WGW Chapter 14 - The Last Bourne

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Xar
Lord

WGW Chapter 14 - The Last Bourne

Post by Xar »

A chapter cloven in two - a time for darkness, a time for joy tempered with clean sorrow.

This is a dark time, it is a time for grieving, a time of sorrow. Danger looms closer with every step taken by Covenant, Linden, the First, Pitchwife, and Sunder - and already death has claimed one of Covenant's companions, one who joined his quest almost at the beginning, and dear to Sunder above all else.

How can we even begin to understand Sunder's suffering? Hollian had been to him a symbol of hope and redemption, almost a blessing to reward him for his choice - to follow Covenant, and trust in his vision of the Land of old. But above all: Hollian had brought light into a life that had been darkened due to the demands of the Clave, the Sunbane, and Mithil Stonedown... The demands which had claimed Sunder's wife, child and mother, and which only his father had had the faith to reject. Is it a wonder then, that Sunder is the true protagonist of this chapter? Something breaks within him when Hollian dies, that much is certain: but is it madness or percipience that leads him to carry her corpse with him through the miles between where she died and Andelain?
"He's going to Andelain," Covenant grated, "He's going to carry her all the way to Andelain. Who do you think he wants to find?"
[...] Linden stared after them and groaned. His Dead! The Dead in Andelain. Nassic his father. Kalina his mother. The wife and son he had shed in the name of Mithil Stonedown.
Or Hollian herself?
Sweet Christ! How will he stand it? He'll go mad and never come back.
Darkness is slowly swallowing the small group of people - headed towards a confrontation with the Despiser himself, surrounded by reminders of the evil caused by the Sunbane, now witnessing the loss of a loved one, and the madness of another... was there any other time during the Quest in which they found themselves in such a dark and terrible situation? The spirits of the whole Quest are weary and anguished with Hollian's death - for she gave her life so that they might be saved, and this is not a sacrifice easily repaid: and the confrontation with Lord Foul looms ever closer.

Yet something is fundamentally different now from the many other moments in which a crisis was reached during the Quest - Bhrathairealm, the Isle, Revelstone. Look at it a little closer. Yes, Sunder is broken, but even though he is oblivious, he walks forward - he seeks still a way through which he might be reunited with his Hollian, and in the meantime, he slowly dies to the eyes of his companions. As we will see in Andelain, he still is fundamentally himself - he is not yet lost. But the First and Pitchwife, Covenant and Linden... is there despair in their hearts? No. There is sadness, of course, and concern for Sunder - sorrow for Hollian's loss, and a burning desire - a real, deep need - to see Andelain, even though it might already be too late. But there is no burning despair, no total loss of hope - they have changed. The fact that the First and Pitchwife appear less and less as we approach Andelain, the fact that Covenant and Linden are closer now, leads us to see how much the Quest has changed both of them - the saviors of the Land, but above all, those who were in need of redemption themselves. It is almost over now - look at the whole journey as the path their souls needed to walk on so that they might be redeemed.

