Which SRD Short Story Would Make the Best Comic Book?

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Which SRD Short Story Would Make the Best Comic Book?

Post by duchess of malfi »

It has happened with George R. R. Martin's novella The Hedge Knight.
It has happened with J. R. R. Tolkien's Novel The Hobbit.
It has happened with David Brin's short story Thor Meets Captain America.
Supposedly it is going to happen with Robert Jordan's novella (expanded into a novel), A New Spring.

They have all been adapted into comic books/graphic novels. :)

I was wondering which of Donaldson's short storiers and novellas would translate well into comics...

The one I would most like to see would be Gildenfire...it would be so cool to see the Haruchai in action...Lords Hyrim and Shetra with the wolves...some good action to be found there... :)
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

"What Makes Us Human"

Tense, clear-cut drama in space, small cast of characters, one strong dilemma to be solved by direct action.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Had to think really hard on this one. Found Joy's choice good. WHAT MAKES US HUMAN but ended myself up with MYTHOLOGICAL BEAST. I could easily see the images of a Unicorn walking the streets of a city...

kasten
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I think Animal Lover would be cool!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I think Animal Lover depends on invisible senses like smell, and on the "protagonist's" divided mind, enough to make it very difficult to draw.

Cool, the way SRD expresses the divided mind by using parentheses in Animal Lover. I had never seen him make use of parentheses before that I could remember.

I do agree that Mythological Beast is a natural to draw, but I'd rather see it as an animated film.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'd have to go w/What Makes Us Human too...
fall far and well Pilots!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Having had time to think about it, I'm even more enthusiastic about the idea of Mythological Beast as an animated film.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'd love to see an elaboration on The Killing Stroke. I think it's my second favourite SRD short story, after The Djinn Who Watches Over The Accursed.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

"Mythological Beast" is my vote. Although, if we're talking a full-on graphic novel, I think you could do worse than "Daughter of Regals." Plenty of sex & violence, and a really excellent super-magical climax.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I would LOVE to see 'The White Lady', done specifically by Barry Windsor-Smith. That story unfailing evokes BW-S's artwork for me - the quirky romanticism, the dreamy mysticism - it would be a perfect match! For those unfamiliar with BW-S's work, here's a panel from one of his comics:

Apart from that, I think 'Daughter Of Regals' would work brilliantly in comic / graphic novel format as well.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'd never seen a comic drawn that way! Now I can think of any number of books I'd like to see Windsor-Smith illustrate, starting with LM Montgomery's EMILY OF NEW MOON, a children's book that is magical in too many ways to name.

Can you think of an illustrator you'd like to see draw "Lord Mhoram's Victory"?
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Michael Wheelan or maybe Alan Lee.

I'm not familiar with any female illustrators. But it would have to be someone who can capture realistic facial expression, I think.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't think it would be the BEST one, but the easiest and most marketable would probably be Daughter of Regals.

Killing Stroke the one I'd most like to see done well.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”