WGW - Chapter Four - Sea of Ice

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

[Syl]
Unfettered One

WGW - Chapter Four - Sea of Ice

Post by [Syl] »

Sure, have the guy named Frost do this chapter... And Sorry if this loses momentum halfway through. My son decided to turn my computer off at about that point. Anyway...

We start the chapter with Starfare's Gem fighting the sea and the winds. If there was ever any doubt that the dromond is a living being, Donaldson lays them to waste with sentences like, "The dromond lay so massively in the viscid sea that for a moment it seemed unable to move," and "But then Starfare's Gem gathered its legs under it, thrust forward, and the pressure eased. As the clouds came boiling overhead, the Giantship took hold of itself and began to run." The last coming right after Dawngreeter splits. Again, the abuse that Donaldson heaps on his living characters is not spared from Starfare's Gem.

Soon, however, the ship is out of the peril of the Soulbiter and we begin to look at the peril Linden is in.
There is a great contrast between the careful ministrations of Seasauce and Covenant's curse-laden desperation. One cups her gently and gives her diamondraught; the other chafes her wrists and slaps her around a bit. Linden only aspirates the diamondraught, nearly sending Covenant into a venom-sparked white gold rage. The only thing the anger does, though, is give Covenant the strength to "thrust
Pitchwife away as if the Giant were a child." Instead he uses good old-fashioned artificial respiration. Never mind that it's never as physically easy as TV leads you to believe, he's also trying to hold in his own destructive fire.

Shortly afterward, they put her in a giant stewpot. Covenant finally has an outlet for the power burning inside him and uses it to heat the pot. He walks up to the already kindled pot and "With white passion he girdled the pot. Then he narrowed his mind until nothing else impinged upon it and let the fire flow."

"In that way, he turned his back on silence and numbness." At first this line just drew my eye, and I wanted to quote it because it was just so potent. Then I had to ask myself why. It has to be more than the fact that it's just sitting on the page all by itself. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I say this is Covenant's answer to leprosy and all that it entails. Silence and numbness are the way of his life. Perhaps the wreckless use of power to save the ones you love isn't the best idea, but it's choosing real life. Life with the possibility of pain and death commensurate with the possibility of hope and love.

Of course, such power has a strong hold on the mind, and Covenant nearly makes Linden stew. Pitchwife tells him enough, though, and Linden is lifted out of the pot, dripping and still a little sickly looking but conscious. In instances like these, one has to wonder if it's more than just the heat that brought her around. How deep did it go, and was it something like a mini-caamora at the Grieve?

"Covenant turned away and hid his face against Pitchwife's malformed chest until his relief eased enough to be borne."

Linden has to know what had happened, what the apparitions meant. I suppose the reader does, too. In a bit of a contrast to the first Chronicles, Covenant explains that it was all illusion, even if it doesn't mean that they had no power to harm. They would be damned if they had tried to help, and they would have damned their souls if they had not tried. The only answer, in this case, is to break the illusion. Before passing out, Linden confides, "'It was like watching my parents' Her eyes closed. 'If they were as brave as I wanted them to be' Her voice trailed toward silence. 'If I let myself love them.'" If relief is pain, and understanding is pain, what lies beyond that? Where can these two find peace?

The crew of the giantship begin to pick up their spirits and go back about their work. "They had survived the Soulbiter. Valiantly, they went back to their battle with the bitter grue of the sea." Can anyone verify that the word in hard copy is actually grue?

Covenant remains in the galley for a while to watch over Linden, not trusting the profundity of her sleep. If we had not yet gleaned the importance of her to him, it is stated directly in his thoughts. "She was the only woman he knew who understood his illness and still accepted him. Already, her stubborn commitment to him - and to the Land - had proved itself stronger than his despair."

