I think it helps us to accept the overwrought characters of Londo and G'Kar. It smoothes out from Season 2 on.

Don't rush watching them, there's only 5 seasons! :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Agree with most of what's come before. If you like the first season, it's only gonna get better for you.

I hated Sinclair a lot...partly the character, and partly the actor bores me, but other things kept me hanging in, and it paid off.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Vraith wrote:Agree with most of what's come before. If you like the first season, it's only gonna get better for you.

I hated Sinclair a lot...partly the character, and partly the actor bores me, but other things kept me hanging in, and it paid off.
I can't really hate the guy...I mean, there's not a lot there to dislike as far as I've seen. He's courageous, well-intentioned, compassionate, even noble. He's just really really boring. :lol:

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

ussusimiel wrote:The starchyness of Season 1 seems deliberate to me
JMS was still trying to figure out how to put together a show during Season 1. Other than 2 or 3 episodes, you could skip Season 1 altogether and not miss anything by watching only 2 - 5.

Sinclair was designed on purpose to be a stand-in commander for the first season until Sheridan arrives; thus, he didn't really need much in the way of character development. His real character development comes later....
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
His real character development comes later....
better story/character...but the actor still made me either sleepy or annoyed.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

About a dozen episodes in. Very much enjoying it. I like the spirituality. I like the hints of the huge things that are out there.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Four episodes into Season Two. Liking the show even more. Sheridan is a way better character than Sinclair. Things are slowly heating up with more hints and revelations about the "shadows." Delenn has hair. Londo is starting down a dark path. While he isn't being pranked by Techno Mages. G'Kar and the Narn in general are becoming more and more sympathetic. Ivanova continues to kick ass. And everyone still has a fondness for cheesy jokes.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

As an aside, if you're on Facebook you really need to follow Claudia Christian. She's a riot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “TV Shows”