The Stand

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

The Stand

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Just finished Dark Tower III - The Wastelands and I feel like taking a bit of a break from the Dark Tower series, but not from Stephen, I decided to go for The Stand

Haven't read it, read every other Stephen King work except for Stand and Dark Tower, series so I figure, now is the time to get through it, cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

A lot of fans consider it King's finest work. I would certainly put it in the top three. Lots of joy - lots of tragedy. King takes no prisoners in this one.

Enjoy!!!
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I believe you find that Larry Underwood is a great character...at least he is the most dynamic. Great changes....he is also the character your Gunslinger most identifes with in ANY King novel.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Try to find the updated version which is longer.

Definitely one of his best books with some great characters - among them Nick Andros and Tom Cullen; m - o - o - n: that spells moon, yes sir!
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Nick Andros is probably my favorite character in The Stand.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

M-O-O-N spells drainage easement
Last edited by aTOMiC on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Tom, your post did a fly-by on me. Please explain to a fellow Trek fan who is apparently suffering from a glitch in his comprehension circuits today. :?: 8O
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Tom, your post did a fly-by on me. Please explain to a fellow Trek fan who is apparently suffering from a glitch in his comprehension circuits today. :?: 8O
Since I didn't actually read the Stand but cheated by watching and then buying the television mini series, there may be a few differences in content between the two versions. The Stand mini series features a man who is mentally challenged (Tom Cullen I think) and says on more than one occasion "M-O-O-N. that spells *insert a word that is far more complex than moon and is spelled completely differently*" My wife and I sometimes joke about that when we are feeling a bit silly. "M-O-O-N that spells laundry detergent".
That is the source for my comment so if the book doesn't have a character like that just ignore me. :D

p.s. I'm in the Land Surveying business and since I often work on survey's that feature easements of one kind or another the term "drainage easement" is never far from my mind, or my eyes as it were, thus that polysyllabic phrase in the place of “moon”.

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Tom Cullen actually plays a large role in both the mini-series and the novel, and yes, in both versions the letters of the word moon, which is the only word he can spell, are used to spell all words.

It was drainage easement that threw me. I was looking for something about moon and drainage easement - perhaps the slang term "mooning" someone, and the images I was getting in my fevered imagination don't bear repeating.

:P
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Roland of Gilead wrote:T
It was drainage easement that threw me. I was looking for something about moon and drainage easement - perhaps the slang term "mooning" someone, and the images I was getting in my fevered imagination don't bear repeating.

I don't know how I have worked in this business for 17 years and it never occured to me about the similarities between the human digestive system and the word drainage easement. I'm STILL LAUGHING! I cant wait to tell dANdeLION about that tomorrow morning. Well done!!!! :haha:

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

TOM C wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:T

I don't know how I have worked in this business for 17 years and it never occured to me about the similarities between the human digestive system and the word drainage easement. I'm STILL LAUGHING! I cant wait to tell dANdeLION about that tomorrow morning. Well done!!!! :haha:

A surveyor, eh? I am in the land/access management & bike/ped planning issues up in WI. Heh.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

So there I was, between spy novels, looking for something to read....I have a library in my house; a 12-foot section of wall in my office that is nothing but bookshelves, and I sat there.

And I pondered.

And I thought about what it was that I wanted to read.

And The Beast was staring me in the face.

I haven't read it since the Expanded Version came out in the early '90s

So I picked it up.....

Holy sh*t, I forgot just how good this bood is. I'm about 100 pages deep in it, and my Lord it's good.

Two words....Magnum Opus. Even moreso than the DT saga I think.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:So there I was, between spy novels, looking for something to read....I have a library in my house; a 12-foot section of wall in my office that is nothing but bookshelves, and I sat there.

And I pondered.

And I thought about what it was that I wanted to read.

And The Beast was staring me in the face.

I haven't read it since the Expanded Version came out in the early '90s

So I picked it up.....

Holy sh*t, I forgot just how good this bood is. I'm about 100 pages deep in it, and my Lord it's good.

Two words....Magnum Opus. Even moreso than the DT saga I think.
i absolutely agree. my favorite, no doubt about it. :clap:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

with Salem's Lot my favorite. the Judge is my favorite character. and what happens, oh my. tears in my eyes while reading it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

hmmmmmm. my favorite Stand character? pft.

Larry "Baby Can You Dig Your Man" Underwood, of course. 8)

you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

great song btw. are there complete lyrics?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I wondered why you were referencing The Stand n your sig LuciMay. :D

Definitley one of my favourite King novels, especially the unabridged edition.

Unlike some others, I've never been opposed to some strictly unnecessary verbiage. ;)

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nahh, I'm a Stu Redman man myself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Is that the guy who played Stu in the movie/mini-series/whatever?

Not the way I pictured him at all.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Me either.

I first read the book in the late '70s, so I picture everyone with late '70s hair and late '70s clothes. Larry Underwood in paticular was jarring in the miniseries. I'd pictured him as rail-thin with a white-man's afro and a scraggly beard.

I pictured everyone in their mid-late 30s too.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”