THE ONE TREE: Chapter 14 "The Sandhold"

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

___
The Gap Into Spam

THE ONE TREE: Chapter 14 "The Sandhold"

Post by ___ »

This chapter begins with a small company (consisting of the First, Honninscrave, Seadreamer, the four Haruchai, Findail, Vain, Linden and Covenant) leaving Starfare’s Gem and going to the Sandhold at the invitation of the ghaddi. Linden has doubts as to whether or not it is wise to bring Covenant, as well as some uneasiness about Rire Grist, but lacks either the confidence or conviction to speak about it.

As they make their way through Bhrathairain, Linden hears the conversation between Honninscrave and the Caitiffin, and notes that the Kemper, not the ghaddi, had invited them to the Sandhold. Honninscrave seems surprised to find the Kemper is Kasreyn of the Gyre.
”Then Kasreyn of the Gyre yet lives among you, after so many centuries of service. In good sooth, that is a thing of wonder. Was it not this same Kasreyn who bound the Sandgorgons to their Doom?”
“As you say,” Rire Grist responded. “The Kemper of the ghaddi Rant Absolain is that same man.”
“Why is he so named?” pursued Honninscrave. “He is far-famed throughout the Earth-yet I have heard no account of his name.”
“That is easily answered." The Caitiffin seemed proof against any probing. “’Kasreyn’ is the name he has borne since first he came to Bhrathairealm. And his epithet has been accorded him for the nature of his arts. He is a great thaumaturge, and his magicks for the most part manifest themselves in circles, tending upward as they enclose. Thus Sandgorgon’s Doom is a circle of winds holding the beasts within its heart. And also is the Sandhold itself of circular formation, ascending as it rounds. Other arts the Kemper has, but his chief works are ever cast in the mold of the whirlwind and the gyre.”
They travel without incident to the gate of the fortifications of the Sandhold. There they are stopped by the hustin, who, not being a city in Texas, instead are squat, powerful, vaguely manlike creatures reminiscent of Jabba the Hut’s Orc guards in Return of the Jedi (Thanks, George Lucas, for that malevolent yet idiotic visual). The hustin insist on the names of each member of the group before they can enter the Sandhold. The hustin assail Lindens senses with their aura of ‘not right’, and she is more certain than ever they are being led into a trap, but she can think of no other way out, so she follows through in her turn as do all except Findail and Vain, naturally. Before it can come to blows, however, a ‘silent whisper of power’ rustles through the passage, and the hustin back off and let the two troublemakers through.

Here the party dismounts and enters the Sandhold. As they make their way to the Majesty of the ghaddi, they travel through several levels of the Sandhold, while Rire Grist explains the areas they pass through. On the third level, the Tier of Riches, the party comes into contact with the Kemper. Linden feels him before he comes into view, radiating an unmistakable aura of power, and of hunger. As the Kemper introduces himself to the Giants (and Covenant blurts out a well-timed “don’t touch me”), Linden can’t help but stare at the infant slung on Kasreyn’s back. The Kemper notices the stare, and explains the baby to her, but Linden can’t stop the feeling of terrible wrongness about the child. Linden’s discomfort just keeps rising, along with the apparent danger to the company. The company has to be very careful not to offend, because they are completely depending on the hospitality of the Kemper and the ghaddi to repair and restock their ship. If anything goes wrong, they could find the ship cut off from supplies, and themselves cut off from their ship, with no means of escape for either. And, the Kemper is clearly a man of immense power. Covenant, the only one who could prove equal to this power, is incapable of even wiping the drool off is own chin.

Once done with the introductions, the Kemper leaves, to the acute relief of Linden. Honninscrave asks Rire Grist about the baby, but the Caitiffin stiffly replies “there is no man or woman, Chatelaine or Guard, in all Bhrathairealm who will speak to you concerning the Kemper’s son.” At that, Grist turns and leads the company to the ghaddi Rant Absolain. Wearily, with the knowledge they are only going from one danger to another, the company follows.

As they enter the Majesty, Linden is fairly awe-struck at the immenseness of the room. The Auspice itself is quite impressive, though the truth is that it is enhanced by the lighting and surrounding architecture to make it appear larger than it actually is. In fact, the purpose behind the design of the Majesty seems to be to make everybody who comes there feel vulnerable, inadequate and subservient. Linden notices that the entire Chatelaine seems to share fears of their own; whether they fear the ghaddi, the Kemper, or both, she does not know.

