Help A Gunslinger Out, O Those with Techie skills...

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Help A Gunslinger Out, O Those with Techie skills...

Post by A Gunslinger »

Last night I plugged my home PC back in after a number of hours (post thunder storms), and went to turn it on, upon which, the PC emitted a rather loud "POP", and the smell of burning plastic along with a nearly comical and cartoon-like puff of smoke. 8O

I am assuming my power pack is roasted for reasons that a merely coincidental relative to the storm... :x

Am I right?

Is the rest of my computer OK (hard drive loss will cause me to weep tears that would cause Bannor himself to feel sympathy)? How can I tell?

This is my work PC, and I have far less flexibility to do stuff on it. :Help:
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

None of that is good, AG. I suspect your hard drive is probably okay. I'm concerned about your motherboard, cpu and memory. Modems and ethernet cards don't like power surges either. If you have another pc available, you could try installing your hard drive there long enough to see if it still functions. Same with your video and sound card. Its possible that your power supply is the only thing that went bye bye but I'm never that fortunate so I'm guessing you have a real problem there. I work on business and home computers just about every day so I've seen quite a lot of these kinds of things.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Thanks TOM.

*sighs heavily, chin quivering*

ImageImage
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I regret that I don't have better news for you. If you lived nearby I'd would have been happy to take a look at your pc and possibly repair it free of charge. I do that for everyone else I know, why not a fellow watcher? Hopefully you will be able to identify and replace the damaged parts without too much expense. Good luck to you.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Thanks pal!

ImageImage

Return to “The Loresraat”