In Linden's heart, the wound dealt by her father's suicide and the murder of her mother no longer festers... the dreadful secret she had been hiding for so many years is now shared, and Covenant's acceptance brings her some solace: but above all, maybe for the first time in her life, she feels not alone - oh, remember how her heart beat when Covenant summoned her after the Banefire caamora! Remember how much she feared his refusal... and how he had held her, he had shared with her all that he is, he had accepted her for who she was, no more and no less. It doesn't matter anymore that he might die, that he might suffer, that they might both perish: she is no longer alone, and all that she has seen, all that she has been through, allowed her to slowly understand what Covenant wants to fight for, the Land that he so loved, and the reasons why he did so. One last thing remains, so that she might see the final truth - a token of what the Land once was, and might yet be, if they succeed. Andelain. It is a need so severe, such a burning desire, only marred by the fact that Linden still feels too powerless, she still feels a little helpless, and her anger towards Foul and his ravages, the Sunbane he crafted to suit his purpose, is mounting. When Covenant suggests that maybe Andelain might not have lasted, Linden can only think that
if it hasn't, I don't care what happens. I'll tear that bastard's heart out. I'll get the power somewhere, and I'll tear his heart out.
She still must learn a final lesson, for which the seeds will be planted in Andelain's fertile soil. And it is time - she could have not learned such lesson anytime before, and so, as Caer-Caveral said, it was good that she didn't enter Andelain when Covenant first did.
"Laughing and weeping rose in her together and could not be uttered. This was Andelain, the heart of the Land Covenant loved. He lay on his face in the grass, arms outspread as if to hug the ground; and she knew that the Hills had changed everything. Not in him, but in her. There were many things she did not understand; but this she did; the bale of the Sunbane had no power here. She was free of it here. And the Law which brought such health to life was worth the price any heart was willing to pay.
That affirmation came to her like a clean sunrise. It was the positive conviction for which she had been so much in need. Any price. To peserve the last beauty of the Land. Any price at all.
Linden doesn't know yet what could the price be... But Andelain's beauty cuts at our hearts. As Covenant himself screams...
"Andelain!"
And Covenant, even though now fundamentally different, still feels nagging doubts and uncertainties. Not about his purpose or his plan - but about the wisdom of some of his choices, such as accepting Sunder and Hollian. And what of Andelain? He needs to see it one last time - put yourself in his place, knowing what he knows about what is going to happen. You know you are going to Mount Thunder to die. You are going to sacrifice yourself in order to save the Land from Lord Foul, after all you have already done, after becoming an integral part of the world itself... Let us then hope and see the beauty of Andelain one last time, to gather the strength of will you need, the peace you crave, the last glimpse of the Land as it once was, and the comfort of familiar voices and faces, the Dead who welcomed you when you last came to the heart of the Land, and whom you will join in a little while. Your old friends, who gave so much for the Land - Bannor, Mhoram, Elena, Foamfollower... Those who loved you when you thought you were unworthy of any love.
How could one not need such love and such serenity to make peace with the world, and prepare for what is to come? For Covenant knows that a terrible trial is ahead of him - a trial in which he will be tested more severely than he has ever been. He holds Linden close, but he dares not share his plan with her - for he knows she would never accept it: she loves him too much, to accept such a plan; and so, the only people from which he may gather strength, the only people who know and who can comfort him, are his Dead.

We are coming full-circle here - as Covenant entered Andelain in search of answers when he came to the wounded Land, he now enters Andelain in search of comfort as he approaches the end of his journey. And as we enter Andelain with him - oh, it's like falling in love for the first time, all over again! From the twisted growth of the fertile sun to the peace and beauty of the hills of Andelain, to every blade of glass, every flower, every nuance of color and fragrance, the sun of loveliness!
As they neared the demarcation, Linden saw it more acutely. Here thronging, tormented brush and bracken, mimosas cracked by their own weight, junipers as grotesque as the dancing of demons, all stopped as if they had met a wall; there a greensward as lush as springtime and punctuated with peonies like music swept up the graceful hillslopes to the stately poplars and red-fruited elders that crowned the crests. At the boundary of the Forestal's reign, mute hurt gave way to aliantha, and the Sunbane was gone from the pristine sky.
Gratitude and gladness and relief made the world new around her as the Soulsease carried the company out of the Land's brokenness into Andelain.
When she looked behind her, she could no longer see the Sunbane's green aura. The sun shone out of the cerulean heavens with the yellow warmth of loveliness.
Here Sunder looms ever closer to madness and death - and yet he stands on the brink of life. Believing Hollian can be saved through mundane means, he tries to force aliantha through her dead lips, and weeps and cries when he realizes she is gone. But this is the darkest hour, just before dawn: for even the tragedy of Hollian's death can be sanctified and turned to good. It is the moment Caer-Caveral waited for all these millennia: a time to be released from service, by giving himself to the Land so that it might be saved. The Dead know the future, and Covenant's intent; and so does the Forestal, after all. And he comes, knowing the hour is upon him: like Glimmermere, he, too, recognizes Covenant's new status, and asks him to step aside, that what needs to be done be done.

In the end, though, it is not Caer-Caveral, but Hile Troy who speaks his farewell to Covenant, begging him not to interfere - because within the ageless Caer-Caveral a part of Hile Troy still lives. It is the farewell of a man to a man, of men who, willingly or not, shared a kinship once because of a woman they both loved, rather than of a Forestal to the Unbeliever.

