The Ice Cream Appreciation Thread

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ok now I know I'm certifiably insane--I just opened my freezer and found that I have 3 pints of Haagen Daz: Swiss Vanilla Almond, Coffee and Vanilla that have never been opened! :screwy:
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

danlo...

Dude, I don't have any idea how to respond to that.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:MIT makes carbonated ice cream.
www.boston.com/news/science/articles/20 ... th_sizzle/
I can't wait to try it. It just sounds too cool!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I gotta tell everyone about this.....one of my favorite brands of store bought ice cream is Mayfield (as mentioned in an earlier post.) Currently, Mayfield is holding a competition between 4 new flavors, and voting is done online:

www.mayfielddairy.com/

If you truly love ice cream, and if Mayfield is available in your part of the country, you MUST try the blueberry creaam flavor. It is, without a doubt, the best store bought ice cream I've ever had. It's a cream cheese flavored ice cream with blueberry swirl and tiny pieces of sugar cookies spread through out.

If you love chocolate, the double chocolate Moose Tracks is really good too. I haven't tried the other new flavors yet.
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Lots of vanilla ice cream spooned into an iced coffee :S
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I'm on a diet - so I can't have any ... but I can imagine a NICE HOT FUDGE sundae - with Coffee ice cream - Gooey oooey HOT FUDGE ... mounds of whipped cream ... and nuts.... and of course a cherry on top!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

The Ice Cream Appreciation Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Here's Why Soviet Ice Cream Was The Best In The World

Ice-cream. (Credit: Counselling (c) | Pixabay)

The Culture Trip Ltd. — Traditional Soviet era ice cream was so famous in USSR that even nowadays old Russian food factories are trying to produce similar kinds using old recipes. Back in the old days, even foreigners knew about the amazing ice cream and would say there are just three reasons to visit USSR: The Russian ballet, the state circus, and ice cream. But what exactly made it so popular? Here’s the answer.

Back in ’30s, the Russian state made some different changes in the food policy of the country and established standards of ice cream production. According to the new rules, the factories were allowed to use only fresh ingredients, no chemical additions. That’s why the ice cream had a particularly fresh milky taste. Plombir, Chocolate Eskimo, and Lakomaka were kinds of ice cream popular among children and their parents.

Ad for Glavholod ice-cream. (Courtesy of Glavholod)

(click for more)
Spoiler
Soviet era ice cream was sold in small shops, cafes, and little kiosks outside in a small packages of 50, 80, and 100 grams. Soviet-style cafes served it with toppings, where you could order ice cream with chocolate, caramels, fruits, and nuts. There was a limit per person in one place. GUM department store located in Moscow was considered to be one of the most popular and centrally located with their own culinary ice cream; the whole country knew about it. GUM was the first with Russian creme-brulee, vanilla and chocolate ice cream covered in the tasty waffle cup, and it was undoubtedly one of the most popular deserts among visitors.

Soviet era ice cream was also famous for changing its package according the season and creating different advertising campaigns, for this reason, back in ’50s, you could easily find an eskimo ice-cream wrapped in silver foil with a beautifully designed sticker; posters with different animals would adorn kiosk walls. For example, one of the most famous posters was a poster of a seal and a polar bear both eating an ice cream. Plombir and Lakomka were the most expensive in the USSR, their price varied from 26 to 50 kopecks (Russian cents), and both were cooked exclusively with high-quality milk and chocolate with natural toppings and additions. Russians loved to eat it with honey, local jam, and fruits. The price of a local sorbet varied from 7 to 12 kopecks and was sold in a coloured paper. It was famous among adult population of USSR.

Unfortunately the end of Soviet era ice cream arrived quite fast. Early in the ’90s, when the USSR state fell apart, the country became interested in imported ice creams. Nowadays, the interest in old Soviet era ice cream standards has grown again, and many factories are starting to use old recipes to create high quality, milky ice cream.

Return to “The Galley”