After walking out into the snow and sharing a meaningful glance with the First, he briefly goes to sleep, having a nightmare of being tortured back in Kemper's Pitch. He is awakened by the impact of the Giantship colliding with something. With a quick glance to Linden to make sure she's safe, he stumbled out into the ruin of the main deck. Among the debris of the broken spars and masts lie four Giants. The first three are dead, but the last one still lives. Covenant calls for Linden and they try to lift the broken mast off the injured Giant. When they fail, Covenant prepares to blast it away, but is stopped by Honniscrave who needs the mast whole if the dromond is to sail again. By the time that's sorted out, they're able to get the wreckage off. Galewrath has no way of assessing the Giant's internal injuries, but Linden arrives in time. At first she mumbles out that if the bones are set properly, she should be fine, but then she notices the Giant's heart has been punctured by a broken rib. The First has lost too many of the crew, so demands that Linden heal her, something Linden has no way of doing without an operating table and several liters of Giantish O+.

Well, no way but one. Without so much as a 'May I?' Linden grabs Covenant's hand, and with it, grabs his power over the White Gold. It is an outright violation of who Covenant is, plain and inexorable. Worse than this violation is the perception of Covenant that she deserves the ring more. She can heal with it. The Giant is saved, Linden passes out again, and Covenant makes his "preterite" way back to the galley.

While Covenant and the others recover in the galley, the Giants outside work to repair the ship. Though the wreckage is cleared away and the hull is patched, "nothing the crew could do changed the essential fact; the dromond was stuck and crippled." Even if the ship could sail, it couldn't go anywhere. It's surrounded by a field of ice, the ship having hit it in the night.

The Land and its few inhabitants are dying, the ship is stuck, and Covenant has to face the fact that he has failed everything he has tried so far. Because of this, he is determined to show Foul and even Linden and the others that he has the determination and the right to continue. Once again, he prepares to blast his way out with the White Gold. When he tells the others his plan, their reaction is doubt and outrage, Linden even accusing him of "looking for an excuse to throw power around" to which Covenant gives his classic reply "Do you think I like being this dangerous?"

The others look chagrined, but tell him they have another plan. They are considering abandoning the ship and making their way to The Grieve over the ice, a distance of about 240 to 300 miles by Honniscrave's admittedly fuzzy reckoning. It becomes clear (after its revealed that Honniscrave has some resentment towards Covenant for his willingness to use the White Gold to destroy the ice but not to give his brother release) that this means either leaving most of the crew to die stranded on the ship or leaving the ship and becoming the new Unhomed. It's decided to spend some time making some repairs to the ship before leaving in order that the crew can live off their stores until the ice thaws. When Honniscrave tells Covenant that two or three days are needed, Covenant tells him to try to do it in one. Pitchwife's response is, "Stone and Sea!... It is a small matter. What need have I of an entire day?"

The ship is being repaired, Pitchwife wiving the stone here and there. Sleds are being built. After a night of saving the ship and a full day of putting up a new mast, a very weary and slightly drunk Pitchwife says to Covenant, "Giantfriend, I thank you that you accorded to me this opportunity to be of service to the Giantship."

As Covenant sits in the galley besides a slumbering Linden Avery, he hears the Giants singing. At first the songs are glad and celebratory, but as Covenant falls asleep, they turn to grieving for their imminent departure. It is at this time that Covenant first imagines a fire strong enough to give him Caamora, but the idea slips away upon waking.

In the morning, Covenant rouses himself just in time to leave with everybody else who is going ashore. The First gives a speech to the crewmembers (Donaldson's word, not mine, though since they're technically not men as well as being of both genders, probably apt) staying behind.
"Now has the time of parting come upon us once more." Her voice rang crisply across the frigid air. "The hazard is great, for no longer stands Cable Seadreamer's Earth-Sight at the helm of the Search. Yet do we pursue our sworn purpose-and for that reason I do not fear. We are mortal, and the visage of failure is heinous to us. But we are not required to succeed. It is required of us only that we hold fast in every gale and let come what may. On all the seas of the world, there are none better for this work than you who remain with Starfare's Gem. How then should I be afraid?