A last Law must be broken for Covenant to defeat Foul: and as he says to Linden when all is over, as she is going back home:
"Caer-Caveral made it possible. Hile Troy." An old longing suffused his ton. "That was the 'necessity' he talked about. Why he had to give his life. It was the only way to open that particular door. So that
Hollian could be brought back. And so that I wouldn't be like the rest of the Dead - unable to act. He broke the Law that would've kept me from opposing Foul. Otherwise I would've been just a spectator."
So he comes to Sunder, and Hollian's spirit comes with him. It is Sunder who must help him break that last Law: and Hollian now knows the necessity for it. While Caer-Caveral speaks, a battle rages in Sunder's heart - despair against morality. Sunder may be broken, but the reinforced morality he gained during the Quest now stands out as he makes the choice not to attack Caer-Caveral, even though that is what he and Hollian ask of him. He still is the Sunder who always abhorred death, and never forgave himself for the lives he had taken.
"Son of Nassic" - the music contained no command now, but only sorrow - "you must strike me."
Covenant flinched as if he expected Sunder to obey. The Graveller was desperate enough for anything. But Linden watched him with all her senses and saw his inchoate violence founder in dismay. He lowered the krill. His eyes were wide with supplication. Behind the mad obsession which had ruled him since Hollian's death still lived a man who loathed killing - who had shed too much blood and never forgiven himself for it. His soul seemed to collapse inward. After days of endurance, he was dying.
The Forestal struck the turf with his staff, and the Hills rang. "Strike!"
His demand was so potent that Linden raised her hands involuntarily, though it was not directed at her. Yet some part of Sunder remained unbroken, clear. The corners of his jaw knotted with the old obduracy which had once enabled him to defy Gibbon. Deliberately, he unbent his elbow, let the krill dangle from his weak hand. His head slumped forward until his chin rested on his chest. He no longer made any effort to breathe."
But the need of the Land is great, and Sunder does not know the reason why Caer-Caveral and Hollian ask him to strike: they know, however, that good will come from that blow, and they also know that no amount of words will be enough to force Sunder to act. So, it is Caer-Caveral who must act himself, and Hollian with him - even though she grieves due to the suffering she is causing to Sunder.
"Very well", he trilled angrily. "Withhold - and be lost. The Land is ill served by those who will not pay the price of love." Turning sharply away, he strode back through the company in the direction from which he had come. He still bore Hollian's physical form clasped in his left arm.
And the dead eh-Brand went with him as if she approved. Her eyes were silver and grieving.
It was too much. A strangled cry tore Sunder's refusal. He could not let Hollian go: his desire for her was too strong. Raising the krill above his head in both fists, he ran at the Forestal's back."
Sunder! There is but one thing that forces him to act - Hollian's leaving, and with her, all happiness he had found among the dead. He cannot allow her to go - even if it means shedding more blood. To see her spirit and hear her words once more, just to lose her again... who could ever endure such a terrible trial? Who could accept to stand true to his abhorrence of death, and lose the woman he loves forever, after having just found her again?! Linden could stop him, but
"Yet she did not. She had no way to measure the implications of this crisis. But she had seen the pain in Hollian's eyes, the eh-Brand's recognition of necessity. And she trusted the slim, brave woman. She made no effort to stop Sunder as he hammered the point of the krill between Caer-Caveral's shoulder-blades with the force of his life."
[...]
"Smoke curled upward to mark the place where the Forestal had been slain. Yet the night was not dark. Other illuminations gathered around the stunned companions.
From beyond the stump, Sunder and Hollian came walking hand-in-hand. They were limned with silver like the Dead; but they were alive in the flesh - human and whole. Caer-Caveral's mysterious purpose had been accomplished. Empowered and catalysed by the Forestal's spirit, Sunder's passion had found its object; and the krill had severed the boundary which separated him from Hollian. In that way, the Graveller, who was trained for bloodshed and whose work was killing, had brought his love back to life. Around the two of them bobbed a circle of Wraiths, dancing a bright cavort of welcome. Their warm loveliness seemed to promise the end of all pain."
With this one act, a fundamental Law is broken. It is broken through the love that bound Hollian and Sunder as one, so that the blow he deals to the Forestal is dealt by her hand as well. It is broken by the last song of Caer-Caveral, which restores life into Hollian and infuses both she and Sunder with the power of Andelain itself; it is broken when that last song and that last act of love bring Hollian's spirit back into the world. This is the moment in which Foul's defeat becomes possible. It is a moment of hope, of impossible wishes suddenly fulfilled. When Sunder and Hollian come, how can we not be moved? They are together again, in the flesh, and now can we not rejoice at this omen of hope?
Yet, it was paid for in sorrow as well as love. It is the moment in which Caer-Caveral, the last of the Forestals, leaves the world - a man we once had known when he was still a human being, with his failures and his flaws, and probably the only living being on the Land who still remembered Elena and the Lords. He was, in a very real sense, the memory of the Land, and with the passing of the last Forestal, the Land itself loses a blessing, and the Earthpower, a song. Foul's defeat might now be possible...
"But in Andelain there was no more music."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sterling effort, Xar!

