The One Tree, Chapter 13: Bhrathairain Harbor

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

The One Tree, Chapter 13: Bhrathairain Harbor

Post by matrixman »

It's the aftermath of the storm. Starfare's Gem has a big gap in its side where its midmast had fallen. For two days the dromond protects its wound while at the mercy of a relentless wind that pushes the ship off course. The time the ship spent on its side has resulted in seawater spoiling much of its food stores. The Giants put in serious overtime to get things back to normal.

Recovering from the storm, Linden wants to make herself useful as well. Cable Seadreamer responds, and brings her to help him and Cail clean up one of the ruined grainholds. As she works, Linden thinks about both Seadreamer's and Covenant's plight. Seadreamer's Earth-Sight distress seems eased by the fact that the ship is not moving towards the One Tree. Linden feels that the Giant's trial among the Elohim has altered something in him--maybe some part of his vision--to make him dread the One Tree so much. As for Covenant, Linden still has no answer to his blank state. She only knows that her last attempt to enter him was wrong because it was not done in the right spirit; instead, it was tainted by rage and hunger for power. But she feels that it's precisely that anger that pushed her to make the attempt; otherwise, she would have been too afraid.

Later, Grimmand Honninscrave holds counsel to decide where to go from where they presently are. Starfare's Gem is in a precarious situation, having been driven off course, and in desperate need of supplies, food and repair. By chance, the ship finds itself not far from the land of the Bhrathair. So Honninscrave suggests to Linden that Bhrathairain Harbor may be just the place to meet the needs of the quest and the ship. All the Giants want to go there, but Linden senses that they also have misgivings. Honninscrave explains that Giants have not visited Bhrathairealm for a long time, but tales he has heard hints that the Bhrathair are a changed people, thus the quest cannot be sure of the welcome it will receive. Linden decides they should take the risk. The Giants are relieved by her decision.

Days later, Starfare's Gem reaches Bhrathairealm and its hot and dry climate. Linden and Pitchwife stand together on deck to watch as the Giantship enters the huge Harbor. Linden can already see the "massive stone pile" of the Sandhold at the far end of the harbor town:
Erected above Bhrathairain in five stages, it dominated the vista like a brooding titan. Its fifth level was a straight high tower like a stone finger brandished in warning.
Pitchwife tells Linden the story of the Bhrathair's struggle against the Sandgorgons of the Great Desert, and the coming of Kasreyn of the Gyre, who emprisoned the Sandgorgons in their Doom. The plight of the Sandgorgons troubles Linden:
In her world, dangerous animals were frequently exterminated; and the world was not improved thereby.
A skiff from the Harbor comes out to intercept Starfare's Gem and directs the dromond to a levee large enough to accommodate it. The sight of the Giantship at the docks draws a crowd of people who had never seen such a thing before. Shortly, the Giants are met by the Harbor Captain. This guy is all business. When Honninscrave tells him Starfare's Gem has not come for trade but repairs, the unsympathetic Captain replies that if they're not here to do business, they can't stay. If the Giants try to stay, he promises that their ship "will be destroyed before nightfall." So Honninscrave orders Galewrath to take the Captain hostage "to share whatever harm we suffer."

Then, five men on horseback arrive on the scene. One of them dismounts and hurls abuse at the poor Captain, then presents himself to Honninscrave. He is Rire Grist, Caitiffin of the ghaddi's Horse, come to give welcome to the Giants. He goes all out to smooth the way for the Giants, but his flowery words don't impress Honninscrave much. The Giant goes to consult with his companions. Again, they defer to Linden for the final answer. She decides they should go ahead and meet with the ghaddi.

But Linden seems to be struggling against "a growing inner confusion" that might be affecting her choices:
Her attention kept slipping away toward the Sandhold. Immense powers lay hidden within those blank walls. And powers were answers.
Honninscrave leaves Sevinhand the Anchormaster in charge of Starfare's Gem, with instructions to flee the Harbor if necessary. Though he wants to be at the First's side, Pitchwife must stay behind to begin repairs. Honninsrave orders Galewrath to let go of the hapless Harbor Captain. They will accept the ghaddi's "gracious" hospitality.

