STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

Post by aTOMiC »

What did we do with ourselves from 1969 to 1986? I was a kid through a lot of that so until about 1974 or so it didn’t impact on me all that much. I became engaged by Star Trek TOS with the help of a local UHF station and 79 syndicated episodes of genuine entertainment. Then 1979 came around and fresh on the heels of Star Wars we new trekoids were treated to a brand new Star Trek film adventure. It was very cool. (At least I thought so at the time.) The five films that followed only cemented Star Trek into our lives and Gene Roddenberry knew it. Time for Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was glued to my television that wonderful Sunday evening in 1987. In honor of Star Trek’s grand revival I celebrated with a new snack I had created which I continue to munch on to this day. Stick Pretzels and a tub of cream cheese! :D Anyway Star Trek was back and I couldn’t contain my joy. Encounter at Farpoint was a very interesting story. (Honestly just about anything would have gotten my seal of approval.) The new captain was French. (Seemed pretty doggone English to me.) I’ve always loved English actors. Okay, even English sounding actors. Patrick Stewart was very different than Shatner’s Kirk and I didn’t care. I instantly liked the guy the moment he opened his mouth. Frakes’ Riker seemed like a capable first. I didn’t much care for Sirtis’ Troi. She seemed on the edge of tears the whole show. Dr. Crusher was no McCoy but she was likeable in a hot red head sort of way. Data was interesting in the wide-eyed and ignorant Spock replacement role. Worf the token alien was an interesting touch. It all came across pretty well. (Except for that know it all kid whose name escapes me – Wesley – and I won’t mention it here even if I do remember.) For every moment of the 7 seasons of STNG I sat with my butt firmly planted in a seat of one type or another, enjoying the ride. There were times in the beginning that were a little rough but the show really created a place for itself far beyond its origins and paved the way for all of the new flavors to come. IMHO. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Agreed.

Picard was the perfect anitdote or compliment to Kirk. The thinker vs. the Gunslinger. While NG has some flaws (very PC in a snobby kind of way...I mean does EVERYBODY in the 21st century have to listen to classical, go to plays, and drink wine?...this is why I like DS9 so mush...very visceral), it was a great show. Some stories were great. I loved the borg from the get-go. Really enjoyed the development of Riker, Worf, and of course Data.

Wesley.... let's not mention him further.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I actually think Next Generation might have been the best of the Treks. Picard is the single best character of them all. And Data almost accomplished what I would have thought was impossible - a non-human character with the nuances and fascination of Spock. And of course, the special effects were light-years ahead of the original series.

However, no show in any genre has managed to capture the incredible rapport of Kirk/Spock/McCoy . . . they could say volumes to each other and the audicne with nothing but a nod or gesture. So I give the edge to the original series because of that.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
dANdeLION
Lord

Re: STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

Post by dANdeLION »

TOM C wrote:It all came across pretty well. (Except for that know it all kid whose name escapes me – Wesley – and I won’t mention it here even if I do remember.)
Wil Wheaton.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Re: STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

Post by aTOMiC »

dANdeLION wrote:
TOM C wrote:It all came across pretty well. (Except for that know it all kid whose name escapes me – Wesley – and I won’t mention it here even if I do remember.)
Wil Wheaton.
Now you've gone and done it! You mentioned him. Why did you do that? Now someone will feel inclined to discuss him. Thanks, Bub. :D

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

If you could touch anyone's head in the world, you know it'd be Picard, a little spit and shine and rub rub rub..........haha, Whose #1 now huh Bizzzatch!
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

TNG has some solid characters - Picard, Worf, Data, and to a lessor degree Geordi. The rest were a waste of space - except for Barclay perhaps.

TNG had the best actor in the ST universe in Patrick Stewart. On the other hand the dynamics between him and Riker - by a very limited Jonathan Frakes - were quite dull. The two worked together, after a fashion, professionally. There was respect between the two characters but no real friendship. This may mirror reality more but makes for stunted TV drama. From an acting point of view I never saw any chemistry between the two.

The women were a waste and I found Deanna Troi irritating.

The only real acting sparks were with Picard and Data and Worf.

TOS had the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic which was one of the best in television history.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yeah, I'd agree with that. TNG had plenty of strong points, but it did lack that chemistry between characters.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Indeed, Picard, Data & Worf, were the best storylines, any episodes that dealth mainly with those characters was always interesting, Riker & Geordi & Troi, just found boring at times, I mean, they all helped, obviously there had to be some chemistry but, still I found that Pic, Dat, & Worf, what really made TNG what is was. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Come on - get off Geordi! Who can forget the scintilating(sp?) and thought provoking episode where he creates the female scientist (forget her name) who designed part of the Enterprise in the holodeck & proceeds to stalk her & fall in love.....how sweet......

Untill she shows up for real!!!!!

Maybe Lavar should stick with reading rainbow......

Picard & Data are definitely the best characters, but who could forget the doctor who filled in for Bev Crusher for a season...or was it 2....what was her name again??? She was a terrible character in the series.
"You're afraid of yourself."
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Doctor Pulaski - Diana Muldaur. And she was also on a couple of TOS episodes.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I hated Pulaski - she was always so prejudiced against Data.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I hated Pulaski - she was always so prejudiced against Data.
You reminded me of the debate Data had with Pulaski. She refered to him as Data instead of Day-ta. Supposedly she felt some need to treat him like a talking toaster and he felt the need to correct her. When she asked "What's the difference?" he said "One is my name the other is not."

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

That was a great line, Tom. Thanks for the reminder.

Was there ever a reason given for why Data couldn't use contractions? I don't recall.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Was there ever a reason given for why Data couldn't use contractions? I don't recall.
The reason is absolutely, insanely, horrifyingly bad writing. What an extraordinarily stupid thing that was.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I loved TNG, but I agree with many of your observations. The sad thing was that characters like La Forge, Crusher and Troi could have been so much more. They jusy never really got a chance. :(

One other thing I disliked was the lack of guts the writers seemed to have. Troi should never have married Riker, she should have married Worf. Their relationship offered so much more in the way of storyline, yet the writers opted instead for the easy out.

Then again, maybe that's just me. i never wanted Ross and Rachel to get together either. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The Worf-Jadzia Dax relationship and subsequent marriage effectively ruined any true meaning that his relationship with Troi could have ever had. It was almost as if his attitude was "any non-Klingon woman will do."
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Yeah. I just think that they put so much time into him and Troi, and then chose the easy out.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just saw the one with the duplicate Riker from the transporter mishap of 8 years earlier. Really interesting concept. I was always waiting to see him again though. Wouldn't you think????

In one of the books, maybe Spock Must Die, McCoy finally reveals the reason he doesn't like transporters. Seems he's worried that, if we have souls, it isn't transported along with the body. You suppose the duplicate Riker has a soul?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist - there's a DS9 episode with Thomas Riker - I'll try to find out the title for you.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”