Here in Andelain, a man who is twice bereft confronts a man who has twice sacrificed himself for the Land. Hile Troy gave his mortal life for his army at the end of TIW, and now gives his immortal soul for the Land (and Covenant's ultimate victory) in this chapter. So I'll echo Quaan's cry of grief:
Hail, Warmark!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Cael Caveral affirms that Covenant is fundamentally changed. If he didnt really believe it, there should have been no doubt after this statement.
Thomas Covenant, you have become that which I may no longer command. But I must ask this of you that you must grant it
Can you imagine. He can no longer be commanded by a Forestal. Even the old Lords did not have that ability. Or at least the ones we have come to know. Maybe Kevin could have or Berek.

Sunder had to strike or go crazy. I dont think he had any other choice. Hollian is a loss he could not bear and thus he comes to a crux. She speaks to him
"Ah Sunder my dear one, Forgive my death. It was my flesh that failed you, not my love"
Every time I read that I have to reach for a box of Kleenex. And it gets to Sunder even worse.
Helpless to reply. Sunder kept on Gasping as if his life were being ripped out of him
It really surprises me that he doesnt strike immediatly but as you pointed out he has gained a significant morality during the quest and is able to refuse.... almost.

Great work on this Xar!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Ah Sunder...he could have been among the greatest of the Lords had he been born in the former days of the land... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

This chapter is just heartbreaking. And scary, too--I mean, the first time you read it, you have no idea what might be going on. Kill the last Forestal? Kill Andelain??? How can that be right? How can breaking yet another law save the Land? I feel for Sunder so much here--he is seemingly being asked to destroy the last bastion of grace and beauty in the Land for the sake of his own love--he is being asked to be utterly selfish. Could Mhoram have done it? I don't think so.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Does anyone consider it odd that Caer Caveral, virtually the last champion and weilder of Law in the Land, who has struggled for millenia to hold together the Land against the consequences of the weakening and the breaking of Law, would in the end choose to break the Law further?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I don't - it was clear to CC what had to happen in order for Covenant to defeat Foul. And, no one other than CC could have accomplished that, either. He even said "This Law also must be broken."
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

dlbpharmd wrote:I don't - it was clear to CC what had to happen in order for Covenant to defeat Foul. And, no one other than CC could have accomplished that, either. He even said "This Law also must be broken."
Well yes that is what enabled Covenants last reistance.

Its act had amazing consequence!!!!!!!!!
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

Excellent dissection Xar!

This chapter really can fill one with sorrow.
Sunder grieving (in his own way) over Hollian's
lifeless body, the beginning of the end of Andelain,
the sacrifice of the last Forestal, the breaking of yet
another law (even if it is for the good).

There were several points in this chapter that I seen in a different way,
and Xar, your dissection let me view things in a way
I had not seen before.
(It is nice to view a different interpretation on things
and insights of the story.)

As far as Wayfriend's question, Caer Caveral knew
what had to be done and accepted the outcome...
accept the price to pay in order to save the Land.
(Kind of like what Findail had to do concerning Vain's purpose.)
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Roynish wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:I don't - it was clear to CC what had to happen in order for Covenant to defeat Foul. And, no one other than CC could have accomplished that, either. He even said "This Law also must be broken."
Well yes that is what enabled Covenants last reistance.

Its act had amazing consequence!!!!!!!!!
Yep... so amazing, in fact, that SRD has something to say about the far-ranging consequences of that act...
Gradual Interview wrote: Matthew Orgel: [...] One other thing, this mad passion of yours for killing principles was beginning to wear me down at the end of WGW. Was this consciously vindicated by Cear Caverol's breaking of the law of life? Perhaps the only thing in the whole series that affected me as much as the redemption of Covenant and Lindon was Sunder's breakdown after you killed Hollian. (I somehow grew extremely attached to Sunder, I felt he was an important anchor for Covenant and Lindon).

SRD:[...] As for the body-count: what can I tell you? Hope is meaningless if it can't exist in the face, in the very teeth, of death and despair. I don't think it's possible to tell the truth about evil without confronting murder, mayhem, and self-sacrifice. But I'm afraid I don't understand your question as it pertains to Caer-Caveral. I don't believe that there are any conditions under which life can exist without death. It follows, therefore, that between them Caer-Caveral and Elena have opened the door for the utter destruction of the Earth.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I saw that in the GI as well...and can't wait to see how that will all turn out in the Last Chronicles. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And thus, even though he had no choice but to break the Law of Life, Troy's actions open the way for evil in the Land. 8O

And it was such a risk he took in the first place. I mean...the suffering in Andelain in those few days. :(

Andelain, Forgive!

