WGW - Chapter 3 - The Path to Pain

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

dlbpharmd wrote:The manifestation of Seadreamer by the Soulbiter was the sum of the Quest's feelings of guilt and remorse over his life and death. Honninscrave believed he was damned by the manner of his death, and the Soulbiter showed Seadreamer in this light.
This makes sense to me, as does what Matrixman said. I wonder if maybe Covenant got free first because he's so used to feeling guilty all the time, that a little extra couldn't do as much harm? Linden carries a lot of guilt, too, but it's guilt from her world of origin, not for things she's done in The Land, so maybe it doesn't count as much. But I don't know for sure...
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Great job, Wayfriend, you are a wonderful addition to the Watch. :) 8)

What exactly is the Soul Biter? It seems to be alive...or at least perhaps sentient in some way...seems to read the hearts/minds of the people who become ensnared in it and prepares the illusions that bite their souls...is it a spirit? a power? Does it have some sort of physical form?

What is it trying to do? Does it feed off of its victims' fear and despair in some way when they experience the delusions? :?
Love as thou wilt.

ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Re: WGW - Chapter 3 - The Path to Pain

Post by ur-bane »

Wayfriend wrote:
With Honninscrave’s plight draped about him, Covenant takes a tour of the dromond, a rather grim tour, one which visits each and every other concern which weighs on him, Honninscrave already accounted for.

· Cail, unwontedly alone.

· The crippled Giantship.

· The opposing question marks of Vain and Findail.

· The First, long denied constructive action.

· Her husband Pitchwife, who worries less about the quest and more about the questors.

· Linden, set adrift by Covenant’s betrayal.

· Mistweave, a Giant contemplating a Haruchai’s shoes.
I think you hit the nail on the head here, Wayfriend.
...each and every other concern...
But I think there is more to it than that. Each and every concern of his current companions.
Soon, the Search arrives in the Soulbiter. Here, more concerns arise. The concerns of the Search for their lost. And that is why I think that Nassic, Marid and Memla are not manifested in the illusion. The Soulbiter directed its trance at the Search. Those other deaths took place before the company met the Search in the Sarangrave. Hence, nothing before Coercri was depicted in the Soulbiter.
Myste wrote: But I don't think the Soulbiter was meant only for Covenant. The marooned sailors, the fight with the Sandgorgon, Seadreamer's plea--they're all designed to further gouge the wounds every member of the Search carries in their heart of hearts, to expose their weaknesses to them, and then convince them that those weaknesses cannot be overcome.
I love this. I was always confident that the Soulbiter was directed at the entire company, not just Covenant......but the comparison with Gibbon I completely overlooked. HOwever, the Soulbiter was much more subtle in its approach than Gibbon.

As far as the marooned sailors, I always felt that this, at least, was directed at Covenant. Ceer, Hergrom, Seadreamer, they would pain everybody because they were known and loved by all members of the Search, and the Search bore witness to their end.
But the marooned sailors would not affect everyone in that way. This entire chapter, to me, and as Wayfriend pointed out, is a reminder to the reader of what pains the people in the setting. Therefore the "taking stock" of the dromond's situation. Part of that reminder is why Covenant is among these great people...and that is because he is trying to save the Land. To me, the marooned sailors (marooned being the operative word here) represent those in the land that Covenant has left behind. Those that are dying to feed the Banefire while he is away. The people and the Land which he turned his back on, although that was not his intent.
Had success been met at the One Tree, and a new staff forged, this entire chapter would not have the same power that it does.

Wayfriend, that was a most intriguing dissection. It forces the reader to re-read the chapter, giving it more import than felt during the previous readings. And also, opening doors to another great discussion at the Watch. A job well done. I am honored to have read your words.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Great insight about the marooned sailors, ur-bane. I hadn't thought of that before. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Day after day, the shrill whine of the rigging and the groans of the stone became louder, more distressed. The sea looked like fluid ice, and Starfare's Gem was dragged forward against ever-increasing resistance. Yet the Giantship was stubborn. Its masts flexed and shivered, but did not shatter. Grinding its teeth against the gale, Starfare's Gem endured.

When the change came, it took everyone by surprise. Rest had restored the combative smolder to Linden's eyes, and she had been fretting for days against the maddening pressure of the blast and the constriction of the galley; but even she did not see what was coming. And the Giants had no warning at all.

At one moment, Starfare's Gem was riding the howl of the wind through the embittered heart of a cloud-dark night. At the next, the dromond pitched forward like a destrier with locked forelegs; and the gale was gone. The suddenness of the silence staggered the vessel like a detonation. Thee was no sound except the faint clink and crash of ice falling from the slack sails. Linden jerked her percipince from side to side, probing the ship, then she muttered inastonishment, "We've stopped. Just like that."

For an instant, no one moved. Then Mistweave strode to the forward door, kicked it out of its frost. Cold and pure as absolute winter came flowing inward; but it had no wind behind it. The air across the Giantship was still.

Shouts sprang across the decks. In spite of his inward silence, Covenant followed Mistweave and Linden out into the night.

The clouds were gone: the dark was as clear and sharp as a knife-edge. Spots of light marked out the Giantship as the crew lit more lanterns. Near the eastern horizon stood the moon, yellow and doleful. It was nearly full, but appeared to shed no illumination, cast no reflection onto the black and secret face of the water. The stars littered the sky in every direction, all their portents lost. Linden muttered to herself, "What in hell--?" But she seemed unable to complete the question.

Honninscrave and Pitchwife approached from opposite ends of the ship. When the First joined them, Pitchwife said with unconvincing nonchalance, "It appears that we are here."
I think the moon being unable to cast a reflection on the water is a hint that what is about to be seen is all mirage. I think the Soulbiter having some malevolent will of its own casts further light upon why turiya Raver wanted to use the Illearth Stone to possess the Sea after slaughtering the Unhomed in TIW. The Soulbiter is no friendly entity, but it does not serve Lord Foul.

Return to “2nd Chronicles”