The Saddest Moment (Films or Books)

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Infelice
Lord

The Saddest Moment (Films or Books)

Post by Infelice »

This weekend I was lucky enough to actually sit and listen to a couple of the Lord of the Rings stars talk about their experiences.

John Noble (Lord Denethor) was especially interesting to listen to. One aspect he raised was the saddness in the movies. Why he was thinking about sadness at this time eludes me (maybe it was because he had just come from a signing session where 75% of the people by-passed him on their way to getting a Sean Astin autograph). The story has many sad moments ( but it is ultimately not a sad story ).

He posed this question to start some discussion: What was the saddest moment (for you) in the movies?

It got me thinking. I can identify many sad moments. For me, 2 immediately spring to mind.
The first being the doomed cavalry charge on Osgiliath while Pippin was singing to Denethor. A box of tissues could not dam the tears that flowed from my eyes during those scenes. The look on Faramirs face when Denethor dismissed him, the saddness in the faces of the people as they presented flowers to the riders as they set forth on their doomed attempt to wrest Osgiliath from the hordes that had overrun it, the bravery of those men as they began their assault * sob * :cry: :cry: :cry:

The second was when Sam, Frodo and Gollum were climbing the long steep staircase of Cirith Ungol ( I hope thats the right name Im using there ) and Frodo falls prey to Gollum's suggestions that Sam has designs on capturing the ring for himself and subsequently sends Sam away. My heart bled for Sam at that point. His love and devotion for Frodo had been warped by Gollum. He was bereft of his one purpose, to watch over Frodo. His faithfulness and loyalty were cast aside in favour of the scheming, conniving Gollum. Poor Sam! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now I would like to pose the question to you. What do you consider was the saddest moment or some of the saddest moments of the story (either books or films) ?
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

For me it was in the book (appendix, actually) when Arwen went to Lothlorien to lie down amoung the elanor flowers, tasting the sad gift of death.

The movie didn't capture this as succinctly, though it was pretty sad, as well.

And watching that Elf (name?) at Helm's Deep look around at all the dead men as he died, thinking he wasn't supposed to end like this; very moving.
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

The part I found saddest also didn't make it into the movie... when Frodo sails off to the Grey Havens and Sam says goodbye to him, knowing he'll never see him again in this life or the next.

:(
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Most of the Silmarillion was very sad... the battle where lava destroyed most of the Elves and Men... that was upsetting... and when the Prince went to fight Morgoth and cut up his leg... or when the Elf betrayed the whereabouts of a Elven city to Morgoth... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Dromond wrote:For me it was in the book (appendix, actually) when Arwen went to Lothlorien to lie down amoung the elanor flowers, tasting the sad gift of death.

And watching that Elf (name?) at Helm's Deep look around at all the dead men as he died, thinking he wasn't supposed to end like this; very moving.
Sigh.... Haldirrrrrrrrr :cry: :cry: :cry:
Wouldnt it be incredible if some of the moments in the appendices were actually included on the extended DVD?? But then again i think a whole disc would need to be devoted to the appendices. The word is that the inclusions on the ex dvd are fantastic.
Edge wrote:... when Frodo sails off to the Grey Havens and Sam says goodbye to him, knowing he'll never see him again in this life or the next.
I do believe that there is a happy ending to that part Edge. In the Complete Guide to Middle-Earth it states that ....

[In FO82, after the death of his wife, Sam sailed over Sea, which he was permitted to do because he had been a Ring-bearer.]

So I guess the two friends do finally become re united. :)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Infelice wrote:
Dromond wrote:For me it was in the book (appendix, actually) when Arwen went to Lothlorien to lie down amoung the elanor flowers, tasting the sad gift of death.

Sigh.... Haldirrrrrrrrr :cry: :cry: :cry:
Wouldnt it be incredible if some of the moments in the appendices were actually included on the extended DVD?? But then again i think a whole disc would need to be devoted to the appendices. The word is that the inclusions on the ex dvd are fantastic.
Edge wrote:... when Frodo sails off to the Grey Havens and Sam says goodbye to him, knowing he'll never see him again in this life or the next.
I do believe that there is a happy ending to that part Edge. In the Complete Guide to Middle-Earth it states that ....

