Why you became a fan of Martin?

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Why you became a fan of Martin?

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Hmm, this seems very new, I shall make this post to start up some discussion.

So, I'll say this, what really made me a fan of this series was the scene in which the direwolves are found, when Jon Snow goes back and finds his Albino wolf "Ghost" that is what clinched it for me. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The whole thing, really - good writing, involving story, memorable characters. The first book is probably my favourite of the ones released so far.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The first two chapters, in particular Eddard Stark's handling of the execution, Jon Snow's argument to keep the direwolf pup's, and Catelyn Stark's interaction with her husband. It just snagged me. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Gart
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Gart »

It was reading the "Hedge Knight" in the Legends collection...it was so good, it lead me straight into the main series. 8) Mind you, if I'd've known there was going to be a real five year gap between the books, I might have been less keen. :x
...but in the morning, I will be sober
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I can't (yet) describe myself as a fan of Martin, as I haven't read any of his books. However, the enthusiasm of members of KW has inspired me to read his work (that many SRD fans can't possibly be wrong!). I'm assuming 'A Game Of Thrones' is the place to start?
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

GAME OF THRONES, right, Edge. :D

I read ASOIAF because Khaliban kept after me to. That gave him a chance to intimidate me with his sophisticated theories about what would happen next. :wink:

But why I became a fan? The complicated and often unexpected interplay between all those well-drawn personalities.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Because it is hard-core gritty fantasy that avoids the standard conventions of archetypal characters and conflicts. Nothing cutesy-poo in these books. It's fantasy for adults, plain and simple.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Brinn wrote:Because it is hard-core gritty fantasy that avoids the standard conventions of archetypal characters and conflicts. Nothing cutesy-poo in these books. It's fantasy for adults, plain and simple.
Oh, there are plenty of archetypal characters and conflicts at work, just not in the stereotypical patterns. That's what gives the work its power. And you're right, it's definitely not 'cutesy-poo'.

I only wish GRRM had a somewhat tighter grip on the story than he appears to have. The sheer number of viewpoint characters makes matters rather confusing, and sadly dilutes the emotional impact of individual storylines (which might otherwise be rather overwhelming). And so far he's taken over a million words to cover what was originally meant to be Volume I of a trilogy. I hope we're not looking at another Wheel of Time here.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The other thing was the lack of magic in Westeros, particularly in A Game of Thrones. With the exception of the Others right at the start, and the birth of the dragons right at the end, the only thing odd or fantastical about the world that Martin creates is that the seasons, especially summer and winter, are very long, as in years in length.

For some reason I really loved this about the series. It helped me see past the "fantasy" element and connect with the characters I think.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

It takes a plot with the same basic structure as Eddings Belgariad and stomps every insipid page of it into dust with quality, depth, character and, above all, unpredictability.

And I don't intimidate. I suggest with enthusiasm.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Khaliban wrote:It takes a plot with the same basic structure as Eddings Belgariad and stomps every insipid page of it into dust with quality, depth, character and, above all, unpredictability.

And I don't intimidate. I suggest with enthusiasm.
:lol: LOL :lol: . Of course. But when those giant's feet get to dancing, it takes nerve to try following the steps. :D
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ned.
Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

I was hooked after the very first chapter, honest.
Then I got to the Jamie & Cerci plot and it was like "well, I've never read anything like this before...."
It reminded me a lot about English history. As my professor said "These were not happy families..."
Anxiously awaiting AFOC.....
-Avy
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

I'm a fan of Martin because he passed what I call the 'aeroplane' test. I was on a flight, no make that a series of 4 flights, from Melbourne Australia to Milwaukee USA, a total trip time of 26 hours. You guessed it, I had A Game of Thrones as my 'book of choice'.

The book ended a little before the journey did, but I couldnt put it down from start to finish. GRRM has a great style - he writes wonderful dialogue and is ruthless with his characters. But most of all, I find his books fun - and thats rare for me.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

variol son wrote:The first two chapters, in particular Eddard Stark's handling of the execution, Jon Snow's argument to keep the direwolf pup's, and Catelyn Stark's interaction with her husband. It just snagged me. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
Well said, as that's what I was going to write.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”