Runes, Prolouge, Ch. 1: Mother's Son

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Roger does not necessarily have to be possessed by a Raver to serve Foul. Remember the leader of the maniacs, the one who stabbed TC in TWL? He served LF out of religious fanaticism and psychosis. Roger may be like that.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I could see Roger not being posessed by a Raver to start the book(s), but then becoming a Raver....perhaps willingly.

I am grossed out by him.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I still find it interesting that both of Covenant's children have not-sane eyes, and that both are also sculptors. :)
Wonder if Roger will make as much of a mess as Elena did with her actions at the end of TIW. :?
Love as thou wilt.

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Duchy, I think it's going to be a whole lot worse...Roger is in Foul's clutches. :? :cry:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Seems to me more like Roger IS Foul. Maybe Raver perhaps. Foul never used Joan like Roger is being used.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

seppi, I love your avatar, btw.

I think Roger is too stable to be a Raver...for now. As I opine above, he could be a candidate for posession. Ravers possess little in the way of Guile, do they not?

ImageImage
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

What monster has Fist & Faith unleashed here? There are more responses to this "dissection" about an as yet non-existent book, than there are responses to the One Tree chapters! C'mon, folks, join in on the discussions for The One Tree! It's a wonderful book--tastes great, and it's cholestrol free! :)

(I know danlo is the one who cracks the whip around here, but hey...)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh, I hate Roger already. He needs a wack.
Bahgoon_the_Unbearable
Servant of the Land

Post by Bahgoon_the_Unbearable »

Perhapes the reason why Linden is also drawn to the land is so that not one, but two white gold rings will be present. I believe that Lord Foul wishes for Linden and Joan to do battle, and hence destroy the arch of time. After all Linden would not willingly raise her power to such extremes, yet if face with the challenge of another ring she may have to go to such lengths. Maybe this also gives insight as to why Roger takes Joan's son as well, he may be used as leverage to make Linden use her power in such ways that threaten the arch of time. Just a thought...
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Foul's problem is that Joan is an imperfect weapon because of the guilt that she feels. This might lead her to give her ring to Covenant, or Linden on his behalf, which would put both beyond the Despiser's reach.

As long as Covenant and Corruption don't become one that is. In that case Joan might use her ring and join Linden against Covenant/Lord Foul. Imagine that! TC versus the two women he loved. 8O

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

LAdies and Gents...our new soap opera...As the Land Turns ....

ImageImage
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

My one and only hope for the Last Chronicles is that Joan is able to redeem herself.

She's suffered SO much, all because of a single mistake that she made before the very first book even started. A mistake she made out of fear and love for her child. A mistake that she tried to reverse by contacting Covenant at the beginning of the second book. Her love for Thomas - even though they had been separated for at least several months (long enough for someone who didn't truly care to "get on with their lives") - overcame her fear and she tried to reach out.

This one mistake is easier to understand, and far less damning, then the Rape of Lena.

I feel it in my bones that Joan is a force of Good. The despiser has bent her to serve his purposes, but she remains unbroken (maybe not in mind, but in spirit). She told Roger that he must take her place if she failed. I think Roger was tricked into misunderstanding that statement. Compare Joan at the beginning of White Gold Wielder to Roger at the beginning of Runes...

Ah! Poor Joan!! You need not fail, however he mail assail you. Remember - there is also love in the world.

:cry:
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

One wonders which of them out of Joan, Roger, Linden, and Linden's child will see the old man before they cross over... Interesting if he visits Joan...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I truly believe they all will see the old man in one form or the other.

ImageImage
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Remember that nothing like that was ever mentioned for Hile Troy, however - though I don't think Troy would have much chance recognising him, he would have remembered cryptic words about not giving in to despite coming from a complete stranger, I think. I don't think the more 'accidental' crossings over, or the ones picked entirely by Foul (Roger, Joan, that kid) would see him - although Joan's situation may be different. Roger will be fully Foul's tool, but Joan could end up being an important factor in the struggle.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Nirrum wrote:One wonders which of them out of Joan, Roger, Linden, and Linden's child will see the old man before they cross over... Interesting if he visits Joan...
Interesting question! I'd say Joan and Roger are too much on Foul's side already for him to talk to them. They'd recognize him, probably even hit him if they could. Possibly Linden, in which case she'd try to get some concrete info out of him. But maybe her son, since the old man has always spoken to people who have no idea what's about to happen, or who he is. Although her son might know something, considering his drawings.

Ah, I don't freakin' know!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Like I said earlier, Joan is an imperfect and dangerous weapon for Foul. Roger may choose to side with the Despiser, but Joan is there by default because of the guilt she feels over abandoning Covenant. If she should recover from this, then the midden could hit the windmill for Lord Foul. Whether he likes it or not, one of the two white gold rings belongs to her, and unless it is freely given to someone else, only she can truly use it.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

But if Covenant is the white gold and the arch of time then it shouldn't matter. Foul couldn't use the white gold against the arch again.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Seppi2112 wrote:But if Covenant is the white gold and the arch of time then it shouldn't matter. Foul couldn't use the white gold against the arch again.
Ah, but the Law of Life is broken. If Foul contrives a way to bring Covenant back from the dead, what tortures may he not attempt on the Arch of Time's living flesh?

The Despiser may not be able to break the Arch in its own right, but he knows more than one way to break a man.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And perhaps Covenant is the white gold because of what it means to him. Somebody who buys a trinket of the metal would not necessarily consider it to be as much a part of them as Covenant does.

And as Joan does.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Last Chronicles”