(I was a last minute substitute, so I hope my summary here wasn't too incoherent...)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

In her world, dangerous animals were frequently exterminated; and the world was not improved thereby.
Another beautiful pro-environment salvo by SRD! Who told Covenant originally about the Giants aiding the Brathair against the Sandgorgons so long ago? Foamfollower? And who would want to live in such a barren land with Sandgorgons running amok all the time? Where did these people even come from? Were they criminals and outcasts from some strange land we never see? And I'm always curious about the charted coastlines of "dangerous, unknown lands" as Pitchwife puts it. I want to explore them!

This is heart of why The One Tree is my favorite book in the series. Along with Elemesnedene it really fleshes out the world of the Land and always makes me wonder where Home is in relation to all this. This part of the series raises all sorts of questions--and that's exactly what I love about it. Take the Kemper for example-tons of questions; his origin, how did he learn his art? He came from the west?! From the Land possibly? If so where-how old--these questions never end! Finally exposed to a different language-wow! Mindblowing!

And a most excellent dissection MM! 8)
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Post by srtrout »

Excellent dissection, Matrixman!

This chapter further describes the profound senses possessed by Linden in the Land that will soon be even more evident; I don't think it's a spoiler to say that her sense of what is really behind the superficial appearances of people in this harbor will soon be critical to the company's success. That is a common theme with evil; those of evil often project a benign or calm demeanor, but those of insight may sense something evil lurking underneath . (In his book "People of the Lie", Dr. M. Scott Peck states that this is a sense many of us have; we actually can sense evil as a sort of revulsion that comes in encountering those of evil. However, he also cautions us to not trust that sense too much . Otherwise I would have trouble accepting certain of my brothers-in-law).

SRD's description / creation of the harbor is incredible. I understood it better after seeing the diagrams of it, but the harbor itself is such a symbol of the power and coercion of the entire community. The harbor allows you in, but then uses force to keep you there .

Like others, I would love to learn more about the geography of the world outside of the Land - perhaps we'll learn more in October?
srtrout
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Then, in an odd way it kinda resembles Elemensnede doesn't it? You can check in, but you can only leave with their permission. Who knows how this works on all the ports on this side of the Land's world. I would assume that Home would be an exception...
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

I've always seen Bhrathairain and those folks as a Land's equivalent of New Zealand as far as the people goes. Watching the LOTR's movies and knowing the locations were all in NZ blows any conception or comparison to the desert locale of the this setting. Now before any New Zealanders get all over my case about the comparison, think upon the origins of the people of NZ and follow me as I speculate upon the origins of the Bhrathairains. Left upon a desolate land to serve out their sentences to the crown the prisoners of NZ developed their own place in the world and eventually became a wonderful place to be/visit.
Anyway... I'm from Utah and I know first hand about people moving out to BFE in the middle of a desert and wondering just what kind of people would want to live there.
It's a mystery here on this earth and in the Land.
Frank Herbert writes in Dune:
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.
--from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan
perhaps this is the people of Bhrathairain, only some or most of them are still developing. Kasrenyn might be the most developed of them all. But as someone else mentioned he was from another place and perhaps another time?
I agree with srtrout that the he harbor itself is ideal to keep folks (enemies?) out but like the Iron Curtian it keeps people in. The Sandwall and the
Spoiler
former danger (???) of the Sandgorgons
hold them from/to the desert. Wondering with glee if perhaps SRD had a moment's touch imagining that there are pirates which give cause to the unique nature of the harbor.
I found it odd that the Giants feel they have an questionable truce with these people. But surely they must be glad to reach the safety of the harbor despite the joyful work that the wound in the Dromond's side had them doing their best seamanship probably in ages.
Ah alas! I can empathize with the Master of the terrible wound that he had to inflict upon his vessel. You can imagine the relief and gratitude that Honninscrave must've felt towards Linden as she made the fateful decision to gain the harbor and the resources within.
Striving to emulate Covenant, she said, "All right. I hear you." With an effort of will, she raised her head, suppressing her conflicted heart so that she could meet the eyes of the Giants. "I think we are too vulnerable the way we are. We won't do the Land any good if we drown ourselves or starve to death. Lets take our chances with this Harbor."
For a moment, Honninscrave and the others stared at her as if they had expected a different response. Then, softly, Pitchwife began to chuckle. A twitch of joy started at the corners of his mouth, quickly spread over his face. "Witness me Giants," he said. "Have I not avowed that she is well chosen?"
Of course that wonderfully warm line from the First as she made excuses to join her husband
" I desire to hear the song which is now in Pitchwife's heart."
and we all know what that meant eh boys and girls?? :lol:

But back to the Master
Linden was left alone with the Master.
"Linden Avery, Chosen." He appeared uncertian of how to address her."
Here is Master and Lord of his vessel and clearly he's humbled by this human's obvious sacrifice for the man she (clearly) loves.
"There is much in the matter of this Search, and of the Earth's peril, which I do not comprehend. The mystery of my brother's vision appalls my heart. The alteration of the Elohim --- and Findails presence among us ---" He shrugged, lifting his hands as if they were full of uncomfortable ignorances.

Jeez what a line and so descriptive.
"But Covenant Giantfriend has made plain to all that he bears a great burden of blood for those whose lives are shed in the Land. And in his plight you have accepted to support his burdens. Accepted and more." he degressed wryly. You have averred them as your own. In sooth, I had not known you to be formed of such stone."
A Giantish compliment if ever there was one.
But he returned to his point. "Chosen, I thank you that you are willing for this delay. I thank you in the name of Starfare's Gem, that I love as dearly as life and yearn to see restored to wholeness..."
I'm with danlo that this is one of my favorite of the entire series. The Giants make the reading so ... wonderful. Their courage their... :oops: repeating myself...

SRD gives us a good rest and warms our heart through the Giant's love of their ship and of each other and their growing respect for the humans in their care. I'm going to have a t-shirt made that will say "I LOVE GIANTS" and be damned if some folks think I meant the NFL franchise. LOL
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Interesting connection between Elemesnedene and Bhrathairealm! So while not exactly hostile places themselves, I guess they represent a murkier world of deception and illusion outside the Eden-like innocence of the Land?

Particularly in the case of Bhrathairain Harbor, this is a bustling, "modern" place where the culture of commerce rules, unlike the agrarian culture of the Land. And where there's business, there is the potential for greed and exploitation, and the prickly politics of the haves and the have-nots. Maybe that's the loss of innocence I'm talking about. The "simple" struggle of the Land vs. the Despiser has no meaning in a place like Bhrathairain where materialism and social status rule. The Bhrathair--people like the Harbor Captain--would probably sneer at a "backwards" country like the Land. (Not realizing, of course, that his little world is ultimately in danger from an all-consuming evil. If told that there was a real evil being called Lord Foul out to destroy the Earth, a guy like the Harbor Captain might call it non-sense talk by religious fanatics. Now wouldn't that be funny?)

In the Land, though, there was thriving trade during that part of its distant history when it was ruled by a King and Queen. Wonder what that was like?

Methinks I'm being sloppy. When I say the "Eden-like innocence" of the Land, I'm really thinking of pre-Sunbane Land. Since the Bhrathair were already in business in the First Chronicles, just pretend this comparison is taking place a few thousand years ago! The current state of affairs in the Land is hardly innocent: there's plenty of deception and illusion, what with the Clave's lies and a-Jeroth.
danlo wrote:This part of the series raises all sorts of questions--and that's exactly what I love about it. Take the Kemper for example-tons of questions; his origin, how did he learn his art? He came from the west?! From the Land possibly? If so where-how old--these questions never end!
Yes, Kasreyn is such a fantastic mystery! He steals the show in TOT. If he did come from the Land, maybe he was formerly one of the Unfettered who passed out of the Land's knowledge? Fist & Faith put forward this idea in the Kemper thread, and I like it. It sounds quite plausible to me. But I also like Damelon's suggestion that Kasreyn was just a "freelance bad guy." :)

