What is it you believe?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Furls Fire
Lord

What is it you believe?

Post by Furls Fire »

Hail all!! :D

As one of the new mods in this forum I thought this would be an excellent topic for people to just come in and express what their beliefs are. Are you Christain, Jewish, Buddist, Taoist, Spiritualist, Atheist, Agnostic, or undecided/confused...ect. This topic is the place to express it. All beliefs should be respected (I have no worries about this, but thought I would say that anyway).

As for me, I think everyone here knows what I believe. But, just to be clear...I believe in a loving, forgiving, all knowing, all present God. I also believe in His Son, Jesus Christ. I feel His presence everywhere I go and in everything I do. He fills my heart with peace and I live by His teachings.

I think that pretty much sums it up for me :)

Now, it's your turn. :hearts:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I would best describe myself as an apostolic christian. Nathan has expressed some of his family's views, which are Jehovah's Witnesses, and these beliefs are very similar to my own. I believe that the Bible holds the One Truth, and that progressive revalation is the work of Satan. Catholicism, to me, is truly a pagan religion, claiming it's traditions from ancient pagan rituals, and most types of "christianity" cleave to these traditions as well. I believe Jesus was the Son of God Almighty, not God himself, and I despise Trinity teachings. The Holy Spirit is not an entity unto itself, only a manifestation of God's Will. And finally, we do not go to heaven, we sleep until the Apocolypse, at which time we are reborn into immortality or destroyed for our unrepentant sins.

Oh, and I do not believe we are born with "immortal souls", only spirit energy which God can refine to immortality if He so wishes.

I could go on and on, but I have no wish to bore you.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

First off, I'd like to point out the belief-o-matic. According to it, I'm a Universal Unitarian. But since just about anybody could be one, I suppose I should elaborate.

I call myself a zen solipsist. The solipsist bit because zen isn't exactly a religion, and the zen bit because I'm not exactly a solipsist.

I believe the only way to understand the universe is to understand yourself, and vice versa.

I believe in paradox in everything.

I believe in absolute free will and absolute determinism. Not because they conflict, but because they are both equal expressions of the nature of reality; either one works, but not both.

I believe that there is no god, that the universe is god, that as a part of the universe we all are god, and that I am the only god whose existence I can rationalize.

I believe that Jesus was just a man, but I believe he was mankind's savior and even died for my sins. (truly explaining this would take a lot of time, and for most people, would be considered a stretch... perhaps even blasphemous. You are Jesus, and so am I.)

I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation, but I do believe that the being who resides in me will reside in everyone and everything else or already has. I don't consider this being separate from myself.

I know I've told this story elsewhere and maybe even here, but I'll tell it again. I was raised Mormon. I found myself unable to believe in God as I was taught around the age of 16. I started looking into a lot of other religions, eastern philosophy - zen, buddhism, and some taoism - the only things that really struck a cord with me. I got heavily into Zen, probably just because it sounded so cool (where is the hole when the cheese is gone?). I gathered a loose set of quasi-theological beliefs I called Frostism. It wasn't anything I really believed, but at least it was something. Believing myself an atheist was deeply disturbing for me.

A couple years later, while studying in Monterey at the Defense Language Institute, a girl I knew jokingly asked me why I was so weird. I told her it would take some time to give her an answer thorough enough to truly explain me. So later that night I'm sitting in my barracks room, trying to write it down on paper.

My first answer was that I wasn't weird. It's just that other people's point of view was too far removed from my own to be able to make sense of it. The problem with that answer was that it gave me too much credit, placed my view above others.

So I had to argue the other side. If all other points of view see me as weird, what difference does my own point of view make? It might as well not exist. I am weird.

I couldn't find a way to make both ideas work, and I couldn't say one of them was wrong. That's when it hit me. I solved my own koan and had, what I thought at the time, an enlightenment (I've come to realize it was an awakening). Everything was clear to me. I understood my own nature, that of the universe, and my place within it. I knew how it all works and what it all meant. Everything I had read on zen suddenly made sense in the most simple way possible. It wasn't cryptic for the sake of being cryptic, but because every thing in the universe contradicted itself because nothing is independant. The truth is so simple that most of us look past it without even seeing it.

Imagine the universe is a tennis ball. If you cut all the pieces up, it would still be a tennis ball. Each piece is still made of tennis ball stuff, so tennis-ballness runs through everything, so everything is the same, even if all the pieces aren't alike.

So take the tennis ball and stick a needle in it. The point at which the needle intersects the surface of the ball can be considered your unique point of view. For all intents and purposes, the tennis ball looks at least subtly different from every possible point of view (infinite points of view, infinite universes).

So if the tennis ball moves what happens to the point with the needle through it? It has to move. I consider this an explanation of determinism.

The opposite is true, though, isn't it? If the needle moves, the whole ball has to move with it. The effects of one person's actions, no matter how minute, change the universe. Absolute free will.