This only do I charge you: when the ice uncloses, come after us. Sail to that littoral which you know, to Seareach and brave Coercri, The Grieve. If there we fail to meet you or send word, then the Search falls to you. Do what you must- and do not fear. While one valiant heart yet defends the Earth, evil can never triumph utterly."
As Vain and Findail join their party, they depart.

I would just like to say that the voyages in the One Tree seem drastically different than the one in White Gold Wielder. Where the first was more Conrad or Swift, the second is definately more like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I tried to find some passages to compare, but of course, found nothing that could really directly correlate. The themes of despair, survival, despite, and penace both seem to run throughout, of course.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Syl said:
"In that way, he turned his back on silence and numbness." At first this line just drew my eye, and I wanted to quote it because it was just so potent. Then I had to ask myself why. It has to be more than the fact that it's just sitting on the page all by itself. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I say this is Covenant's answer to leprosy and all that it entails. Silence and numbness are the way of his life. Perhaps the wreckless use of power to save the ones you love isn't the best idea, but it's choosing real life. Life with the possibility of pain and death commensurate with the possibility of hope and love.
Oh, yes... :D

Well done, Syl! 8)
Love as thou wilt.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:Can anyone verify that the word in hard copy is actually grue?
Yes, it's grue in my copy. Good summary, Syl!

I feel for Honninscrave in this chapter, maybe more so than in any previous chapter. There's the unhealable hurt of Seadreamer's death eroding him; the physical wounds of Starfare's Gem eroding his confidence in his command; and the bitterness of having to leave the dromond and her crew behind for the sake of the Search.

Grimmand Honninscrave is in my view the most psychologically complex and compelling Giant in all the Chronicles. A great tragic character. The murder of the Unhomed was a tragedy, yes; but to see up close a Giant in emotional turmoil like Honninscrave...that makes it personal.

What especially moved me was the scene on deck where Honninscrave stops Covenant from using wild magic to destroy the spar that's laying on top of the dying Giant:
"I must have this spar whole!" roared the Master. His beard jutted fury and aggrievement along his jaw. "Starfare's Gem cannot endure any sea with but one mast!" The plight of his ship consumed him. "If Pitchwife can mend this shaft by any amount, then I must have a spar to hold sail! He cannot remake the Giantship entire!"
Honninscrave might as well have said: My soul is already a wreck because my brother is dead, and you refused to give him a caamora. And now, to rub my hurt deeper, you want to use the very fire you denied my brother...to reduce the ship itself to a wreck??
Caer Sylvanus wrote:Without so much as a 'May I?' Linden grabs Covenant's hand, and with it, grabs his power over the White Gold. It is an outright violation of who Covenant is, plain and inexorable. Worse than this violation is the perception of Covenant that she deserves the ring more. She can heal with it.
I've come to realize what an important moment that is. It's the first time Linden has ever combined her percipience with a magic power to heal injury. What a potent combo! The puzzle of the Sun-Sage that baffled the Elohim is coming together. Back in TWL, Linden realized her health-sense had the capacity to heal. In TOT, she got a taste of the wild magic in the Cavern of the One Tree. Now, at this moment in WGW, Linden at last empowers her health-sense with the wild magic to become a conscious instrument of healing. Sun-Sage and ring-wielder are a step closer to merging into one, as hinted at by the Elohim.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You did some great stuff with a good chapter, C.S.
Caer Sylvanus wrote:"In that way, he turned his back on silence and numbness." At first this line just drew my eye, and I wanted to quote it because it was just so potent.
Mine as well. Here's how I take this line: the silence and the numbness are specifically referring to Covenant's state before the dead of the Soulbiter: the Soulbiter's spell. The choice of words echoes back: to Covenant's overwhelming despair in the opening chapters; to the alteration made upon him by the Elohim; then finally back to his life as a leper. Which sort of ties them altogether, expressing how in fighting against the one, he's emotionally fighting against the consequences of all of them.