Finally, the ghaddi Rant Absolain appears with his two Favored, the Lady Alif and the Lady Benj; the rest of his harem; and, of course, the Kemper. The ghaddi doesn’t look like a sovereign at all to Linden; in fact, he looks more like a spoiled old man. Absolain proves her theories correct with his first words, which are in effect much whining about why these strangers aren’t bowing to him. Once about half the company does bow (you didn’t really expect Findail, Vain, or the Haruchai to bow, did you?) though, Linden realizes that the ghaddi’s petulance is directed at the Kemper, who holds the real power in Bhrathairealm, while Absolain only holds a title. The ghaddi takes out his petty frustrations on the Kemper by whining about why he was called to this meeting, and refusing the First’s request for a sword to replace the one she lost. Now the Kemper shows his power.
With a nameless pang, Linden saw Kasreyn take hold of his golden ocular, raise it to his left eye. A stiffening like a ghost of fear ran through the Chatelaine. Rant Absolain squeezed farther back in his throne. But the Kemper’s gesture appeared so natural and inevitable that she could not take her eyes away from it, could not defend herself. Then he met her gaze through his ocular; and without warning all her turmoil became calm. She realized at once that she had no cause for anxiety, no reason to distrust him. His left eye held the answer to everything. Her last, most visceral protests faded into relief as the geas of his will came over her, lifted the words he wanted out of her. “O ghaddi, I ask it there is aught your Kemper can do to heal my comrade, Thomas Covenant.”
Clearly showing relief that the ocular was not used against him, Absolain grants Linden’s forced request. But when the Kemper tries to take Covenant, Brinn refuses to leave his side. The Giants do not understand what the Kemper has done to Linden, and tensions raise while Brinn and Kasreyn debate the care of Covenant.

Kasreyn: “I thank you, Brinn of the Haruchai. You may leave him safely in my hands.”

Brinn: “No”

Covenant: “Don’t touch me.”

Kasreyn: “, Brinn of the Haruchai, my arts admit of no spectation. If I am to aid this man, I must have him alone.”

Brinn: “Nevertheless he is in my care. I will not part from him.”

Kasreyn: (with the aid of his ocular) “Linden Avery, command this Haruchai to give Thomas Covenant to my care.”

Linden Avery: “Brinn, I command you to give Thomas Covenant to his care.”

Brinn: “I will not.”

The Chatelaine recoils in fear. Kasreyn threatens to command the guards to kill all of the company. The Giants, Hergrom and Ceer move toward Covenant.
But Brinn did not need their aid. Too swiftly for Kasreyn to counter, he put himself between Covenant and the Kemper. His reply cut through Kasreyn’s ire. “Should you give such a command, you will die ere the first spear is raised.”
All of the Chatelaine flee the Majesty. The Kemper fumes, then calms down and leaves, insisting that he means no harm, and that Brinn should be ashamed for his distrust. The ghaddi, realizing that he has been left alone with a group of people who just outfaced the Kemper, makes a quick exit with his ladies. Rire Grist regains his composure, and offers to take the company to their quarters, where food and rest await.
At that moment, Linden came out of her imposed passivity with a wrench of realization which nearly made her scream.
Thus ends Chapter 14. :twisted:
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Kasreyn of the Gyre inadvertedly (??) gives the Haruchai another reason to distrust Linden by turning his ocular on to her and ordering her to order the Haruchai to turn Covenant over to his care...alone.
It becomes clear here the reasons why he wants to do so ...
Spoiler
the white gold
. Guess the question is did the Kemper understand Covenant's apparent helplessness could aid him in obtaining the
Spoiler
ring
? Has he seen this before?
SRD is obviously turning the screws to increase the level of tension in the story here with the rejection and challenge of the Haruchai. They of course act true to form by counter threatening the direct source of the threat to themselves. They know the value of "cutting the head off of the serpent".
The Kemper is a classic villian here, accustomed to getting his way and then reacting (childishly) before mastering himself and "blowing it off". There is little or no mystery to this particular character (IMO) he's so transparent like the infant poised on his back, which actually the only minor mystery as to it's exact nature. Also classic is his manner of acting as the puppeteer over the Ghaddi.
Interesting to note that Findail didn't express any alarm in the (potential) danger of turning Covenant over to the Gyre.
Ya, I had the same mental image of the Hustin when I first read their descriptions. Interesting how pigs or pig-like creatures tend to be depicted in a guard-like position in many other stories. Another one comes to mind are some of the guards of the witch in Disney's Sleeping Beauty (I've got young nieces which love the story/DVD and have watched it repeatedly :roll: ).
I liked reading about the company's tour of the Sandhold. Especially the First's too obvious drooling at the weapons housed in the Tier of Riches. Her mind keeps going back to the particular glaive which would be suitable for a warrior her size. One wonders if Giants had presented previous Ghaddis with weapons fitting to their size. The Giants certianly are no strangers to warfare. Can you imagine how much of a difference they would've made in the battle of Revelstone had they, the Unhomed weren't slaughtered? Foul wasn't stupid in that regard for sure.
The Ghaddi Rant Absolain was comical to me. Spoiled and in my mind's eye, emfeminate. A wuss, wimp, basically a spineless loser. Perfect choice for one not to challenge the Kemper's true authority.
Pissing his robes wasn't too surprising a reaction after
The ghaddi, realizing that he has been left alone with a group of people who just outfaced the Kemper, makes a quick exit with his ladies
It's obvious that no-one has ever dared to do so... but then again no Haruchai has ever been present in the Kemper's err presence.
Good Dissection.. loved those personal insights.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great dissection, thanks Mr. Green!