(edit--Seafoam slipped in his post while I was working on mine. Just wanted to acknowledge you, Foamy! Good points about the Giants as always! :D )
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Matrixman wrote:As for Covenant, Linden still has no answer to his blank state. She only knows that her last attempt to enter him was wrong because it was not done in the right spirit; instead, it was tainted by rage and hunger for power. But she feels that it's precisely that anger that pushed her to make the attempt; otherwise, she would have been too afraid.
Linden seems to be in a somewhat similar double bind as Covenant had been in during the First Chrons., minus the "belief/unbelief" aspect. Each of them is sometimes too paralyzed to use their power (when it needs to be used, to prevent or cure harm) but other times the paralysis is broken by passions that contaminate the power being used. And Linden is as yet nowhere near the acceptance of contradiction that eventually made Covenant effective for good despite his limits and guilt.
srtrout wrote:That is a common theme with evil; those of evil often project a benign or calm demeanor, but those of insight may sense something evil lurking underneath . (In his book "People of the Lie", Dr. M. Scott Peck states that this is a sense many of us have; we actually can sense evil as a sort of revulsion that comes in encountering those of evil.
This seems to be a recurrent theme in the Second Chrons. Remember how Gibbon na-Mhoram is described as having a "beatific" (blessed?!!) expression, and using a tone of voice that sounds "like the serenity of a pure heart." SRD captures both the seamless self-righteousness and the underlying perceptible corruption of Peck's definition of evil.
srtrout wrote: However, he also cautions us to not trust that sense too much .
Yes, there's always the issue of whether the revulsion is a perception of something actually in the other person, or is occurring in the eye of the beholder because of their own issues. (Not always necessarily a projection of the beholder's own evil, but at least a profound emotional allergy of some kind, can result in spurious revulsion as if toward recognized evil.)

Cail thinks he sees through Linden's conflicted sincerity and Hippocratic Oath, regarding them as nothing more than Corruption's certainty of its own rightness. He doesn't realize that if "certainty of one's own rightness" is morally hazardous, his and his people's own judgments are also at risk.
Matrixman wrote:When I say the "Eden-like innocence" of the Land, I'm really thinking of pre-Sunbane Land. Since the Bhrathair were already in business in the First Chronicles, just pretend this comparison is taking place a few thousand years ago! The current state of affairs in the Land is hardly innocent: there's plenty of deception and illusion, what with the Clave's lies and a-Jeroth.
And the Sunbane is as vivid a picture as I've ever seen of the "flaming sword that turned every which way" to keep our banished ancestors from returning to Paradise!
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The origin of the Sandgorgons are every bit as mysterious as the origins of the Ravers from Lifeswallower.
"The Sandgorgons--so it is said--are beasts birthed by the immense violence of the storms which anguish the Great Desert. They are somewhat manlike in form and also in cunning. But the chief aspect of their nature is that they are horrendously savage and mighty beyond the strength of stone or iron. No aid of Giants could have saved the Bhrathair from loss of the land they deem their hom--and perhaps from extinction as well--had the Sandgorgons been beasts of concerted action. But their savagery was random, like the storms which gave them life. Therefore the Bhrathair were able to fight, and to endure. Betimes they appeared to prevail, or were reduced to a remnant, as the violence of the Sandgorgons swelled and waned across the depths of the waste. But no peace was secured. During one era of lesser peril, the Sandwall was built. As you see"--he gestured around him--"it is a doughty work. Yet it was not proof against the Sandgorgons. Often it has been rebuilt, and often have one or several of these creatures chanced upon it and torn spans of it to rubble.["]
Despite the fantasy aspect of the Sandgorgons they oppose, the Bhrathair are in many ways the beings most like people of our own world, with their emphasis upon using commerce to enhance prosperity. Their city sounds like a medieval trading port.

Return to “2nd Chronicles”