[In FO82, after the death of his wife, Sam sailed over Sea, which he was permitted to do because he had been a Ring-bearer.]

So I guess the two friends do finally become re united. :)
Unless Sam doesn't make it... but I suppose he does... It also saddened me when it said: (not an exact quote, but hopfully you know what I'm on about)
After King Elessar died; Legolas built a ship and passed over the Sea. With him, it was said, went Gimli, and there came the ending to the Fellowship of the Ring in Middle Earth.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I just finished watching ROTK (and using a box of Kleenex) again. There was one moment near the end of the movie where Sam and Frodo were climbing Mount Doom and they are almost to the entrance when Frodo collapses from sheer exhaustion.... the burden of carrying the ring has all but overcome him.

Sam cradles his dear friend in his arms trying to stir some last remaining vestige of hope and life from him....

Sam: Do you remember the taste of strawberries?

Frodo: No Sam. I cant recall the taste of food; nor the sound of water; nor the touch of grass. Im naked in the dark...... with nothing, no veil between me and the way of...fire. I can see him with my waking eyes......

Sam: Then let us be rid of it!!! Once and for all!!!! Come on Mr Frodo!!!!!
I cant carry it for you but I can carry you !!!!!

Come on!!!!!!!

And with that affirmation he heaves the limp near lifeless body of Frodo over his shoulders and looks up the mountain, grits his teeth with determination and begins to stagger towards the entrance to the Cracks of Doom.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Yeah, that was very sad infe. :cry:

I also thought it was sad when Sam looked down at Gollum... when he was on Mount Thunder. And couldn't kill him... because he realised how much Gollum was suffering. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Scenes which move me to tears everytime, besides Infelice's, which is one of my all-time favorites:

Bilbo at Rivendell.

Boromir's death scene.

Sam almost drowning as he sees Frodo leaving him at the river, and Frodo reaching into the water to grasp his outstretched hand.

Gandalf healing Theoden, and Theoden realizing what has happened to himself and his son.

Aragorn's parting with Arwen.

The lighting of the beacons.

Denethor's funeral pyre.

Aragorn's rejection of Eowyn.

Pippin singing as Faramir charges to his doom to retake Osgiliath.

Theoden's death scene.

Gandalf and Pippin near the end of the siege of Minas Tirith.

Virtually all of Frodo and Sam's scenes after the attack by Shelob.

Virtually all of the many farewell scenes. And also Gandalf's reunion with Frodo in both Fellowship and Return.

And incredibly enough, I'm not a person who cries easily at movies. Which is testament to how powerful and wonderful these films are. The cinematic achievement of our times.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Jonas
Servant of the Land

Post by Jonas »

The one that always gets me is Merry talking about Theoden, and never getting to have the smoke with him.
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

In the books...
The first time I read the books, I bawled when Gandalf fell in Moria...seriously, bawled (okay, I was only, like, 12...)

When Sam thinks Frodo was killed by Shelob's sting..."'Don't leave me here alone! It's your Sam calling. Don't go where I can't follow...'"

And later..."'Good-bye, master, my dear!' he murmered. 'Forgive your Sam. He'll come back to this spot when the job's done--if he manages it. And then he'll not leave you again. Rest you quiet till I come...'"

Legolas' song of the fields of Lembennin, and also his song of the sea always sadden me...there's this bittersweet feeling of longing in them that I find irresistably sad and beautiful.

In the movies...
When everyone watches Gandalf fall...Frodo calling his name, having to be dragged away from the sight...and then the hobbits crying about it when they emerge from the mines...even knowing Gandalf would come back, it still made me cry.

When Frodo and Sam are together on that rock, with the lava from the wreckage of Mount Doom...when Sam is talking about Rosie Cotton...I always cry when he says "it would have been her...it would have been her..."
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Adept Havelock
Servant of the Land

Books or Films...

Post by Adept Havelock »

For me it was when Frodo stated that the Shire had been saved, but not for him. A timeless comment on the cost of safety and freedom.

One of the most bittersweet moments I've ever encountered.
Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
And foolish notion.