----------
BTW, I'm thinking about starting a thread on Donaldson's writing style, specifically his signature elements, which would include examples such as this statement. If anyone would be interested, send me a PM; enough, and I may do it.
----------
Caer Sylvanus wrote:It is an outright violation of who Covenant is, plain and inexorable.
Matrixman wrote:Honninscrave might as well have said: My soul is already a wreck because my brother is dead, and you refused to give him a caamora. And now, to rub my hurt deeper, you want to use the very fire you denied my brother...to reduce the ship itself to a wreck??

Did you ever notice when you write these things how you end up emulating Donaldsons style, perhaps unconsciously? :0)

(BTW, I'm not sure if you used "inexorable" to mean "with no chance to talk her out of it" (which is what it means, and it would be interesting that you chose that word), or if you meant something like "unalterable" ?)

More when I have more time ...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Well done, Syl.
Worse than this violation is the perception of Covenant that she deserves the ring more. She can heal with it.
Exactly. What did Elena say to Covenant about Linden in Andelain? (paraphrasing)
Care for her, beloved, so that in the end she may heal us all.
Honninscrave might as well have said: My soul is already a wreck because my brother is dead, and you refused to give him a caamora. And now, to rub my hurt deeper, you want to use the very fire you denied my brother...to reduce the ship itself to a wreck??
Yes! Excellent!
Grimmand Honninscrave is in my view the most psychologically complex and compelling Giant in all the Chronicles. A great tragic character. The murder of the Unhomed was a tragedy, yes; but to see up close a Giant in emotional turmoil like Honninscrave...that makes it personal.
I couldn't agree more. Foamfollower certainly mourned the loss of his people, but that loss was 7 years in the past and time heals all wounds. Honninscraves's pain is raw despair and intense grief.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Wayfriend wrote:Did you ever notice when you write these things how you end up emulating Donaldsons style, perhaps unconsciously?
I think it must be hard not to have Donaldson's style of language rub off on anyone who has lived with these books for a long time. I just become self-conscious when someone points it out. :oops: Er, isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really needed 'em to recharge my dissectioning. Again, sorry for the 2nd half (if you can't see it there, trust me when I say you could've seen it before I had to start over).

Donaldson has always rubbed off on me, and I really don't mind, especially with something like the dissection. It happens to me with everybody I read, though, most memorably with Crane. It even happens when I'm talking to people with their accents.

I didn't mean inexorable in the sense of not being able to talk Linden out of it, more in a general fate-like sense of the word. The violation itself being unyielding and unavoidable. Applying it to Linden would be interesting, but no, not what I meant and not fitting with the sentence structure.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You're welcome. Dissecters are a sparse breed these days. So I try to show up for the game, even if it's for 10 minutes at work.
C.S. wrote:It even happens when I'm talking to people with their accents.
Yes! Me too!
C.S. wrote:I didn't mean inexorable in the sense of not being able to talk Linden out of it, more in a general fate-like sense of the word.
FYI, BTW, and JFF.

Main Entry: in·ex·o·ra·ble
Pronunciation: (")i-'neks-r&-b&l, -'nek-s&-, -'neg-z&-r&-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin inexorabilis, from in- + exorabilis pliant, from exorare to prevail upon, from ex- + orare to speak -- more at ORATION
: not to be persuaded or moved by entreaty : RELENTLESS

Like "anile", it's one of those words that you think you know what it means from context, but it doesn't mean what you think it means.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ah, but... the map is not the territory, nor the definition the word. I wasn't trying to be literal, though a mistake in meaning is my fault for trying to change the line "plain and simple" to something a little less cliched.

