Who Was Brought to the Land? (Prologue spoilers)

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Who Was Brought to the Land? (Prologue spoilers)

Post by Aleksandr »

Here’s a question: Just who did get brought into the Land? Linden, Joan and Jeremiah very obviously. But do we know for a fact that Roger is there? And what about the other woman, Sandy? She was right in then middle of the whole business in the woods. Would she have gotten sucked in as well? (Hopefully the Sherrif was too far away to be broght along. He’s way too much of an idiot to play any part in the Land).
Spoiler
Also, just about everyone (except maybe Jeremiah) was badly injured when the summoning took place. Joan, struck and apparently killed by lightning. Roger shot multiple times. Sandy injured by Roger. So anyone brought along must have had some kind of healing. Wild Magic did it for Linden. Was Joan able to heal herself similarly? Or did Lord Foul have to heal her? Could he? And what about Roger? If he’s alive in the Land then someone or something has restored him, as well.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Interesting question....I'd completely forgotten about Sandy. I'd just assumed it was Roger, Linden, Joan, and Jeremiah. Though you make a very good point about:
Spoiler
the multiple gunshot wounds, and how Roger would have been healed, especially given Joan's insanity. More to the point, can we even assume that Roger and Jeremiah are with Joan?
Hmmmmm.....Hadn't thought about that can 'o' worms.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I believe Anele mentions Roger in his speech at the end.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:I believe Anele mentions Roger in his speech at the end.
Yes he does. Sandy and the Sheriff may well be in the Land. It would not shock me.

I am sure that Roger is doing something terrible. I fear he may be posessed by a Raver.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Oh God, not the Sheriff. That bastard.

If he has, I want Linden to ride a caesure back in time (again) and stick that s.o.b. in the desert under a sun of pestilence. It's no worse than he deserves, and probably far better.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I agree. As soon as someone mentioned the possibility of the Sherrif being in the Land, I hoped he was possessed by a Raver for a while, before being finished off with the old Nom treatment :evil:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Well we do have another 3 books with which to find out. I will likely be in my 40's by the end of it (36 now), with the Kerry adminsitration either in its second term, or into John McCain's 1st term.

Do you think SRD has it all outlined?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yes, I do. I don't think he's the type to jump in without knowing where he's going.

And if you'll be in your 40s...good god, I'll be in my late 20s! 8O 8O ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh, fine, you guys. Rub it in. :x Assuming 3 years per book, I'll be old enough for early retirement by the time the last book is published. Yeesh!

I'd forgotten about Sandy, too. I think the sheriff was too far away to be translated (thank the gods!). But Sandy might have been dragged along.

Roger's gotta be in the Land. He and TC have to have it out, once and for all.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Late 20's. :-x

Well, the best I can hope for is that I'll be in my late 40s, still look like I'm in my 30s :wink:, and have my own series written and published. One can dream.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

aliantha wrote:Roger's gotta be in the Land. He and TC have to have it out, once and for all.
I'm itching to see what happens if TC and RC come face to face :twisted:
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

CovenantJr wrote:I'm itching to see what happens if TC and RC come face to face :twisted:
Oh yeah. I want to see that more than any confrontation in the book. Seriously. We've never seen him interact with his son. This would be priceless.
BraulioB
Stonedownor

Post by BraulioB »

I don't think that the Sherriff is in the Land. He wasn't standing on the rocks that everyone else was. SRD wrote that the spot that Roger was standing on was rock with mica in it that reflected the lightning like sparks, so I assume that only those on the stone were brought to the Land. This probably includes Sandy, but not the Sherriff.

B
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That's correct - the specific location is essential in order for the Summoning to take place.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

burgs66 wrote:Oh God, not the Sheriff. That bastard.

If he has, I want Linden to ride a caesure back in time (again) and stick that s.o.b. in the desert under a sun of pestilence. It's no worse than he deserves, and probably far better.
:LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS:

heh, that was funny. :lol:

I thought Sandy was brought along to be honest... because do you remember when Linden called her, and she was already ready? And she been alerted or something? Well... we all know that the Creator didn't appear in this book (As far as we know) what if Sandy saw him?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

*That's* an interesting theory. You're right, Sandy was already getting her coat on or something when Linden called her. She *must* have come with. Hmm, so then what's her role? Foul's innocent hostage?

On a sad note, this also means that she may not survive the end of the last book. Since SRD plans to destroy the Land (oh come on, that's not a spoiler!), I'm assuming that means that everybody who's translated this time is likely going to die in the "real world". Roger did whack Sandy pretty hard -- maybe it's a mortal wound?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Another prologue related question to pose here: Is Linden dead, or at least doomed, in the real world?
We know she was shot and we know the location of the bullet’s entry and exit wounds. But if the bullet did not strike her heart, aorta or spine, might she not survive, especially since emergency medical attention is likely to be readily at hand, unlike TC’s circumstances in the 2nd Cnronicles?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Possibly. But given how final SRD wants the Last Chronicles to be, I think he's going to kill off all the significant "real world" characters.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I agree. They're goners.
brinn18
Stonedownor

Jeremiah

Post by brinn18 »

Spoiler
I would tend to believe you CovenantJr, but one thing I found interesting was that Jeremiah was the only who there was no mention of injury too.... it makes me think that he could survive his trip to the land...
Spoiler

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”