Who will survive A Song of Ice and Fire? [spoilers]

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Worm of Despite
Lord

Who will survive A Song of Ice and Fire? [spoilers]

Post by Worm of Despite »

Well, everybody keeps dying in those books. Good, bad, you name it. Martin doesn't seem to have any qualms with pulling a Hamlet.

Which leads to my question: who, of the character that have chapters, do you think will make it through to the very end?

If you ask me, I think only Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow will survive. Why? No reason, really, but, at the beginning of the first book, I clearly recall how they first met each other during that dinner at Winterfell. They had a lot in common and got along well and all. I dunno, just seems kind of poetic, if they were the only ones who got out alive. The first two major characters that really "met".

Arya is my third bet, but I think she might just go out like Syrio Forel (if he is indeed dead), though she won't be killing knights before she dies. More like an evil queen regent or two, maybe. ;)
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

What about Dany? How do you think she will die, then? I believe she will live, to rule at least a portion of Westeros. I'm not so sure, btw, if a Seven Kingdoms will exist by the end of the series. I also think Sansa Stark will live. Littlefinger will help her to become a politician and a leader...hopefully- as I've always liked Sansa.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well I hope Theon goes as quickly as possible--I quite like Stannis...for bizzare reasons...I hope he lasts. (and whatever is the name of the blacksmith boy, Robert's bastard) If Hodor is the last man standing I wouldn't be surprised! HODOR, HODOR!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

However much I like Tyrion, I still think he won't make it. Dany probably won't either, nor Cersei.
I'm unsure on the fates of both Arya and Sansa.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Here's my take. Nobody is safe at the end.

However, Danerys, Tyrion, Jon and Arya will survive until the final book. Take that to the bank.

Dany is my all-time favorite female character, any genre, any book.

Tyrion is Martin's favorite character.

Jon is the protagonist.

Arya is just a plucky survivor type.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Byrn
Giantfriend

Post by Byrn »

Arya is going to slaughter some of those Knights. Maybe Jaime aswell. She'll have atleast 6 years of solid training with a rapier. We all know the Rapier coupled with gunpowder was the downfall of full plate.
"What is the land to air speed ratio of a laden swallow?"
https://www.noiraqdraft.com/impact.php? ... a211109cb0
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Byrn, now you have me picturing Arya in Three Musketeers garb, wielding a rapier in one hand and a flintlock pistol in the other, screaming, "Death to the Mountain that Rides!" :roll:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm sure Dany and Jon Snow will survive. They seem destined to rule. Don't know about anyone else.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

A Song of Ice and Fire comes insanely close to the Covenenant series for my favorite fantasy series (after LOTR, of course). After killing Ned Stark in A Game of Thrones - such a likeable character - I think that all bets are off. I'd like to say that Jon Snow, Dany, and Tyrion will be the characters that will definitely make it to the end of the sixth book with their heads intact, but I could use the same reasons as to why I think they'll make it to support arguments as to why they won't. Martin has shown us that he writes fantasy that requires attention, not complacency.

Sadly, all bets are off. No one has a "Get out of Executioners Block" free card here.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Martin has already said that the ending will be bittersweet...

Judging by a great and bittersweet ending of his wonderful vampire novel Fevre Dream, all bets are off as far as any particular character surviving the end of the last book. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I've mentioned this in other threads, here and at the Hangar, that the more I read T. Williams' Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy the more similarities I see. A few, who have read both series, tell me that Martin was distinctly inspired by M, S &T. So now being 2/3rds the way through The Dragonbone Chair I'm almost convinced that the Others (somewhat analogous to the Norns) will kill everyone off in the end, with Jon, Stannis & Dany as the last bastion of resistance. Sam seems to have a special relationship with "possible " Others or "Other-hybrids" so lets not discount him-but if he's the last one doesn't that seem a bit Tolkienish and contrived... :? Hmmm...actually I don't have a clue...but this is fun, regardless... :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

No way will Stannis survive, dude. I don't think he and Dany can survive together, and Dany will almost certainly survive, imo.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Yeah, Stannis is a likely candidate to croak in A Feast for Crows. Pun intended. :roll:
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I've said it before, I think Stannis is born to be a martyr. I think he will recognize the inevitability of the Mother of Dragons and go out fighting, to make way for her. But I would guess he will last through FEAST OF CROWS and at least most of the following book.