Robert Burns (1759-1796)
Ingvanye
Servant of the Land

Post by Ingvanye »

For me, Boromir's death, so so sad. I still cry eveytime I watch it. When Sam says he can't carry the ring, but he can carry the suicidal lemming - sorry, I mean Frodo. When Arwen dies - yes the book was so much sadder at that point, but knowing the details in the book and seeing the scene where she wanders, it's a kleenex moment.
But the ultimate sad scene is when Haldir falls, especially after arriving with the Elven Warriors on opening night and the cinema all cheering and clapping. I watched the movie 17 times at the cinema, and only the last two times could I concentrate on the rest of the film after his death.
Then I read a tribute on one of his many, many fansites, and a guy wrote, "He bought them the dawn."
Oh so very sad.....
"...in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever..."
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Boromir and Haldir's death scenes in the movie... not fair!! :cry: :cry: Especially Haldir, who wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Theoden crying over Theodred's death after the funeral, Denethor's rejection of Faramir, and Pippin singing during the charge on Osgiliath rank up there, too... and Faramir's vision of Boromir in the boat after his death. Lastly, during FOTR when Aragorn and Boromir talk of returning to the White City - and we know Boromir won't make it. :(

One of the saddest scenes in the books, for me, revolved around Lothlorien: Legolas saying that he'd never seen the place in its summer glory, though he dearly wished to... then learning that none of the Fellowship would ever see Lothlorien again. I hated the finality of that more than anything else.

Boromir's death and funeral, where Aragorn and Legolas sing his lament, was also a downer... the song really got to me, knowing that Faramir and the rest of Gondor waited for Boromir to return, and he never would.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
LordSlaytan
Servant of the Land

Post by LordSlaytan »

You guys are killing me here.

In the books, I'm always touched by Gimli's love for Galadriel.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

The saddest part I think all of you missed... at the end of Return Of The King... where it says:

THE END!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Saddest moments

Post by taraswizard »

Actually it's a whole series of scenes and rewatching them on cable last nite reinforced their impact. (I already posted this at the hangar)

It starts when Theoden says "Where's Theadred, where's my son?' continues through the internment of Theadred and the people of Edoras fleeing their homes and the journey to Helm's Deep. To me Theoden's loss of future through burying his own son and then the warrior's loss of hope with the loss of Aragorn, the hardship of the people of Rohan fleeing their homes. It's all overwhelming, and definitely a tissue getting moment.

This seems to coincide with some other messages.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I'm with Iryssa; when Sam thinks Frodo is dead-It was very moving not to mention the fact that it followed the most heroic part of the book when Sam killed Shelob--That was the parrt that brough me to tears.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Oh yeah without a doubt, the death of Boromir. When I first read it, it really got me. Boromir was a true passionate soldier of Gondor. And his final commitment and acknowledement of Aragorn's lineage while gasping for life with 6 arrrows in his chest. I was very suprised to see that Jackson really nailed that scene....

I think in the book he died with 6 arrows in his chest not 3 as the movie showed?
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

The saddest part for me in the book was when Gandalf fell (I had read the Hobbit about twice before I read Lord of the Rings and had become quiet fond of the old goat), the story of Sméagol's corruption, watching Frodo go through this too, Theoden's death and the whole part in the Grey Havens.

In the movies... oh... it would have to be the entire Return of the King. The kleenex fest started when Pippen and Gandalf ride to Minis Tirith after the whole ordeal with the palantir. The look that Merry gets on his face when Pippen asks if they'll ever see each other again, and Merry knowing there's a good chance they won't just kills me.

Then when Frodo sends Sam away... gah! That's just not cool.

Watching Frodo suffer brought some tears too. I like Theoden a whole lot too. So, that of course was sad. Faramir riding to Osgiliath with Pippen's song.... ah man.

But the two worst parts in the movie for me where....

1. Aragorn and Arwen meeting the hobbits once he's been crowned and him saying, "My friends... you bow to no one." and then everyone proceeding the bow. That got me.

2. When Frodo is on the ship after Sam looks to about kill him for leaving him and he turns around and gives the first real, happy, carefree smile we see since really the beginning of Fellowship.

I actually didn't cry at Boromir's death. It was sadder for me in the movie than in the book... but... even though I love him for the way he died, I honestly didn't like Boromir very much until his death scene. Something about his character just bugs me. It always has, even since I was a lliiiitttttlllee fourth grader reading the books for the first time.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”