This is one of my favorite Haruchai moments:
Kasreyn: “I thank you, Brinn of the Haruchai. You may leave him safely in my hands.”

Brinn: “No”

Covenant: “Don’t touch me.”

Kasreyn: “, Brinn of the Haruchai, my arts admit of no spectation. If I am to aid this man, I must have him alone.”

Brinn: “Nevertheless he is in my care. I will not part from him.”

Kasreyn: (with the aid of his ocular) “Linden Avery, command this Haruchai to give Thomas Covenant to my care.”

Linden Avery: “Brinn, I command you to give Thomas Covenant to his care.”

Brinn: “I will not.”

The Chatelaine recoils in fear. Kasreyn threatens to command the guards to kill all of the company. The Giants, Hergrom and Ceer move toward Covenant.

But Brinn did not need their aid. Too swiftly for Kasreyn to counter, he put himself between Covenant and the Kemper. His reply cut through Kasreyn’s ire. “Should you give such a command, you will die ere the first spear is raised.”
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I agree with dlbpharmd; that was indeed a great moment for Brinn as an individual and the Haruchai as a whole. It really proves the Vow wasn't the only thing that made the Bloodguard so special.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

>Interesting to note that Findail didn't express any alarm in the (potential) danger of turning Covenant over to the Gyre.

He probably thinks that the Elohim mindblock will hold through anything this lesser thaumaturge could manage to achieve. (In which, he is not entirely incorrect.)
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well I can't really call them the Search anymore as Pitchwife must stay aboard to effect repairs, but the as the "Landing Party" prepares to go ashore Vain and Findail join them,
They approached the gathering together as if they were intimately familiar with each other, However, Vain's ambiguous blackness formed an acute contrast to Findail's pale flesh, his creamy rainment and expression of habitual misery.
And now I'm going to go all philosophical on you. :D The symbolism Donaldson is creating here between the two is apparent, but then something struck me that I never really considered before. Actually I did but took it for granted in my past two reads of the series. It's, really, so simple it should have jumped out and bitten me. I spent about an hour at the school today trying to find the exact term to describe it. Alas I was unsuccessful and the Drama instructor was in a staff meeting.

I know what it's not called. It's not Dramaticus personae or tempus fugit :P or the Ying/Yang of the theater--but you know what I mean. It's the two masks that symbolize the theater; one smiling and one sad. AHA! That's Vain and Findail in a nutshell! Again representing opposite ends the the spectrum. The heights and depths of human emotion, joy and suffering, etc...Clearly reflecting this Passion Play we call life. Interestingly enough they DO represent masks as, compared to humans (or Giants and Haruchai :wink: ) they are not what we'd nessesarily consider "real".