God, I hope Martin lives so long.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

I have no idea at this point. Martin definitely shocked me with Robb's demise at the end of Storm of Swords. Just makes the story even more intense when you never know just who's going to get it next. 8O
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

It's funny, I really wanted Sansa to die early on, but now I just want her to grow up. 8O Maybe by the time I read A Storm of Swords I will actually like her. :P

Tyrion and Daenerys are my bets for most likely to survive so far, with Sansa next, then Bran and Arya and Jon, but not all four Starks. I'm picking one male and one female.

Btw, how many more books are there, including A Feast for Crows?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Supposed to be 3 more including CROWS. At the time I read the titles, I was hoping he would change them. I remember one, probably the last, was "Winter Is Coming".
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The original trilogy was to be 'A Game of Thrones', ' A Dance With Dragons' and 'The Winds of Winter' - the first book would end with the Red Wedding, the second would involve Dany landing in Westeros, and the third would finish it off. Note that the plan for the last two books has not yet changed.
When 'A Game of Thrones' turned out to be so long, he expanded what was originally to be the first book into three, adding A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. He also named a possible sixth book, A Time for Wolves, but this will only be used if the story is not finished by Winds of Winter. A Feast For Crows was added last.

So, atm the proposed series is:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
The Winds of Winter
And possibly A Time for Wolves.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

variol son wrote:It's funny, I really wanted Sansa to die early on, but now I just want her to grow up.
I totally agree. I kept waiting and waiting for Sansa to die, especially since Lady was killed. But she never did! And she's so irritating! I still think she'll die eventually, but I'm coming to believe it's possible that she might actually do something interesting first.

I think Jon and Arya will at least live to be reunited, though I don't know for how long, and I don't trust Martin to keep either one of them alive (they're my favorites). I want to say Dany will live too, but dragon-riding will undoubtedly be dangerous...I think that in order to live, she'll have to make an alliance, possibly with Jon or Arya...?

The more I think about it, the more I believe that just about everyone will die except the Late Lord Frey, who will live forever even after Arya cuts off his head. They'll put it in a jar and Melissandre will reanimate and it'll sit there leering and cackling at everyone going through the Twins for eternity.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Murrin wrote:The original trilogy was to be 'A Game of Thrones', ' A Dance With Dragons' and 'The Winds of Winter' - the first book would end with the Red Wedding, the second would involve Dany landing in Westeros, and the third would finish it off. Note that the plan for the last two books has not yet changed.
When 'A Game of Thrones' turned out to be so long, he expanded what was originally to be the first book into three, adding A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. He also named a possible sixth book, A Time for Wolves, but this will only be used if the story is not finished by Winds of Winter. A Feast For Crows was added last.

So, atm the proposed series is:
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
The Winds of Winter
And possibly A Time for Wolves.
Oh dear God! 8O And over here A Storm of Swords comes in two parts, each only slightly smaller than A Game of Thrones itself. :?

Having only just finished A Clash of Kings, I haven't reached Robb Stark's death yet, but I am assuming that Grey Wind dies as well. I always guessed that Sansa would die because Lady died, and the family is so intimately linked to their direwolves, as is seen in Rickon and Shaggdog's personalities, and in Bran's anger at Jojen spilling over into Summer. So Arya will have to survive long enough to find Nymeria again.

And on a side note, I think that Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna Stark and her rapist, Rhaegar Targaryen. We know that Lyanna made Eddard promise her stuff, but we never here what all of those promises were. I think that one was to care for the child but never let anyone know his true parentage. Besides, Robert would likely have killed Jon if he found out.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”