"The Hobbit" Movie News!

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm not sure if this is Hobbit Movie news ...

But if you put some facts together: Jackson is real busy doing Halo ... The Hobbit Move is announced ... suddenly Jackson's Halo project is dropped ...

Bad News. HALO a No-Go... aka Why are the studios retarded?
As was previously confirmed, we deeply regret that both Universal and Fox did not choose to move forward with financing the Halo film under the original terms of the agreement. At this time Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, along with their partner, Microsoft, have mutually agreed to postpone making a feature film based on the Halo video game universe until we can fulfill the promise we made to millions of Halo fans throughout the world that we would settle for no less than bringing a first class film to the big screen.
[/url]
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Seems like it is related. Guess the hobbit might be next after "The Lovely Bones".
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Smaug on the big screen - can't wait! I named one of my cats Smaug. :D
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Sounds like there may very well be a Hobbit movie. But not with Peter Jackson:
There, but not back again for Lord of the Rings director

Dan Glaister in Los Angeles
Tuesday November 21, 2006
The Guardian

Wanted: feature film director to start immediately. Must have affinity with small dwarfish beings, taste for epic landscape, and ability to generate more than $300m (£158m) at the box office. Pointy ears not necessary. Beard optional.
Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the multiple-Oscar winning box office leviathan, has revealed that he will not be making the next film based on the JRR Tolkien series, The Hobbit, after receiving a telephone call from a Hollywood studio executive.

In a letter to a Tolkien website, Jackson and his producing and writing partner Fran Walsh said that they had received a call from an executive at New Line, the studio behind the three films, telling them that their services would not be required on either The Hobbit or a planned prequel to the original trilogy.
"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another film-maker for both projects," the film-makers wrote in a letter to Theonering.net. "This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancour. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects."

Jackson and Walsh ended their letter by paraphrasing the subtitle to The Hobbit: "We got to go there - but not back again."

The development brings to an end one of the most successful partnerships in film history, and will prompt unbridled speculation about the new director's identity. Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy has generated almost $3bn at the box office worldwide since the release of the first instalment, the Fellowship of the Ring, almost five years ago. The final part of the trilogy, The Return of the King, garnered just over $1.1bn at the box office, making it the second most lucrative film on record.

The film-makers said that New Line had decided to look for another director because of a financial dispute between the two parties. Jackson's production company sued New Line earlier this year, arguing that it had not received its share of the income from the films. "We have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved," the film-makers wrote. New Line, however, has a "limited time option" on the film rights to The Hobbit "and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director".

Noting that just a few months ago MGM, which also owns part of the rights to The Hobbit, had publicly stated that Jackson would be making the film, the letter said that there was even a meeting arranged to discuss the project.

"We've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film," the film-makers wrote.

New Line refused to comment.
film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1952973,00.html
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Bad News. I can't imagine what another director might do with the Hobbit. Yuk.

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This is a note from PJ to theonering.net:
[u][b]TheOneRing.net[/b][/u] wrote:Dear One Ringers,

As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.

You may also be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film contracts include right-to-audit clauses.

However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.

We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Line settling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.

A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.

Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.

Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.

We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.

This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.

We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to seeing the film on the big screen.

Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.

We got to go there - but not back again ...
Variety followed up with:
[u][b]Variety.com[/b][/u] wrote:Inside Move: It's hard to be a 'Hobbit'
New Line, MGM, Jackson tussle over pic

Who's the boss of "The Hobbit"?

This question has been growing more heated in recent weeks as the principal parties involved in the film -- New Line, MGM and director Peter Jackson -- have been duking it out, each staking their claim as a key player in "The Hobbit" along with a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

Behind the jostling is the fact that while New Line owns the rights to produce the pic, MGM owns the distribution rights and Jackson is the creative force behind the franchise's staggering success.

In the most recent flurry of events, Peter Jackson and producing partner Fran Walsh posted a letter Sunday night on the "LOTR" fan site Theonering.net saying that New Line told them last week that it was going to make "The Hobbit" without their services.

