Do Yourself a favor: Read Walter Jon Williams!

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

danlo
Lord

Do Yourself a favor: Read Walter Jon Williams!

Post by danlo »

THE PRAXIS
"Dedicated readers of space opera expecting planet-busting shenanigans might be slightly perplexed by the genteel opening section which takes its time in establishing a society where rules and etiquette are everything, as well as exploring the tangled history of the characters. Absorbing and entertaining, with some effective hard science and an edge of relationship-based humour that Jane Austen would have appreciated, it's a careful opening but one that gives little sign of any promised intergalactic conflict.
"It's to Williams'; credit that this strategy pays off magnificently, and when the action arrives it's from a completely unexpected direction. Suddenly, previously rule-abiding characters find themselves having to go outside the chain of command in order to survive, and the plot accelerates into a breathless, unpredictable, effortlessly charming adventure that grips like a vice and isn't afraid to throw some surprising comedy into the mix. One of the most shamelessly entertaining SF epics in recent memory, this is an impressive start to what promises to be a fearsomely inventive space opera;- let's just hope that someone has Williams chained to his writing desk, so we don't have to wait too long for volume 2."
--- Saxon Bullock, SFX Magazine
The Praxis is book one of an amazing new Sci-Fi series that continues in, the just released, The Sundering: Book 2 of the Dread Empire series. This stuff is right up there with Zindell, Herbert and Assimov. Walter Jon Williams lives about 20 miles south of me in Los Lunas NM and hangs with George R. R. Martin and SRD at times. IMHO he is one of the best Sci-Fi author of our time.

Aristoi was Hugo nominated and one of the best Sci-Fi's I've ever read, bar none. Hardwired has wedged an immortal place in "cyber-punk" right inbetween Gibson's Nueromancer and Sterling's Islands in the Net. His first books like Angel Station and Voice of the Whirlwind are fast, enjoyable and tightly wound stories of space station life. His "world-city" books; Metropolitian and City on Fire, both nominated for both the Hugo and Nebula awards, deal with the bizarre concept of a monetary/energy source called Plasm and feature Aiah-one of the best concieved and rounded female characters I've ever encountered in Sci-Fi. Williams also has a funny and entertaining series featuring Drake Majistral, The Galaxy's #1 Allowed Burglar who's kind of a cross between Kilmer's Mad Martigan and Robin Williams. Though it's obvious it sometimes works too hard to rival Douglas Adams (which it cannot) it's still a fun space romp full of sex, drugs and rock & roll and, of course, the prefunctionary Elvis sightings. 8)

Days of Atonement and his third to last book, The Rift, occur in the not to distant, at all, future and have the feel that they could even be happening as we speak. The Rift is an incredibly well researched postulation about an area in Missouri that suffers the worst earthquake and landshift known to man-the scary thing is that this could be real and the possiblity for this actually happening is backed up by alot of hard scientific data. Days of Atonement, from a sheer literary standpoint is one of the best books ever written-the content of the book aside, if you're an aspiring writer you seriously need to look at the structure of this book-grammar, punctuation, tense, plot construction-amazing. Days of Atonement is about a sabotauged fission experiment at Los Alamos Nat'l Labs-Sci-Fi aside it is one of the best character inner struggle (aside from TC of course :wink:) and murder/mysteries ever penned.

(He also wrote a "New Jedi Order" book called Destiny's Way- Tom C. and other Star War heads!! :wink: )
Last edited by danlo on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ok I'll act like Fizban and say, "Not one hit? COME ON!" :rant: :P Why is that 5 different people at the Hangar (180 members) know Williams and no on here does? Or is it no one loves me anymore :cry: or that I make members up at Hangar and talk to myself all the time? :haha: :S
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Nobody likes to interrupt a double poster, D-lo. :mrgreen:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

dANdeLION wrote:Nobody likes to interrupt a double poster, D-lo. :mrgreen:
8O :faint: :P (The sound of one clap handing eh? Or: you're never alone with a skitzophrenic? Is that it??)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

(I've never seen this topic before today, I'm sure...)

Sounds interesting. If I eventually decide to continue reading sci-fi, I may give it a look.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Danlo, I was seriously considering that Praxis series - you've convinced me to add it to my TBR list. :)
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I'm reading Hardwired now, and it's awesome. I read Metropolitan and City on Fire earlier in the summer, and enjoyed them as well. I'll be reading more of his books in the next year or so. The present tense writing takes a bit of getting used to; does he do it in all of his books, or did I just get lucky?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I just finished The Rift, and it was really great. Wow, I loved that book. It's not really sci-fi, but it's worth a read.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Really like Williams. Read his Ambassador of Progress a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I've read some of the Dread Empire's Fall series as well. Time to check out some more!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have read Aristos, which is just about as good of a book as you will ever read. And I have read The Rift, which is fairly forgettable. I would read more of Williams if I came across it, but haven't made any effort to.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”