The usage I intended was something more along the lines of these examples and not like Donaldson's usage in Lord Foul's Bane.
Waking slumber held him. It was a wilderland that he wandered unaware; he was in danger without knowing it. Lassitude was the first step in an inexorable logic, the law of leprosy.
In any event, I could've used a different word, perhaps ineluctable, but I am inexorable in my insistence that it still works, mostly as I intended it. ;)

Hopefully, I haven't made anybody too nauseous with my arguments...
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

Well --- I just checked dictionary.com, and their quote from Webster's Revised Unabridged has:
a. [L. inexorabilis: cf. F. inexorable. See In- not, and Exorable, Adore.] Not to be persuaded or moved by entreaty or prayer; firm; determined; unyielding; unchangeable; inflexible; relentless; as, an inexorable prince or tyrant; an inexorable judge. ``Inexorable equality of laws.'' --Gibbon. ``Death's inexorable doom.'' --Dryden.

So it's got a couple of meanings.

Oh, and as far as time healing all wounds. I think Foamfollower's were too deep to be healed by time. Honninscrave's may have been raw, but Foamfollower had had the time to channel his grief through powerful channels, like water coursing through a river instead of a flood. It's like expressing your grief through poetry (and what else can you call his description of Coercri?) instead of through a mere cry of despair.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Okay, first of all, I only mentioned this because obscure words are part of the Donaldson experience, not because I was out to correct anyone. And I probably would not have mentioned it except I was wondering what you meant.

I'm starting to hate myself for side-barring your dissection.

That said .. :wink:

Interesting comparing ineluctable to inexorable. One means that struggling won't help, the other that pleading won't. Almost the same thing, but one with a physical connotation, the other a verbal one. One, that you cannot overcome something, the other, that you cannot change it. (So something ineluctable may not be inexorable, and versa vice.)

Back to the dissection ...

So, anyway, I was wondering if you were trying to say that Linden was beyond appeal when she used Covenant's ring. Because, when I wondered this, I realized that this was so. The somnolence which the Soulbiter somehow inflicted on her did indeed remove from her the ability to listen to Covenant's appeal, or even be aware of it.

And that's a critical bit. Which I tried to hint at at the end of the previous chapter. Linden probably would not have tried to make use of the White Magic if she was okay and fine. But in a state where she can perceive only the most basic stimulii - probably she felt the pain of the injured giants and not much else. And she could not see Covenant's reaction, she could not hear his response, she was not even aware enough to have concern.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

No, no. All in good fun. Like I said, I probably should have mentioned Linden's state, considering she starts out near death, upgrades to comatose, somnambulistic while using Covenant, is later accusatory towards him, and at the end of the chapter there is a rift between them. All of it is agony for Covenant as his need for her is intense, his own inner turmoil and perhaps self-loathing being almost too much to bear.
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Syl cited this quote in regards to Linden's reaction to the Soulbiter,
Linden confides, "'It was like watching my parents' Her eyes closed. 'If they were as brave as I wanted them to be' Her voice trailed toward silence. 'If I let myself love them.'"
Then Wayfriend said,
So, anyway, I was wondering if you were trying to say that Linden was beyond appeal when she used Covenant's ring. Because, when I wondered this, I realized that this was so. The somnolence which the Soulbiter somehow inflicted on her did indeed remove from her the ability to listen to Covenant's appeal, or even be aware of it.
Along with Covenant's "betrayal", though maybe not on such an intense scale, doesn't her action seem somewhat of a flashback to her intended intended "mercy killing" of Ceer? She seems to be evolving in relationship to her past-but, perhaps, any memory of her parents AND experiencing the hallucination of Ceer alive triggers a "beyond appeal" state-such as she had after absorbing the Elohim's "silence". :?
Last edited by danlo on Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Matrixman wrote:
Caer Sylvanus wrote:Without so much as a 'May I?' Linden grabs Covenant's hand, and with it, grabs his power over the White Gold. It is an outright violation of who Covenant is, plain and inexorable. Worse than this violation is the perception of Covenant that she deserves the ring more. She can heal with it.
I've come to realize what an important moment that is. It's the first time Linden has ever combined her percipience with a magic power to heal injury. What a potent combo! The puzzle of the Sun-Sage that baffled the Elohim is coming together. Back in TWL, Linden realized her health-sense had the capacity to heal. In TOT, she got a taste of the wild magic in the Cavern of the One Tree. Now, at this moment in WGW, Linden at last empowers her health-sense with the wild magic to become a conscious instrument of healing. Sun-Sage and ring-wielder are a step closer to merging into one, as hinted at by the Elohim.
This also makes Linden's internal struggle so much harder, therefore making her eventual victory sweeter.

