Dark Tower Power..

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dark Tower Power..

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Ok, after posting at this forum as well as Malazan and Shannara, I've finally broken down and purchased all the Dark Tower books. So much praise is given to this author adn this series, I figure, ok, might as well pick it up and see what the fuss is about. I've read quite a bit of Stephen King, Cujo, Gerald's Game, Chrstine, a lot of his short story anthologies, Needful Things, Salem's Lot, etc... I've always been a fan of his dark macabre horror, but I had yet to pick up his Dark Tower series.

So I went early this morning to the used book store, close friends as well, and she had the first 4 books in semi-decent trade paperback with illustrations all together, so I figure, pick it up, and see how it is. So, I'm going to be starting it, so I guess I should thank you, but lets see how I get intot he series. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Hile Sai Fiz!! Did you get the revised version of The Gunslinger?? Make sure it says "revised June 2003" in it. There are many differences between the two. King changed some names and events so the Gunslinger fit better with the rest of the story.

May you fair well on your journey with Roland to the Tower! Welcome to our ka-tet, Sai! :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Unfortunately thsi is a dated trade paperback and not the updated one, will it significantly change the story or the way I understand the plot.......Please say no, I spent a tiny bundle on getting all four of these trade paperbacks, its hard to find the books, they're always gone in the new book stores, and I found them all sitting all nice and semi-new good condition.....
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

If you have any q's feel free to send me personal mail!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Fiz, I would say the original Gunslinger versus the revised Gunslinger doesn't significantly change the plot. It's just the fine details of how characters speak, and the style which King managed to make match the later books better.

However, BOTH versions of the Gunslinger, in my humble opinion, are the weak point in the entire series. They are cobbled together short stories first written in the seventies for the Magazine of Science Fiction, and they lack the coherent vision and supporting characters that make Dark Tower such a rich and satisfying fantasy experience.

So I implore you to continue to Drawing of the Three, even if you don't care for Gunslinger. Youll be very happy you did.

If you like Gunslinger, well, in the immortal words of the Gilda Radner character on the Saturday Night Live Weekend Update sketch . . . "Never mind." :roll:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

This is the version that I picked up, in trade paperback for $4.00, so its a bit dated but I'm enjoying it already, Cheers.

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

I have a sixteen by twenty size of that superb Whelan artwork, in a nice frame. One of my prized possessions. It hangs on my office wall, and never fails to prompt a Stephen King discussion when I meet someone new. :Hail:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

I just picked up:

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, Volume 1
Robin Furth, Foreword by Stephen King

What are yoru thoughts on this, any of you other crazy fans out there pick up this book, I picked it up cuz I heard it'd help me better understand the story. Cheers.
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Can't say Fiz. There's another coming out as well written by Bev Vincent. It's called The Road to the DarkTower.

His website is selfnamed. He has a nice little forum community going there as well.

BTW I agree that the Gunslinger is the most awkward of the series. If you aren't drawn in by The Drawing of the Three then you never will be.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Thanks for that website, I haven't touched the concordance yet, but I will once I'm into the series more, still reading hte first book and everything is a surpise, as well as a bit confusing but I assume that the answers shall come to me in time as most books do eventually explain things. Cheers.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

FizbansTalking_Hat wrote:Thanks for that website, I haven't touched the concordance yet, but I will once I'm into the series more, still reading hte first book and everything is a surpise, as well as a bit confusing but I assume that the answers shall come to me in time as most books do eventually explain things. Cheers.

The Concordance will be good for the new reader, and is a good recap for those who have put the series down for a while and are coming back to it.

ImageImage
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

I just finished The Gunslinger Dark Tower Book I and wow, I am very impressed. I've read all of his other major works, and in a way I am glad that I have waited to get around to this one last, kind of a grand opus of his other works and a tribute in a way to get to his final masterpiece, haha.

Anyways, I've just started The Drawing of the Three, Dark Tower Book II and its funny, I remember picking this one up many many years ago when I was 12 in the public library back home in the town I grew up. I remember very vividly reading about a lobster like creature and a man with guns, but I put it down b/c it seemed weird and maybe I realized that it was the second in a series and no point in getting into it without having read the other, anyways, it was just something I noticed, can't wait to get into it, cheers.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Dad-a-chum Fiz!

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Fiz, you're getting close to one of my all-time favorite DT quotes. I think it sums up Roland's character and quest perfectly.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Drawing of the Three is dead-on tied with The Waste Lands for my favorite in the series. And what's behind door #1 is my undisputed favorite part of it all. You're in for such a treat Fiz! :D :D :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Go Fiz Go!!!! :D :D

Make sure you make yourself a tooterfish popkin before starting tho :lol:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Drawing of the Three, WasteLands, and Wolves of the Callah are pretty even for me. Song of Susannah is a notch lower and Wizard and Glass at the bottom.

Gunslinger is off in it's own corner. It's so mythic and can stand on it's own unlike the other books.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Old Darth wrote:Drawing of the Three, WasteLands, and Wolves of the Callah are pretty even for me. Song of Susannah is a notch lower and Wizard and Glass at the bottom.

Gunslinger is off in it's own corner. It's so mythic and can stand on it's own unlike the other books.

My Favorite is Wizard and Glass! What don't you like about it? For my part, I love the rich and multi-faceted tale that is woven within its pages. That and the reader gets to witness just how powerful a force Roland is at 15 or 16....much like Jake is now.

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Old Darth wrote:Drawing of the Three, WasteLands, and Wolves of the Callah are pretty even for me. Song of Susannah is a notch lower and Wizard and Glass at the bottom.

My Favorite is Wizard and Glass! What don't you like about it? For my part, I love the rich and multi-faceted tale that is woven within its pages. That and the reader gets to witness just how powerful a force Roland is at 15 or 16....much like Jake is now.
One other point:
Spoiler
I fear that like Roland, Jake will sacrifice his pet willingly to win his first true battle...hope I am wrong.

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Wizard and Glass is my fave, too. Two tales for the price of one. Roland, before and after. :P

Return to “Stephen King Forum”