Review/Rate Runes of the Earth

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

King a great author? I would prefer not to use the word "hack"...I reserve that word for the Bill O'Reillys of the world. Instead, I prefer to think of King as a middling artist who when driven to to do so, exceeds his normal range and serves up a "dinger" every few years. The DT series is outstanding, as is the Stand, Black House, Salem's Lot.

He does have some real clunkers though too.

Agreed that SRD is in a different league entirely.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

A Gunslinger wrote:King a great author? I would prefer not to use the word "hack"...I reserve that word for the Bill O'Reillys of the world. Instead, I prefer to think of King as a middling artist who when driven to to do so, exceeds his normal range and serves up a "dinger" every few years. The DT series is outstanding, as is the Stand, Black House, Salem's Lot.
Well...I think King has referred to himself as a hack...And I'm not saying he's a terrible writer, but you've got to admit, he's recycled an awful lot of stories.

True hacks: O'Reilly, Michael Moore, Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Tucker Carlson, Anne Coulter, James Carvelle, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Indeed. Jon Stewart got it right. On crossfire he accused both side of (actual use of hte word) "Hackery", and called Tucker Carlson a dick. Stewart is no hack.... and is actually a good source for understanding hte hyposcirisy of both sides.

Plus he's smart enough to vote for Kerry.

ImageImage
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

On Saturday, I wrote out a lengthy review of "Runes", and just as I was about to post it here, my computer crashed. :( This rather deterred me from writing another one, but I think I will have another go - but this time I will submit it to Amazon. So far, there are about 4 interesting positive reviews there, and one solid negative review, so all of the Kevins Watch people need to do their part to liven the review section up, Id say. ;)
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Plus he's smart enough to vote for Kerry.
*sigh*
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

A Gunslinger wrote: Plus he's smart enough to vote for Kerry.

:bwave:
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

Am I the only person who sees something wrong with insulting the intelligence of those who disagree with you politically?
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost, anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I think that would be a terrible thing. But I didn't see it done here?
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

saying that someone is "smart enough to vote for Kerry" necessarily implies that if you don't vote for Kerry, you're simply not "smart enough"

That's all I'm going to say on the subject in this thread. The rest is going to the Think-Tank.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

UrLord wrote:saying that someone is "smart enough to vote for Kerry" necessarily implies that if you don't vote for Kerry, you're simply not "smart enough"

That's all I'm going to say on the subject in this thread. The rest is going to the Think-Tank.

Don't be so dang overly sensitive! I apologize for upsetting anyone who took that the worng way; I was only ribbing. The fact of the matter is that Stewart has more integrity than any of the so-called talking heads (politcal hacks), and had the guts to call them on it from both sides! I was very happy to find out that a fellow of such unbridled integrity was voting for the man I am voting (and hope that you all vote) for!

I sorry for offending anyone who took offense.

Hey, didja hear the one about Cheney, his daughter and the clam bake....?

:twisted:

ImageImage
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

I appologize for taking your statement the wrong way; lately I've been so surrounded by political hatred in the form of vandalism and graffitti that I tend to take to take these statements more seriously than I should. :oops:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

UrLord wrote:I appologize for taking your statement the wrong way; lately I've been so surrounded by political hatred in the form of vandalism and graffitti that I tend to take to take these statements more seriously than I should. :oops:

Don't worry about it. Like I say, emotions run high at times like these... I am at fault as well.

:P

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Ur-Lord..I did make a topic of this in the think tank if you want to weigh in!

Take care buddy!

ImageImage
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

A Gunslinger wrote: ......

Hey, didja hear the one about Cheney, his daughter and the clam bake....?

:twisted:
Now that's just NASTY!! :lol:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I was gleefully pushing the envelope there...hey if we can't laugh at others...who can we laugh at?

Nice Avatar.

ImageImage
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Runes gets * 1/2 stars out of **** for me.

Boring, pointless, contrived, one-dimensional characters, little suspense, very little that is new, time mechanics aren't quite logical and are confusing, Stave's conversion to Linden's "side" was laughable and the concept seemed childish, reasons for many characters choices didn't seem convincing, Linden is a moron, writing is inconsistent, no memorable scenes except the very last, unconvincing emotional writing, first in series set up book writing, obvious and blatant "first you have to answer my question" exposition at every turn, did I mention the purely one-dimensional characters?

Only thing I liked about it was the time idea and the very, very last scene, otherwise, I wish I had my ten hours back, and I wish SRD had never written it.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

So, if it's as bad as all that, I'm assuming you won't bother wasting your time reading the other three books?
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

It's a set up book, each of the next will probably be better than the previous, while the last will probably not be as good as the middle two.

Now that I've bothered to read Runes, I will read the rest.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”