The only viewpoint I can comprehend is my own (though I can reasonably guess at others), and living with the philosphy that nothing I do matters didn't seem like a very good way of going through life. So for simplicity's sake, I chose the path of the solipsist. You can understand yourself to know the universe, or you can understand the universe to know yourself. They both work because in the end, they're the same thing.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

What a fantastic posts, Syl! I loved reading that!
My belief is this:
I grew up religious, praying every night and fully believing in a Christian God. However, I also grew up loving science, so eventually the logic of science drew me and I became agnostic.
I think the only logical way to approach religion is to seek proof of God's existence. Science can provide this. If one does not take this stance then how can one stand with their religion in the light of so many other religions? All followers believe their religion is truth, so why do people think their's is right over all others. Science can solve this debate.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Following Syl's lead, I took a looksee at the Belief-O-Matic, and it said I'm 100% Secular Humanist, with Unitarian Universalism coming in at 98%.

I choose to perceive that there is no God, no afterlife, no soul. Gloomy, yes? Well, I suppose I'm the kind of person who hates to get my hopes up. I feel if I accept the worse-case scenario, then I can move on with life. I've tried everything else, and only total disbelief has brought me relief, given me release.

The only thing I can know with all absolute certainty is that I exist, and the most pointless thing I can think of is agonizing over what's beyond it. Only death will answer that. But who am I to say that the answer will come to me? Or that I will even be conscious when the answer comes?
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:First off, I'd like to point out the belief-o-matic. According to it, ......
WOW - the belief-o-matic is WAY COOL.

It says I'm a Neo-Pagan!! Funny, I haven't danced naked in the moonlight in ages! :lol: :lol:

I do believe in a supreme "spirit" and I believe it/he/she is personally involved with the universe. I do believe in the indestructability of our soul (conservation of matter and energy type thing.) And I can envision reincarnation tho I don't necessarily view it in the hindu "structure" type process. I have a "problem" with most institutional religions as they usually take a "believe my way or burn in hell" approach. I think we've seen enough pervision, hypocrasy, and wars/destruction in the name of a specific religion or ritual to support my distaste for such structures. What's easier to belive? That the rules - even promoted by hypocrites and perverts - are "Gods" words. Or that failable individuals (perhaps even the honestly faithful) are using religious rituals to "control" their "flock".

As to behaivor, I believe if it feels good do it !!! HOWEVER, do NO harm and help whenever and where ever you can!!! I do believe what goes around comes around.

Lastly, as it related to "Satan" or coalesced (sp?) evil. I would accept that my believe in a benevolent universal spirit of good allows for its/his/her opposite to exist as well. The yin-and-yang with everything.

Interesting topic!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Secular Humanism and Unitarian Universalism - 100%
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Love

LoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLove

:D
Last edited by Fist and Faith on Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game.
It's easy.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

What Fist said.

Interestingly enough I did the Beliefomatic as well...curious to see where my beliefs slot in. Ive never labelled or categorised my belief system before as it has been something that has grown in me as I continue through this life . The result was .....Mahayana Buddhism (100%). Something I find extremely interesting because Ive never been one to study religions or belief systems as I feel each persons true spirituality is their own and I respect others peoples beliefs as being their own.

But what I truly believe is, that above all, the most important thing to believe in is love.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

:lol: Fist, have you considered shortening your eloquent lines?? I fear their position at the core of the universe has made them a little large for a mere screen. :)
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

This Belief-O-Matic is very interesting. The wonders of the internet never cease. :)

My score: Secular Humanism & Unitarian Universalism 100%

But most curious was the 3rd closest match: Liberal Quakers 87%

You can take that to mean what you will. I guess the Belief-O-Matic program works in mysterious ways. :)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Matrixman wrote:But most curious was the 3rd closest match: Liberal Quakers 87%
That was my third closest match, too! I think almost same percent, as well.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think the program works using a statistical technique known as Discriminant Analysis. That sort of thing is bound to produce little anomalies.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

At the moment I don't have the time or energy to go into my paradoxical beliefs, such as they are, but here's my Belief-O-Matic result:

Unitarian Universalism (100%)
Secular Humanism (84%)
Liberal Quakers (81%)

In fourth place, with 80%, was Christian Science - strange, considering I'm no fan of either Christianity or Science :?
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Weird.
1. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (100%)
2. New Thought (95%)
3. Scientology (88%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (82%)

Since I definitely believe in medical intervention (or I wouldn't be walking today) the assignment of Christian Science is way off base.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

CovenantJr wrote:In fourth place, with 80%, was Christian Science - strange, considering I'm no fan of either Christianity or Science :?
Heh. Reminds me of TLF's sig. "White chocolate is neither white nor chocolate. Discuss."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Wow, this thread took off :) It's wonderful to see so many people share their beliefs and philosophies. What a great place this is...so many free thinkers voicing what is in their hearts. :)

And yes,

love is all you need

And I believe...God is Love. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Yes, first and foremost, God is Love.

My beliefs have been fine-tuned over the last few years, mostly through deep study of the Bible... The Torah is an incredible reference tool, once you know how to read it correctly. Cross ref. with the New Testament and you find all kinds of interesting clues and facts about life as it was back in those times. Finally x-reference this with secular history, and you can uncover some of the most unbelieveable secrets of world history....

still, I understand why many of us have varied beliefs, and there are VERY FEW who would see eye to eye with some of my beliefs, even other christians...

but I think all christians/catholics would agree with that statement, God is Love.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I am a secular humanist according to the belief-o-matic and in reality am a member of the British Humanist Association and the National Secular Society.
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.

Return to “The Close”