Who will survive A Song of Ice and Fire? [spoilers]

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Dragonlily wrote:
Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei. Valar morghulis.
VS, that's a very sinister tag line!!
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Here, VS, I got this from the Citadel for you:
Who were the different people in Meera's story?

"a curious lad who lived in the Neck" - Howland Reed.
"the king" - King Aerys II Targaryen
"the dragon prince" - Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.
"the White Swords" - Aerys's Kingsguard. Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. Ser Oswell Whent. Prince Lewyn Martell. Ser Jonothor Darry. Ser Barristan Selmy, the Bold.
"a new brother" - Ser Jaime Lannister.
"the storm lord" - Lord Robert Baratheon.
"the rose lord" - Lord Mace Tyrell.
"the great lion of the rock" - Lord Tywin Lannister.
"the daughter of the great castle" - Lord Whent's daughter.
"her famous uncle" - Ser Oswell Whent.
"the wife of the dragon prince" - Princess Elia Martell.
"the she-wolf" - Lyanna Stark.
"the wild wolf" - Brandon Stark.
"the quiet wolf" - Eddard Stark.
"the young pup" - Benjen Stark.
"moose" - House Hornwood
"bears" - House Mormont.
"mermen" - House Manderly.
"the knight of skulls and kisses" - Ser Richard Lonmouth.
"a maid with laughing purple eyes" - Ashara Dayne.
"a red snake" - Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper.
"the lord of griffins" - Lord Jon Connington.
"a pitchfork knight" - A Haigh.
"a porcupine" - A Blount.
"a knight with two towers on his surcoat" - A Frey.

Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

WOW! Thanks heaps duchess. :D You're the greatest. |G

Oh, and Joy, Don't you think my signiture would be a little more sinister like this?
Darth Revan, Murrin, Infelice, A Gunslinger. caamora and Lord Foul. Ur-Vile, Matrixman, birdandbear, dANdeLION. Valar morghulis
8O

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

No, because I wouldn't believe a word of it. :wink:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Really? Damn. :P

But back to ASOIAF. :D

This is when I suddenly starting liking Jaime Lannister;
Spoiler
Yet he heard himself whisper, "Let them do it, and go away inside." That was what he had done, when the Starks had died before him, Lord Rickard cooking in his armor while his son Brandon strangled himself trying to save him.
Sum sui generis
Vs

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And I am hoping that somewhere in A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold that he will...
Spoiler
Save Brienne from Roose Bolton and Vargo Hoat.
Fingers crossed. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

VS:
Spoiler
I think you will be very happy with the Jaime storyline for the rest of the book. :)
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Excellent. I may hate the Lannisters in general, but I love Tyrion and Jaime. Even then Cersei touches me at times. I felt so sorry for her when she told Eddard what Robert had said on their wedding night. :(

Speaking of liking people, my favourite Tully is the Blackfish (and Catelyn of course) and my favourite Stark is Arya, although Bran will catch up once he matures a little. Then again, Arya and Sansa show will be great with a few more years under their belts as well. It's their childishness that has always annoyed me in all three cases, and I think that given the circumstances thay are all outgrowing that.

Today's stab in the dark theory:
Spoiler
It will turn out that Bran can father children, and he will marry Meera Reed.
I need to find a new book store for the next few titles I order. I ordered something and then went on holiday and forgot to pick it up, so I will probably be blacklisted for a while. :?

Sum sui generis
Vs

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Does anyone else think that the
Spoiler
betrayal for gold occurred when Daenerys betrayed the Masters of the Unsullied, as she betrayed the agreed on price?

Just a theory.

I loved that chapter by the way.
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Interesting. I would have to say no, as the wau I understood it, Daenerys would suffer the betrayal, not perform it, so to speak. Good thought though. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I was under the same impression from my reading, that the betrayals will be things done to Dany, rather than things she will do to other people.
Love as thou wilt.

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

OMG!!!!!!

Spoiler
Robb is dead, Catelyn is dead, Jon is captive of the Watch? Madness!!!
Madness!!! Bran's powers seem to get cooler and cooler though. And Daenerys!!! She has the Unsullied, Barristan the Bold.... this book is too cool!

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Did you say you bought Game of Thrones the 5th of this month? Geez, you're a fast reader. Then again, reading GRRM’s books is so gripping an experience one tends to blaze through them.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Not to brag, but yes, a very fast reader.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

You might actually want to slow down a little, because Martin has filled his writing with tons of hints and foreshadowings of things to come later...if you don't read very carefully you might miss a lot of stuff.
Spoiler
For instance, the Red Wedding, where Robb met his fate, was very clearly foretold by the ramblings of Stannis's daughter's jester.
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I reread these as part of my waiting-for-Runes holding pattern, and started to pick up on some of these prophesies, but I must have missed three-quarters of them. Now I want to go back and reread them, but it's too soon! And I'll never get through them before Runes is ready! :x
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Melenkurion
Servant of the Land

Post by Melenkurion »

Just thought I'd mention that I met Lisa Tuttle (GRRM's friend and collaborator on Windhaven) at FantasyCon at the weekend. I asked her if she knew how George Martin was getting on with A Feast for Crows and she said that he'd joked, 'If I'm still writing it by the end of the year, will someone please put me out of my misery.' I think we're going to have to wait a bit longer for it yet. :(
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Yes, people who met with Martin at the recent WorldCon in Boston all came back saying it would probably be at least a year... :o
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Could you please send this to the new Martin forum in the Library dAN? Thanks. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Jon's Mother

Post by pitchwife »

I just finished reading the three books of the song of ice and fire a few days ago, and I was curious what my fellow readers had to say about them. They really draw you in don't they?

Reading through the thread I saw the discussion about Jon's parenthood, and I recall that this was discussed in ASOS.
I went back to the book and found this in Arya's pov where Ned, the squire of Lord Berric is talking with her:
"How do you know about Jon?"
"He is my milk brother."
"Brother?" Arya did not understand. "But you're from Dorne. How could you and Jon be blood?"
"Milk brothers. Not blood. My lady mother had no milk when I was little, so Wylla had to nurse me."
Arya was lost. "Who's Wylla?"
'Jon Snow's mother. He never told you? She's served us for years and years. Since before I was born."
"Jon never knew his mother. Not even her name." Arya gave Ned a wary look. "
So it seems that Jon's mother was from Dorne, some servant of the family Dayne, house of Starfell.

Who are these Daynes, I don't recall much aout them?

BTW Arya is one of my favorite characters, I hope she gets back together with Nymeria, although chances of that are slim, her going north and all.

- pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”