The Domne
23%
The Armigite
5%
The Fayle
5%
The Termigan
5%
The Demense: Joyse, King or does he count?
No votes

Total votes: 22

danlo
Lord

Favorite "Caretaker" and why?

Post by danlo »

We already have a topic and poll about "which Care in Mordant you would want to live in", but after the discussion we just had in Casting the Augury I thought it might be interesting to focus in on the lords or the "Caretakers" themselves.
Last edited by danlo on Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I gotta go with the Perdon on this one. I love the Domne and the Tor, without question...and the Termigan is a rock of strength (I don't want to be forgiven the pun, so don't feel like you have to).

But there's something about the Perdon that just draws me again and again. He's so fierce, so angry, so prepared to fight to the last man to defend both his Care and Mordant...and
Spoiler
his "annhilation" just wrings my heart every time I read it.
He's magnificent in a raging, doomed sort of way that I can't help but admire hugely.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I wholeheartedly argee with you about the Perdon, the Tor and the Domne. The Tor is probably my second choice such a character, such a voice of reason in Orison.
Spoiler
such a hero, really
But I went with the Termigan. I'm little bit anti-Imager, but I really like his no-nonsense approach to things.
Spoiler
And, along with Darsint, he truly saves the day, in the end.
I think the Fayle is probably the coolest (I can't see anyone but Patrick Stewart playing him)--and I probably should have voted for the Tor overall--but, in accordance with my personality, if I were born in Mordant to be a "Caretaker" I would be the Termigan.

As Desi says to Lucy, if anyone votes for the Armigite, I think: "...you have a whole lot of splaining to do." :P
Last edited by danlo on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I'll have to go with the Armigite.... I mean he's so brave... so honorable...

:P
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Somehow I just knew you'd be the one... :roll:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:Somehow I just knew you'd be the one... :roll: :P

:P

Nah, seriously, it's got to be the Tor. He is amazing. The things he does to help. His nature... you gotta love him 8)
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

:lol: Really, danlo, what did you expect? You basically set yourself up for that one! :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:As Desi says to Lucy, if anyone votes for the Armigite, I think: "...you have a whole lot of splaining to do." :P
:P I didn't actually read this until I voted and posted. :P
Myste wrote:
:lol: Really, danlo, what did you expect? You basically set yourself up for that one! :D
Yeah, it's all danlo's fault ;)

heh, he rules! :D
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Nothing for the Domne yet--odd :?
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Maybe he's just too obvious a choice. Everyone takes it for granted that he's the #1 Favorite Care-taker of All Time, and to make the poll interesting, people list their 2nd favorite.

Maybe. :?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Does this mean the Domne is the "leper outcast" of the Caretakers?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Myste wrote:Maybe he's just too obvious a choice. Everyone takes it for granted that he's the #1 Favorite Care-taker of All Time, and to make the poll interesting, people list their 2nd favorite.

Maybe. :?
yeah, I think so too... i think all Caretakers... with the exception of the Armigite :P have all good qualties. :)
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Darth Revan wrote:yeah, I think so too... i think all Caretakers... with the exception of the Armigite :P have all good qualties. :)
The Armigite, from what I understand, is a very snappy dresser. Could that be considered a good quality? At least he has taste...even if he is a snivelling , whiny, puling little coward with less backbone than a decomposing sea cucumber.

:D Boy, that felt good. I love ragging on the Armigite. :twisted:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:D This I like!--------->less backbone than a decomposing sea cucumber. :haha:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I said the Tor. Not only is he my favorite Care Taker, but he is my favorite character in the two books. :)

As to why -- here is man who does not fit the stereotypical fantasyland hero whatsoever. He is older, overweight, often drunk, and deeply mourning the death of his son.

And yet, to me, he is the greatest hero in Mordant. :D
Love as thou wilt.

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I had to say the Tor simply because I cared so much about him. His character was one that I really felt was "alive" throughout the story. He is there for so much of it and he is always acting so.. like the Tor would act.

First read (in pre-adolescence) I would have probobly said Perdon or Termigan, but 2nd read on It was definately the Tor. I came to appreciate him and Lebbick MUCH more reading the books as an 18 year old. Lebbick especially astonished me. I went in with so much hate for him,
Spoiler
but his end made me want to cry this time. Anyway, the Tor's end was the only one that really got to me. The Perdon had been out of the story for so long I said to myself "oh yeah, the bald guy. Sucks for him".
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

the Domne only because he really helped with his sons while also being able to stand up to the king and become his friend in the past.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

It's definitely the Tor for me. The things he did for his land, his king, his people are simply beyond amazing. And I thought it was very telling that during the big battle the young Imager from his Care (who was translating that ravine) went insane with grief when he heard that the Tor died. Obviously the Tor doesn't only love he is also very greatly loved by his people as well.

While the Domne was a great guy and a great friend I don't really see him as a ruler. He seems more like the head farmer of the county.

Now the Perdon on the other hand... After the Armigite he was my least favorite among the Caretakers. Sure he was a great fighter and valiantly fought on against his foes to the bitter end. I don't question that, but from what little we saw of him during his visit to Orison, there's not much else to like in him.

Where to begin? He was a womanizer as we see from his interactions with Terisa and the king's daughters. He's not interested in having a family unlike most of the other Caretakers. Like Mater Eremis and Terisa's father he's into one-night stands. Leading to how smarmily swell he gets on with Master Eremis. It says something about a person if he likes Master Eremis.

I think he's a good example of the influence Alend and Cadwell have on the Cares that are directly on their border. There is a touch of the Cadwell in the Perdon.
Coercri
Stonedownor

Post by Coercri »

I had to go with the Fayle with the Domne & Tor close behind. I actually enjoyed the Domne & Tor's characters more but admired the Fayles stoic strength & level head.
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

The Tor. Though the Domne and the Fayle are close behind.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”

Return to “Mordant's Need”