Sure, she has an inner blackness that hungers for power, but she has no power, so it doesn't really matter. Her possession of Covenant here does two things: it gives her inner blackness access to the power it craves, and it attempts to justify this desire by doing something good, namely healing someone.

So, when Linden finally resists that black desire for power, it is all the more meaningful for her as well as for us.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Re: WGW - Chapter Four - Sea of Ice

Post by Tulizar »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:I would just like to say that the voyages in the One Tree seem drastically different than the one in White Gold Wielder. Where the first was more Conrad or Swift, the second is definately more like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I tried to find some passages to compare, but of course, found nothing that could really directly correlate. The themes of despair, survival, despite, and penace both seem to run throughout, of course.
Nice analogy. Both the Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the journey through the sea of ice are filled with dark omens and a narrative that gives the reader a sense of loss. Every move made by Linden, TC and the giants seem to have some significance. I'm left with the feeling that every little action will ultimately lead to some sort of tragic end.

Just thought I'd add this one from the Rime :) :
And through the drifts and snowy clifts
Did send a dismal sheen:
Nor shapes of men nor beasts we ken---
The ice was all between.

The ice was here, the ice was there,
The ice was all around:
It cracked and growled, and roared and howled,
Like noises in a swound!
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Matrixman wrote:
Caer Sylvanus wrote:Without so much as a 'May I?' Linden grabs Covenant's hand, and with it, grabs his power over the White Gold ...
I've come to realize what an important moment that is ...
I would have to say that the two times that the ring is used in this chapter are loaded with significance. (And can anyone now think that "White Gold Wielder" refers only to Covenant?)

First, Covenant: who among us did not feel a moment of happiness for poor old Tom, who finally finally found a way to use his power for the simple purpose of helping someone he cares about. It only took five-and-a-half books ... Of course, it has to come tinged with regret - it pushes Honninscrave a bit closer to the edge. But, for a moment, there's just a bit of soul-assuage.

And then along comes Linden, Bam! Is it important that we now see that in Linden's hands the wild magic can do everything that it cannot in Covenant's? Is it important that we now know that Linden can take the ring just as soon as she is able to justify it to herself? Yes, all around. But it's not just what happened, it's when it happened.

Just when Covenant gets his head up, he takes a shot to the temple. The person whom he loves the most, the person whom he has just healed, becomes the person who takes the one thing he has left. Demonstrates that it belongs to her more than to him. And then returns it without thought, as if it doesn't matter because he couldn't prevent her from having it back.

Now the betrayal is balanced all around. The two around whom the struggle against Lord Foul revolves are might as well be beating each other about the head and shoulders with two-by-fours for all the good they do to each other.

(I do serve some purpose around here!<grin>-d)
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Re: WGW - Chapter Four - Sea of Ice

Post by Myste »

Great dissection, Syl!
Caer Sylvanus wrote:Can anyone verify that the word in hard copy is actually grue?
My copy says "grue" too. According to the AHD:

gruesome adj. Causing horror and repugnance; frightful and shocking [Obsolete grue, to shudder (from Middle English gruen)].

(And of course, if you've ever played Zork, you've probably been eaten by one.)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.

Return to “2nd Chronicles”