mind-melds

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

mind-melds

Post by Fist and Faith »

How many mind-melds have we seen in literature/fantasy/movies/etc? The five that come to my mind right away are the <I>Haruchai</I>, the Lords, <I>Star Trek's</I> Borg, <I>Star Trek's</I> Vulcans, and the Starslammers (which is a fantastic comic book).

The Borg and the Starslammers have the most intense melds. They lose <B>all</B> individuality, becoming one mind. (The difference between them is that the Starslammers come out of the meld, which they call the <I>silvermind</I>, when the need ends. Usually a battle.)

Also, both will sacrifice a part of the group to save the rest. I wonder if Ayn Rand's view on sacrifice actually would be discarded if we could meld, as it is in these fictional examples. But then, these two groups sacrifice in different situations, so maybe they would need to be discussed individually. The Borg sacrifice at the drop of a hat. The Starslammers only sacrificed when <I>not</I> sacrificing would lead to much greater losses. At least we only see them sacrificing in this case.

The Lords seem to retain some individuality. Mhoram was able to withhold his knowledge of the Ritual of Descecration, and the other Lords knew he was withholding something. But he <I>could</I> have allowed a complete melding, which, perhaps, would have been like the Borg and Slammers. Although the Lords never melded during any activity, like during a battle. I guess their meld didn't allow them to act as one mind, only to share as one mind.

I'm not aware of anybody holding back at all during a Vulcan meld, so in that way they seem like the Borg and Slammers. But they can be more active than we ever saw the Lords, as when Sarek and Picard melded so that Sarek could do his diplomatic duty.

The <I>Haruchai</I> seem to have the meld that keeps the most individuality. Basically, they seem to be on a conference call, having actual conversations. And, of course, they have no problem with sacrificing individuals for the whole.

Any thoughts? Or am I getting into mind-numbing detail about a silly topic? :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Don't 4get the Amnion! They "enabled" their own weird "hive-mentality" mind-meld!! |W :)
fall far and well Pilots!
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Bear in mind that although I have not read it, Theodore Sturgeon's More Than Human is a book about a "gestalt" being. I would think that this would qualify as a gestalt being.

There is a short reference in LOTR as well:
"For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro."
This could be a type of mind-meld. Definitedly a kind of telepathy if you make that distinction.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

There's a couple of very good old books written by Marvin Kaye and Parke Godwin that kind of straddle the science fiction/fantasy line called The Masters of Solitude and Wintermind, that dealt with a human subspecies that had a sort of mind meld thing going. They always had a sense of each other at all times...
Love as thou wilt.

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I'm going to get into all kinds of trouble for my spelling here but the Taelons (sp?) in "Earth - Final Conflict" have the "Commonality"

For some reason - I still watch the show

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”