Portrayal of Women in TCOTC

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

na-ring wielder
Servant of the Land

Portrayal of Women in TCOTC

Post by na-ring wielder »

HI

I was wondeing if there had been any discussions on the portrayal of women in the discussion forum (I'm a newbie)

It seems to me that the female characters are much better defined than in other fantasy books (particularly LOTR)

As a man I find the female characters quite believable.....reflecting the characteristics of women I have met throughout my life. Do any women have any views on this subject?....or on the portrayal of men....TC himself is the perfect Anti-hero as there is a little of him in all of us.

Contradiction is the essence of life!

J
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I love the female characters in all of Donaldson's works. Elena, Osondrea, Tamarantha, Shetra, Loerya, Amatin, Atiaran, Lena, Linden, Morn, Mikka, Min, Koina, Sorus, the list goes on. I don't want to rubbish the journeys of Covenant or Angus or Davies, but I have always found the female chaacters to be much fuller.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Donaldson has wonderful female characters -- for example, I have long thought that Princess Myste functions as sort of a personal mouthpiece for the author's idealism in his Mordant duology. She has these wonderful lines about the nature of people. :)

He is not afraid to show women as both strong and as fragile -- and everything in between, as with Terisa, Morn, and Linden. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

yes, it's decidedly nice to see women as something other than, "Oh, look, it's our token female badass" or "Ooh, a tavern wence!" I have always had that problem with fantasy...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Re: re

Post by duchess of malfi »

fightingmyinstincts wrote:yes, it's decidedly nice to see women as something other than, "Oh, look, it's our token female badass" or "Ooh, a tavern wence!" I have always had that problem with fantasy...
Yes, or the spoiled, headstrong, bratty princess...or the powerful female magic user with terminal PMS :wink:

And its great to see you back, FMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
Love as thou wilt.

fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

*bows* Yes, I am indeed back! And this time, with a COMPUTER!
Wow, my previous post on this thread should have been more detailed...but it was late and I was tired...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

I've only read mordant's need and the first two chronicles, but from what I saw there I thought SRD did a fairly good job with female characters in general, but specifically Linden Avery was a really great character. In most of the other female characters I saw a specific ideal or quality personified, but in Linden he managed to make a character who was convincingly female and ALSO convincingly disturbed. It shows great skill IMHO to make a character different from yourself, and then work with that character at such a personal level. She is a great representation of a woman who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome acquired at an early age.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

JemCheeta wrote:specifically Linden Avery was a really great character
Argh! We already have enough Linden lovers, without another one swelling the ranks :evil:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Jem - if you haven't already, you should watch the SRD clip regarding favorite characters (located on the SRD website.) He tells a great story about why Linden is so important to him.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yes...on that basis I had to cancel my plans to tell him how awful Linden is when I see him ;)
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

I think he writes TCOTC women much like he writes his other characters in the series. They're not dominated by their being women (which I felt a little of in Mordant's Need), but by their "issues" (to use psychobabble terminology). And a lot of the characters in TCOTC are most definable by their psychological scars/problems, not necesarily the cliche categories they might fall into (mysterious wizard, brave knight, general-purpose damsel etc.). Just a quick reaction while surfing late at night.
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I love the way SRD portrait the women in TCTC! With most characters it almost feels like gender was determined a long time after the character had developed.

I like that kind of writing: not letting the gender determine what kind of character it will be and thereby not falling into a lot of sexistic traps (which exists everywhere and are almost impossible to avoid since we are/were raised in a rather sexistic environment and probably have rather weird values. That is if we compare ourselves to future generations (I hope :roll: ))
SLATFATF...
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Right, I think it's excellent that it starts with a character concept, and the flaws therein... where I think SRD excells is that he can take a pile of flaws and strengths that ignore gender bounderies, and then view it through a lense of gender to alter it in the subtle ways that reflect femininity without resorting to stereotypes.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Well said.

Linden's still a gitette though ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

She is not! :evil: (Didn't we have a razzberry emoticon? Why can't I find it??? Arrgh!)

Anyhow. I agree with the earlier posters. SRD's women characters aren't just window-dressing -- they're actual people. It's very refreshing. Particularly in genre fiction.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I think the emoticon you're looking for is :|
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Well, I guess I will just take your word on it. (after all, how would I know, I am concave) SRD's Girls are unusual in a genre dominated by men. (It's not just main characters, he puts girls everywhere in The Land. Think of Shetra, Veremont, that warhaft chick, etc.)

In books like Lord of the Rings, the only time you ever see a chick is when she has the hots for Aragorn. (Which makes sense for what he was doing. Are there any chicks in Beowulf?)

P.S. My literary spider sense is going crazy, too many damn parenthesis. Oh well.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Dreaming wrote:Veremont
Verement was a man :P
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

CovenantJr wrote:
The Dreaming wrote:Veremont
Verement was a man :P
Oh crap... That’s right, he was Shetra's husband right? There *was* another female lord though wasn't there? The one with the Daughters... Can't remember...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Osondrea? Loerya? Amatin?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”