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Mack
Servant of the Land

Post by Mack »

At the begining of this chapter,when they stop for the night after escaping the ur-viles attack.Findial does something unexpected for Vain that puzzles me.
A moment later, Vain appeared.

He emerged from the night into the campfire's small illu-
mination and resumed at once his familiar blank stance. An
ambiguous smile curved his mouth. The passion Linden had
felt from him was gone. He appeared as insentient and un-
reachable as ever. His wooden forearm had been darkened
and charred, but the damage was only superficial.

His left arm was withered and useless, like a congenital
deformity. Pain oozed from several deep sores. Mottled
streaks the color of ash marred his ebony flesh.

Findail.

He did not look at Covenant or Linden, ignored Sunder*s
hunched and single-minded grief; instead, he addressed Vain.

"Do not believe that you will win my heart with bravery."His voice was congested with old dismay, covert and un-
mistakable fear. His eyes seemed to search the Demondim-
spawn's inscrutable soul. "I desire your death. If it lay within
the permit of my Wurd, I would slay you. But these comrades
for whom you care nothing have again contrived to redeem
you."
He paused as if he were groping for courage, then
concluded softly, "Though I abhor your purpose, the Earth
must not suffer the cost of your pain."

Suddenly lambent, his right hand reached out to Vain's left
shoulder. An instant of fire blazed from the touch, cast startling implications which only Linden could hear into the
fathomless night. Then it was gone. Findail left Vain, went
to stand like a sentinel confronting the moonlit prospect of
tile east.

The First breathed a soft oath of surprise. Pitchwife gaped
in wonder. Covenant murmured curses as if he could not
believe what he had seen.

Vain's left arm was whole, completely restored to its
original beauty and function.

Linden thought she caught a gleam of relief from the
Demondim-spawn's black eyes.
Why do you think he did this and then make two more attempts to kill Vain after healing his arm?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have a theory, and this opinion falls into it. Even though Findail seeks to prevent Vain's purpose, he also knows that it may indeed come to pass. If it cannot be prevented, then it should not be allowed to proceed from an injured -- damaged -- Vain. After all, what would the NSOL be like if it was made from a Sunbane-damaged component? So Findail and Vain have a very conflicted relationship.
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

Haha... Vain and Findail's relationship makes me laugh.

I mean... think about it in a different context, forgetting anything about a SoL. Vain is like this ultimate specimen of a man that _any_ girl would love... but he honestly doesn't care.

And then there's Findail, who seems to be getting terribly impatient with the way Vain doesn't pay any attention to him, and attempts to kill him for redemption. But then, every now and again Findail remembers just how much he liked him...

I really do like Covenant's line to Vain after the whole ordeal with the oak that was something like, "Good for you. I hope you're proud of yourself."

It honestly reminds me of a dog.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Wayfriend wrote:I have a theory, and this opinion falls into it. Even though Findail seeks to prevent Vain's purpose, he also knows that it may indeed come to pass. If it cannot be prevented, then it should not be allowed to proceed from an injured -- damaged -- Vain. After all, what would the NSOL be like if it was made from a Sunbane-damaged component? So Findail and Vain have a very conflicted relationship.
I like this theory.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

All hail MM - I thought dissection was dead.
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

Oh wow! I'm being HAILED now?

Sweet. :D
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It is great to see new life in this forum again!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I have a theory, and this opinion falls into it. Even though Findail seeks to prevent Vain's purpose, he also knows that it may indeed come to pass. If it cannot be prevented, then it should not be allowed to proceed from an injured -- damaged -- Vain. After all, what would the NSOL be like if it was made from a Sunbane-damaged component? So Findail and Vain have a very conflicted relationship.
I like this theory.
SRD seems to have answered this one definitively. (Looks like our very own Mack went to the source.)
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:My question is about the healing of Vain's arm by Findial after Vain's battle with the Sunbane damaged ur-viles. I just wonder *why* Findial does this but still seems very determined to destroy Vain.

Findail is--you should pardon the expression--caught between a rock and a hard place. He does NOT want to driven to the extreme necessity of becoming part of a new Staff of Law. (Who would?) But if worst comes to worst, he doesn't want his sacrifice to be flawed--or possibly even wasted--by becoming part of a *damaged* Staff of Law. (Again, who would?) So, from his perspective, Vain's extermination would be fine ("Woo hoo, I'm free!"), but Vain's injury is not ("Oh, fu*k, I'm ruined, and it's all for nothing").

(04/13/2005)

Return to “2nd Chronicles”