Maybe I'm a dolt for not catching this right away
Spoiler
I mean it's in your face for the remainder of the series
but ah the craftmanship and subtlety of SRD. danlo continues to be amazed! 8)
Last edited by danlo on Mon May 17, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

dANdeLION wrote:I agree with dlbpharmd; that was indeed a great moment for Brinn as an individual and the Haruchai as a whole. It really proves the Vow wasn't the only thing that made the Bloodguard so special.
I agree - very quick thinking.
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Most excellent summary, Mr. Green!
Mr. Green wrote:the hustin...are squat, powerful, vaguely manlike creatures reminiscent of Jabba the Hut’s Orc guards in Return of the Jedi (Thanks, George Lucas, for that malevolent yet idiotic visual).
Jedi was fresh in my mind in '83 when I read TOT later that year. When I got to the hustin, images of Jabba's Gamorrean Guards popped into my head, and that mental association has remained ever since. There ought to be a drawing of the hustin so I can focus on that image instead of thinking about green, goofy hippo dudes from a Star Wars movie! Idiotic visual indeed! (TOM C and dANdeLION are two folks I'm aware of that can draw around here. Would they be interested in drawing the hustin?)
danlo wrote:It's the two masks that symbolize the theater; one smiling and one sad. AHA! That's Vain and Findail in a nutshell! Again representing opposite ends of the spectrum.
I never thought of their relationship that way before! Yes, the symbolism does seem obvious once it's pointed out.

Connecting the dots for fun: SRD uses the term "theurgy" to describe Kasreyn's brand of magic. In one definition, theurgy was a magical art practiced by certain ancient Egyptian Neoplatonists. This image of magic in the desert land of Egypt jives with the image of Kasreyn and his magic in the desert realm of the Bhrathair. Kasreyn is himself a "thaumaturge": to the ancient Greeks, that would mean a performer of miracles. Among the ancient Greeks was the philosopher Plato, who inspired those wacky Neoplatonists. That SRD sure is clever! :wink:

As the company passes through town, Linden picks up on its character:
The smells of dense habitation thickened the air--exotic spices and perfumes, forges and metalworks, sweat, haggling, profit, and inadequate sewers.
So, the comforts and conveniences of modern living engender modern pollution problems. Different world, same issues. Environmental concerns play second fiddle to progress. I wonder if Bhrathairain Harbor stinks a little from centuries of town sewage spilling into it? Somehow I doubt they have a sewage treatment plant hiding somewhere.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Matrixman wrote:TOM C and dANdeLION are two folks I'm aware of that can draw around here. Would they be interested in drawing the hustin?)
After the visual Mr. Green gave, I'm afraid I'd only draw a Jabba the Hut Orc guard. :mrgreen:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I see, dANdeLION. Well, at least I'm not imagining the Sandhold as Jabba's palace. Wait, I'm having visions of the Max Rebo band playing beside the gaddhi... 8O
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Kasreyn and his occular...

Does the occular somehow focus his will? Or does it have power in its own right?
Is what he does to Linden a result of directing his will at her, some sort of hypnotic power, or something else entirely?
Love as thou wilt.

Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

duchess of malfi wrote:Does the occular somehow focus his will? Or does it have power in its own right?
Is what he does to Linden a result of directing his will at her, some sort of hypnotic power, or something else entirely?
If all power is an articulation of its wielder, I'd think that the ocular magnifies but does not create. And Kasreyn works from first to last (not only in magic but also in the political sphere) by manipulating the wills of others. The ocular imagery reminded me of a psychological article I read once called "Looks that Kill the Capacity for Thought", about how sometimes parents or others in authority can, as it were, suck out all the initiative from those in their power, merely by a certain force of quelling glance.

The Auspice gave me the willies. Especially that pavement of perfect circles with ankle-twisting drops between them--I'd need to hold on to my bodyguard to traverse that thing safely. :(
SRD wrote:Looking at her companions, [Linden] saw that the Giants were not immune to the power of the Majesty; and even the Haruchai seemed to experience some of the awe which had led their ancestors to Vow fealty to Kevin Landwaster.
*shudder*

Though Haruchai prowess is lethal and Haruchai rage a thing not to regard lightly, neither is nearly as dangerous as the Haruchai capacity for allegiance. Dangerous to the enemies of those they are loyal to, to the very recipients of the loyalty, and to the Haruchai themselves.

To appeal to this capacity calculatingly, for base ends of power, must be among the blackest blasphemies imaginable. Words fail me.

At the gaddhi's arrival,
SRD wrote:Every courtier dropped to one knee and bowed deeply.
Linden and Seadreamer also bowed. Her breathing was cramped with anxiety. She could think of no appeal or power which would induce the Haruchai, Vain, or Findail to make such an obeisance.
By the Vow! no appeal or power indeed. The obeisance required by the gaddhi is the very same gesture the Haruchai offer Covenant twice of their own free will. How dare anyone demand it of them who has not in their eyes merited the gift?
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson

Return to “2nd Chronicles”