The letter also reiterated in detail Jackson's stance on "The Hobbit" -- that he is not willing to have a serious conversation about directing the film until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line over what he considers improper accounting practices over "LOTR" profits is settled.

New Line's given reason for proceeding sans Jackson is that the studio's rights to the pic are about to expire, and seeing as the lawsuit with Jackson isn't moving ahead, well, the message was that New Line is.

All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.

An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

Though New Line no-commented inquiries about Jackson's statement, the mini-major's move is a loud statement to both MGM and Jackson that the studio is in the driver's seat when it comes to "The Hobbit."

Jackson noted in his letter that New Line exec Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the "Rings" trilogy, explained that New Line is ditching Jackson because it has a "limited time option" on the film rights obtained from Saul Zaentz.

There are already online revolts from fans who can't fathom a "Hobbit" directed by anyone else, and Jackson makes clear in his letter that he's not budging on the issue of the lawsuit or "The Hobbit."
[edit to say]This is playing hardball. And it isn't over.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Friends,

IMO, Jackson would not have posted a letter to TheOneRing.net unless he was trying to raise the power of the fan-base and weild it like a magic ring. Which means, to me, he is trying to make this movie.

This article raises the possibility that it will be New Line who is out of the picture, not Jackson.

Here's some more news:
[u][b]Aint It Cool News[/b][/u] wrote:Not So Fast New Line - The Zaentz says THE HOBBIT, "...will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson"!!!!

From IMDB

As Lord of the Rings fans mounted a protest following word that New Line had dropped Peter Jackson from consideration as director of The Hobbit and another Lord of the Rings prequel, producer Saul Zaentz has given assurances that Jackson will indeed direct the two films. A German website, Elbenwald.de, posted an interview with Zaentz, who acquired the rights to the works of the late Rings writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, in 1976 (the Saul Zaentz Company owns Tolkien Enterprises), in which Zaentz says, "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us, in contrast, he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation." (The preceding quotation is a translation that appeared on TheHobbit-Movie.com from the German interview posted on Elbenwald.de.)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

If ture...that is very very cool. I was afraid of waking up one morning to read that New Line had hired Chris Columbus or some other horror to direct.

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

On the humor side, I found these very interesting and funny.

Link. (Keep clicking Next on the bottom.)

Samples:

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I've got too much time on my hands, so i looked at them all. Some of them are genious. such as the Gollum-Shelob love child.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

I think every LOTR fan should boycott future New Line releases until a) they give PJ what they owe him, and b) they instate him as the ONLY director of choice for any Tolkien film...

still, they reckon New Line's option on filming "the Hobbit" is running out...and when it reverts back to Zaentz's company, they're practically gonna shove it in PJ's face!
A Gunslinger wrote:If ture...that is very very cool. I was afraid of waking up one morning to read that New Line had hired Chris Columbus or some other horror to direct.
Don Mancini? :twisted:
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I remain hopeful that New Line will do the right thing. Given the sucess of the LotR...you'd think they'd wise up quickly.

ImageImage
Elfgirl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Elfgirl »

A Gunslinger wrote:I remain hopeful that New Line will do the right thing. Given the sucess of the LotR...you'd think they'd wise up quickly.
Greed kinda obliterates good sense or fair play. :roll:

Studio execs are dumber than a box of hammers.
ImageImageImage
"Right away would be good. Right now would be better"
-- Nick Succorso

OK, so what's the speed of dark?- Larry the Cable Guy
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Elfgirl wrote:
A Gunslinger wrote:I remain hopeful that New Line will do the right thing. Given the sucess of the LotR...you'd think they'd wise up quickly.
Greed kinda obliterates good sense or fair play. :roll:

Studio execs are dumber than a box of hammers.
...and sometimes half as useful.

