Liand

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Liand

Post by Revan »

:) What do you think of our latest Stonedowner? i know there's got to be more in the Third Chronicles than is already given to him.... he seems there for a convenience; nothing else... there's got to be more in store for him in the future books. Unless he's there to die. :?

What do you think?
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Spoiler
I think a rival for Linden's affections with Covenant. He obviously has the hots for her in an earth mother kind of way and she's oblivious. The bath scene with the towel in Revelstone was a dead giveaway. Donaldson has a thing about towels iirc - remember Elena. So it'll be a romantic triangle between Linden, the handsome young stonedowner and the cynical pervy incestuous rapist dead leper in book 2 I suspect.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

native wrote:
Spoiler
I think a rival for Linden's affections with Covenant. He obviously has the hots for her in an earth mother kind of way and she's oblivious. The bath scene with the towel in Revelstone was a dead giveaway. Donaldson has a thing about towels iirc - remember Elena. So it'll be a romantic triangle between Linden, the handsome young stonedowner and the cynical pervy incestuous rapist dead leper in book 2 I suspect.
ARGH!!!!! No way!!!! Gross!!! :hairs:

heh, good suggestion. :)

incestuous? Thomas isn't that... he denied Elena remember? :P

No, Linden loves Thomas way too much... Liand could never rival him in anyway in regards to Linden's love.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

jesus... omg... I reread the Runes... And I completely see your point Creator... *barf* She can't get with him... she's 40, he is 20... it says that he "looked half her age." no way... couldn't happen... and if it does, I'm not going to read the Last Chronicles anymore.
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Darth Revan wrote:jesus... omg... I reread the Runes... And I completely see your point Creator... *barf* She can't get with him... she's 40, he is 20... it says that he "looked half her age." no way... couldn't happen... and if it does, I'm not going to read the Last Chronicles anymore.
Oh, come now. Lena was half Covenant's age, and she didn't even consent. Did that stop making you read the First Chronicles? Then Liand shouldn't stop you in the Last.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Darth Revan wrote:And I completely see your point Creator.
I thought it was my point :D
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Variol Farseer wrote:
Darth Revan wrote:jesus... omg... I reread the Runes... And I completely see your point Creator... *barf* She can't get with him... she's 40, he is 20... it says that he "looked half her age." no way... couldn't happen... and if it does, I'm not going to read the Last Chronicles anymore.
Oh, come now. Lena was half Covenant's age, and she didn't even consent. Did that stop making you read the First Chronicles? Then Liand shouldn't stop you in the Last.
Yes it should, and it will. The only real reason I ever liked Linden in the Second Chronicles was because of the love story between her and Thomas... if I see that ripped apart because she feels something for this little pussy that's following her around, I'm not going to read anymore. Linden made me sick enough in Runes, it's going to make me sicker if she falls in love with this loser.
native wrote:
HAHAHA!!! Sorry :oops: I'm used to only responding to his messages! Not enough people respond! Sorry, I agree with your point Natice :lol:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I agree with Native; I can see Liand being a slightly troublesome aspiring romantic rival in the future books. I don't necessarily think Linden will spurn him either. She relies on him, as she used to rely on Covenant. Not in quite the same way though - she feels the need to protect him. In fact, now I think about it, she seems to regard him in almost a motherly way.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

native wrote:
It was - but it must have been so good that I stole it! :lol: :lol:
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CovenantJr wrote:I agree with Native; I can see Liand being a slightly troublesome aspiring romantic rival in the future books. I don't necessarily think Linden will spurn him either. She relies on him, as she used to rely on Covenant. Not in quite the same way though - she feels the need to protect him. In fact, now I think about it, she seems to regard him in almost a motherly way.
I'm not kidding/.. If She gets with him... I'm not going to read anymore... I really don't like him.
JD
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by JD »

First of all, what makes you think that just because she asked Liand to hold her to help her warm up, that she was in love with him? She's in her 40's, maybe late 40's and he's probably 18-21 years old. He admires her true but in his eyes she surpasses him in every way he can imagine. She loved Covenant, probably the only person besides her parents she's ever loved. Besides friendship and respect she's shown no interest in Liand as a lover. Liand has more chance of getting some action from the Mahdoubt
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Also, Pahni and Liand are showing the signs of affection toward each other. Liand is fascinated by Linden, to the point of hero worship. She is the epitimy of his so far mundane, blind life. She opened up the Land to him. I don't believe this is "romance", it is more love gleaned from hero worship.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

JD wrote: Liand has more chance of getting some action from the Mahdoubt
:haha: :haha: I think you right on that one.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Does anyone think it was odd that Liand showed up in Linden's room with the Mahdoubt? It struck me as such.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
saera
Ramen

Post by saera »

Odd? No. Liand seems just admiring of her - admiring of what she's experienced, maybe a bit jealous. It's not strange since he's young and looking for adventure, that he wants to be near her at all times. As for romantic feelings, I agree with Furls Fire, Pahni + Liand would be a likelier match. :)
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I guess this runs along the line of speculation that thinks Liand is more than he seems.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Furls Fire wrote:Also, Pahni and Liand are showing the signs of affection toward each other. Liand is fascinated by Linden, to the point of hero worship. She is the epitimy of his so far mundane, blind life. She opened up the Land to him. I don't believe this is "romance", it is more love gleaned from hero worship.
Oh! I hope so Furls! I really do... that way he can stay away from Linden. :P
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

My book is at home, and I am at work, but in my reading this morning I came across a place where Liand states right out to Linden that his purpose is to show the Masters that they are mistaken in what they have done to the Land. I think that sums up what may well become of this character quite well. :) :wink:

As for the "romance", it seems like friendship on her part, and hero worship on his. :)

And it wouldn't necessarily bother me if there were to be more (as long as there is a good reason for it in the story). 40ish guys think 20ish girls are attractive all the time and vice versa. So why is it sickening if its the other way around, with a 40ish girl and a 20ish guy? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Linden loves Covenant far too much for her to easily become romantically or sexually involved with anyone else. Donaldson would have to make a romance between Liand and Linden pretty darned convincing for me to believe it. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I see liand as the "sacrificial lamb". My guess; he'll be dead by the fourth book with any luck. Or he'll be a new earthpower weilder, like a radhamaeral/lillianril combo, or maybe SRD will simply blow us all away with what he becomes.....
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

My guess is that SRD will be blowing us away with just about everything that is to come, and all of our speculation will be dirt. About everything. He's too clever for his own good, thankfully. :D

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”