The Stand

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

god...the biggest travesty in casting EVER...freaking gary sinese as stu redmond...just a tragic travesty. i can't STAND sinese. blech. stu redmond was a great character and SOOOOO deserved a better actory to play him.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sinese is a decent actor, but looks nothing at all like Stu.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

sinise sucks...mr. naked light bulb sears his soul. :roll:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Have you seen him in Of Mice And Men? He definately doesn't suck.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:Have you seen him in Of Mice And Men? He definately doesn't suck.

OH MY GOD. A WORSE TRAVESTY THAN THE STAND!!!! oh please don't make me vomit.

Cail...please check out the made for tv version starring Robert Blake as George and Randy Quaid as Lenny. makes sinise and malkovitch look like the amatures they are.
(god WHY does everyone think the only way to characterize a mentally challenged man is to affect a speech impediment??? :roll: )
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I hated the Blake version.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:We're going to have to agree to disagree. I hated the Blake version.

oh no...how COULD you!!! the last shot...Lenny and George on the bank of the stream...it's a long panning shot with George telling Lenny about the rabbits and Lenny says "i can see it George, i can see it!"
just an extraordinary long shot...beautifully done. and Blake as the philosophical George??? i loved it.
i so sorry you didn't.
why don't you try it again...how long's it been since you saw it?
Last edited by lucimay on Thu May 18, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Jeez, it's been forever. I'll try it again with an open mind.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:Jeez, it's been forever. I'll try it again with an open mind.
good man. i'm telling you, that last long panning shot is just GUT wrenching. and Quaid is soooo much better than Malkovich (how do you spell that freakin name, i dunno).

i'll try to locate it too and watch it as well and then we can discuss. :biggrin:

anybody else wanna watch of mice and men with us?
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

We need a new forum.... :D
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

or a new thread...hey...that version that i'm talking about...it was made for tv...and you're the tv mod. co-inkydink? i don't think so. 8) :lol:

not much on it out there tho...might have trouble finding it Cail. :(

www.imdb.com/title/tt0082838/

This TV movie adaptation of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men was a labor of love for producer-star Robert Blake, who utilized the screenplay from the 1939 Hollywood version as his guide--a screenplay personally presented to Blake by the original film's director, Lewis Milestone. Blake and Randy Quaid play George and Lennie, a pair of itinerant workers who share a dream of saving up enough money for their own ranch. George is smart, resourceful and slight-statured; Lennie has the mind of a child and the strength of Hercules. The two lifelong friends are hired on as hands at a large Salinas Valley spread. Their "best laid schemes" for a place of their own dissolve into a tragic denouement, sparked by the boss' pugnacious son Curley (Ted Neeley) and Curley's bored, faithless wife Mae (Cassie Yates). The 1939 Of Mice and Men is regarded as a masterpiece, though it suffers from the censorship restrictions of the time; curiously, this 1981 film, adapted for television by E. Nick Alexander, makes no attempt to restore the "chancy" elements that had been excised from the earlier film. Of Mice and Men was first telecast on November 29, 1981; a third filmization of the Steinbeck work, starring Gary Sinise and John Malkovich, was released theatrically in 1993. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

I hadn't seen Sinise until I saw him in The Stand.

He was not what I was expecting for Stu, but that is the standard I expect from him since when I see him elsewhere. I thought he managed the role wonderfully.

I'm not happy that he's on CSI.

I've really gotta pick this series up on DVD.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Agreed. the real tragedy was the portrayal of Larry Underwood by Adam Storke. Larry was one of the most dynamic and complex characters in the novel, and was played in a very linear fashion.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I liked the guy who played Tom. the guy from coach.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

M-O-O-N that spells, sitcom actor.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

M-O-O-N that spells entertaining b movie.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Once upon a re-read , this morning as a matter of fact that Ive read the Stand more times than any other book Ive ever read.... re-read whatever! More times than Ive re-read The Lord of the Rings, or the chronicles. Im sure this is somehow significant, Im just not sure why.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

My problem with the tv miniseries was not so much the actors playing the majority of the roles (although I think Molly Ringwald was miscast), but the stupid devily makeup stupidity of stupid Flagg. The actor playing Flagg was fine when he was acting as a person (it didn't fit the version of Flagg in my head AT ALL, but hey...I'm pretty flexible), but the instant he had contacts in and his head got all meaty and such, I was definitely drawn out of it. I do think Trashcan Man didn't work so well onscreen either, but that's just one of those things that happen when you translate book (especially a Stephen King book) to a visual medium.
And as much as I like Corin Nemec (Parker Lewis, dude!), the dippy zits for Harold and the way he looked at the beginning was pretty much like Halloween Nerd than Harold. I guess what I'm saying is fire the makeup crew. But I also didn't think Corin Nemec fit the role especially well, as once he goes through his transformation, I had a hard time buying it from this actor.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Huh, I thought Nemec did a good job as Harold, but I agree that Flagg was all wrong.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Never even made it through the first half of the miniseries. Flagg was terrible. So bad, that all I can remember about it is how bad he was.

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”