Just bought "A Game of Thrones"

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Baradakas
Lord

Just bought "A Game of Thrones"

Post by Baradakas »

Just got it, and as I am embroiled in the Elminster series, it may be a while before I can get to it, but as all of you rave about this series, I figured I better give it a try.....

I'll update once I've read a few chapters.....

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

ASOIAF seems to be one of those works of literature that many people love (I am one of them) -- and that many people find unreadable...

Hope you are one of the former. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the few books I found so magical that I wish I could re-experience the joy I felt the first time I read it. :) (Pressfield's Gates of Fire is another book that I wish I could read again for the first time...) 8)
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

AGoT is, in an odd way, kinda like LFB: put on your "tough" skin! :D It's a fabulous series, but Martin doesn't pull any punches...
fall far and well Pilots!
Dani
Woodhelvennin

Post by Dani »

You will be reading about some of my FAVORITE characters :D I really hope you enjoy it!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I recently bought it too. I love it so far. What a great opening to a novel. It hooks you right from the gate. I can't wait to get some quite time to really get into it. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I'm pretty excited... some of my most respected friends (here) have raved about it for too long already.... so.....

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

My brother describes it as .8 Donaldson units of darkness. Like Mirror of her Dreams only longer.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Well, I finished the Elminister books, which were sorta pathetic, so I'll be starting Game in the next day or so.

-B

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Awesome, awesome awesome!!!!! A Game of Thrones is a truly masterful work!!! He sure hits below the belt though, doesnt he?

When,
Spoiler
they executed Eddard,
I realized that I could count on nothing in these books.

Well, off to A Clash of Kings!!!

-B

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Martin hooked me with the Stark children finding the direwolf pups. And I've never looked back.

Martin is revolutionizing the epic medieval fantasy genre. If I was writing in this genre, I would read Song of Ice and Fire and despair. Reminds me of a line from the James Bond song - "Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sorry for the rest."
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

He hooked me with a large cast of characters that are flawed. These people are real. That's why I care about them. He's not afraid to hurt them. That's why I want to find out what happens to them. Other writers could do well if they follow two rules. Create people and hurt them.

I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice right now. Not enough real people. Not enough pain. Hardly any complexity at all.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Oh, Hobbs will give her characters a whole lotta paining' before she's done with them. :wink: Almost too much...I nearly couldn't make it through the third book of that series when it seemed like
Spoiler
the endless and painful journey to get up into the mountains was never ever going to end. :roll:
Expect some major changes and challenges for her characters, as the series rolls on. :wink:

She is a fairly good writer, but I prefer Martin's vivid characters. :)

And if you've ever read Bujold's Vorkosigan books, you'll know exactly where Tyrion Lannister comes from. He's the anti-Miles. :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Indeed, the scene with the wolfpups and Jon Snow going back to find GHOST, it really seems to play out in front of you, you almost feel the emotions that Jon experiences, I identify with his character quite a bit, being alone and cast out, a seperate person among the family, cheers and glad that you're into the series.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I am truly beginning to like Tyrion. But Jon Snow and Daeranys (sp?) are my favs.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You'll see lots of, my man, Tyrion in Clash! :S
fall far and well Pilots!
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Yeah, Tyrion is a clever one, and who knew what the heck Stannis was up to till it 'happened'!!! There are just so many shocks in these books, that I honestly don't know what to expect next. I love that.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Tyrion is great, but now that I have started A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow, I begin to like Jaime a little as well.

Who I do like are Maegery Tyrell ad Olenna Tyrell. The queen of thorns rocks, and I am starting to warm to Sansa more and more.

Who I am NOT warming to is Lysa Arryn, and I don't even know that much about her.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Jaime's story is a good one, vs, and really shows him in a different light. Martin tends to do that - maybe a little too often, considering who the first new aFfC PoV was.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Getting interested in Bran now, and his

Spoiler
'third eye'

These books are so good I can hardly take it!

-B

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

LOL Most people don't like Lysa. In fact, you will probably learn to HATE her. 8O :wink:

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”