LOTR : FOTR - Dining with Trolls.

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

LOTR : FOTR - Dining with Trolls.

Post by Landwaster »

upon watching Jacko's FOTR for the 3rd time (twice at cinema, 3rd with DVD), I noticed that the group stopped between Bree and Rivendell for a break (and meal?), and there seemed to be some odd rocks around, which reminded me of large people.

I suddenly gerried that these were the most likely the enstoned trolls that Bilbo met in 'the Hobbit'.

Now, did the book FOTR mention that they saw these trolls, or did Jacko just add it in for flavour?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

Those were indeed the trolls that Bilbo encountered in The Hobbit. Sam says as much in the extended version of the movie - something along the lines of "Look, Frodo - there's Mr. Bilbo's trolls!"

They did find those trolls in the book as well:
There stood the trolls: three large trolls. One was stooping, and the other two stood staring at him.

Strider walked forward unconcernedly. "Get up, old stone!" he said, and broke his stick upon the stooping troll.

Nothing happened. There was a gasp of astonishment from the hobbits, and then even Frodo laughed. "Well!" he said. "We are forgetting our family history! These must be the very three that were caught by Gandalf, quarrelling over the right way to cook thirteen dwarves and one hobbit."

..."You are forgetting not only your family history, but all you ever knew about trolls," said Strider. "It is broad daylight with a bright sun, and yet you come back trying to scare me with a tale of live trolls waiting for us in this glade! In any case you might have noticed that one of them has an old bird's nest behind his ear. That would be a most unusual ornament for a live troll!"

~FOTR, "Flight to the Ford"
~Foamy~
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

That's great, Foamfollower! Thanks for letting me know.

Not having seen the extended version, nor remembering any reference from the books, I find myself a little chuffed that I was able to spot them, and decipher what they were.

They were shown reasonably faintly, too, so I wonder whether they were meant to be a bit of an easter egg for viewers.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Ah, you must do yourself a favor and go rent the extended version. It's Awesome!! :D
Love as thou wilt.

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

So I've heard! Will do, when I can find it in-store.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”