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm not sure that this is a positive development.
The LA Times, and many other sources, wrote wrote:Sam Raimi considering 'The Hobbit'
In the wake of Peter Jackson's rift with the studio, the "Spidey" director may be next in line to take over fhe franchise.

Good-bye Spidey! Hello Bilbo?

In a move that would have ramifications for several major multi-nationals, and millions of fans, "Spider-Man" maestro Sam Raimi has been telling associates, as well as his corporate masters at Sony, that he is thinking of directing "The Hobbit," the prequel to J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, "The Lord of the Rings." At least two top-level insiders – who declined to be named -- have heard the words out of the director's mouth.

A year ago, such a swap of franchises would have been unthinkable, given that Peter Jackson co-wrote and directed the Oscar-winning "Rings" trilogy, but that was before the slugfest erupted between the once-rotund director and New Line honcho Bob Shaye. [link]
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I'd prefer Jackson, if for no other reason that continuity, but if his work on Spidey is indicative of his potential ofr the Hobbit...It might be good indeed.

ImageImage
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I just hope whoever directs it doesn't have the Elves don't sing that poem, "Tra, la, la lally, down in the valley. . . " :D

Seriously, this movie would be easy for any director to mess up. They shouldn't follow the book too closely. They most definitely should rewrite the trolls arguing amongst themselves. That dialogue is just silly. And they should try to flesh out the Dwarves' characters. You can't have an entire movie with Thorin being the grumpy one, and Bombur being the fat one, and all the others differentiated merely by the colors of their cloaks. They've got to have distinct personalities to carry a 2 hour flick. (Even Disney gave his Dwarves more distinct personalities!) Given the travesty of Jackson's onscreen Gimli, I don't have much faith in his ability to handle 13 Dwarves in one movie. I saw no hint of their nobility, solemn pride, and ancient wisdom.

Maybe this movie should never be made. The changes necessary are going to be much greater than the LOTR movies. And that will just disappoint the true fans.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

MGM raising money to fund UA

BOSTON (Reuters) - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. is raising hundreds of millions of dollars to produce sequels to some of its most popular films, such as The Terminator and The Pink Panther, at a time Wall Street investors are eager to pay for movie making in Hollywood, the company's chairman said.

"We are putting together a fund to finance our franchise movies -- James Bond, The Pink Panther, The Terminator and The Hobbit," MGM Chairman Harry Sloan told reporters, explaining the financing may be raised in more than one single fund. [link]
The Hobbit still in play? Or just a lure to attract investment? Only time will, I hope, tell.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Sam Raimi responds to the rumors:
EW.com wrote:Raimi’s name has been floated in connection with The Hobbit ever since a very public dustup between Peter Jackson and New Line chairman Bob Shaye left the Lord of the Rings prequel without a director. Raimi went on the record for the first time about his potential involvement in the project during an exclusive interview with EW’s Steve Daly for the magazine’s Summer Preview issue, on stands Friday: “Peter Jackson might be the best filmmaker on the planet right now. But, um, I don’t know what’s going to happen next for me right now. First and foremost, those are Peter Jackson and Bob Shaye’s films. If Peter didn’t want to do it, and Bob wanted me to do it—and they were both ok with me picking up the reigns—that would be great. I love the book. It’s maybe a more kid-friendly story than the others.”
But Raimi is looking very busy with Spidey 4 and ...
The Hollywoord Reporter wrote:Columbia Pictures has pre-emptively picked up a high-concept action-adventure from writers Damian Shannon and Mark Swift for Sam Raimi and Josh Donen to produce through their Buckaroo Entertainment banner.

The project, whose title is being kept under lock and key, is described as an all-ages fantasy movie with franchise potential that the studio is hoping to fast track. It centers on a cynical guy from New York who is forced to go to a land untouched by modern civilization to save a village and a princess from fiendish fairy tale creatures.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Jackson is back on board (as producer), and TWO Hobbit movies should be released in 2010 and 2011 . . . finishing up ten years after the first LOTR movie!!

www.savannahnow.com/node/419261
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”